Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Crimson View Post
I don't worry much about what other people think of Kentucky. I've lived in several different areas of the US (DC/NoVA, FL, UT, WA, SoCal, Nashville, Houston, Indianapolis) and I'm very happy to return home after 34 years away. All of those areas have strenghts and weaknesses.

I totally agree with Sundance.

BTW in the photo, "banjo boy" from "Deliverance" is Anderson Cooper, who is on CNN.

ROTFL...thanks for that last comment...hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:14 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Crimson View Post
I don't worry much about what other people think of Kentucky. I've lived in several different areas of the US (DC/NoVA, FL, UT, WA, SoCal, Nashville, Houston, Indianapolis) and I'm very happy to return home after 34 years away. All of those areas have strenghts and weaknesses.

I totally agree with Sundance.

BTW in the photo, "banjo boy" from "Deliverance" is Anderson Cooper, who is on CNN.
When did u live in DC/NoVA (from a current unsatisified resident)?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:03 AM

18 posts, read 60,425 times
Ranking states according to some standard of the quality of education is a dubious undertaking, in my opinion. Does it have any absolute meaning? Apart from that, though, having adopted Kentucky as my home, I do find a large measure of insularity here -- possibly a good thing, not sure. Just a feeling of "We're happy as we are." Seems as though there is no interest in change and/or progress. Of course, "progress" doesn't always mean improved quality of life. I've run into a good many under-educated citizens in several other states, too, but they seem to have more awareness of the world outside their own state.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 AM

407 posts, read 1,264,925 times
State rankings in education mean absolutely zero as far as I can tell. Maryland has some of the highest ranking schools in the nation yet the entire state is filled with people dumber than dirt. Oh sure, we have kids who can test really well on nationally normed tests (don't get me started on those) yet they graduate stupid as hell. Not to mention that there are severe gang problems in every city in this state. If I had kids in school, which I don't, give me any small town in Kentucky where the schools rank 47th out of 50 as opposed to a school here that ranks high but turns out stupidity, not to mention equally stupid teachers who are paid an outrageous amount of money because of their union (I am for teachers making good money who deserve it). Those rankings that people place way to much importance on have to do with testing and not with the students themselves or how smart they are or how wonderful the education system is. And here is somthing else to put in your pocket for a rainy day, in 1999 (that was the last stat I had) 44% of kids graduating from high school could not read beyond a 4th grade level and that is a fact. So the educational problem is a national one, not a Kentucky one. And as far as awareness goes, believe me when I tell you that East Coast people with their neat little educational rankings have no clue as to what goes on outside of their own states. And that is because they are too busy lining their bulemic corporate pockets with the money of hard working folks in states like Kentucky to know what goes on outside of their own little worlds. Okay, rant over.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

And that is because they are too busy lining their bulemic corporate pockets with the money of hard working folks in states like Kentucky to know what goes on outside of their own little worlds.

Sounds a bit paranoid to me. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneEleven View Post
And that is because they are too busy lining their bulemic corporate pockets with the money of hard working folks in states like Kentucky to know what goes on outside of their own little worlds.

Sounds a bit paranoid to me. Otherwise, I agree with you.
I live in Maryland and see this every day.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM

I lived in Maryland for thirty years. Saw the state government raping and pillaging the citizens of Maryland, but don't think their reach goes as far as Kentucky. The corruption of greed is everywhere and has less to do with any intrinisic flaw in capitalistic enterprise than with impoverished human hearts.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneEleven View Post
I lived in Maryland for thirty years. Saw the state government raping and pillaging the citizens of Maryland, but don't think their reach goes as far as Kentucky. The corruption of greed is everywhere and has less to do with any intrinisic flaw in capitalistic enterprise than with impoverished human hearts.
Yep, and they are still raping and pillaging. It gets worse every year. Just think of all those corps at Tyson's Corner and you will see that it reaches KY.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:07 PM

One of those corporations at Tyson's Corner provides my son-in-law with an income to support my daughter and their three kids.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM

But he is the working man, not the CEO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky