Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

I did! Thanks for your facts. Maybe I'll see your name pop up again. I really do appreciate your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,937 times
Default Lexington

I moved out of KY a year ago after having lived there for 4.5 years.
I lived in Louisville, then in Lexington. I liked Lexington better. It is a very friendly town, with everything you need if you have kids. It's a big town, but not too big to be a headache for you.
I liked Lexington because it's quiet, yet there is a lot of people who live there and all shopping centers are conveniently located. The shopping malls are very clean. There is definitely more grass there than there is in Louisville. I certainly recommend checking out Lexington first. If it turns out to be too crowded for you, you definitely don't need Louisville then, and there will be dozens of smaller towns nearby to try. You can also check out Frankfurt, it is 3rd in size after Louisville and Lexington.
I am not sure about other areas in the state - I'd check them out, too before moving. I think Covington is a good size of a town, and I also liked places near Mammoth Cave. It seemed to me that the people near Mammoth Cave were even more friendly than what I got used to while visiting places around Lexington.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 14,359 times
Check out Oldham County, close to city of Louisville (20 minutes). If you check out the area bordering Shelby County you will find areas with acreage.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 AM

190 posts, read 812,240 times
Default Cringing...........

I'm sure there are many Southerners who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.[/quote]

Hi there! I'm Joanna, a southerner who was stereotyped in your post . I hope that you can get "out and about" to meet more persons like myself; college educated, strong Democrat, enjoys the arts, music, and history. There are many people in my area that share your values, who were KY born and raised.
I believe if we judged every state by the poorer sections, everyone would come up short. Yes, we have many mobile homes. However, many of these are owned by the person who lives in them, as well as owning the land. Is it the person's fault that home loans are so hard to come by and houses are so very expensive? I have to say, I would rather live in a mobile home that I own, setting on land that I own, than pay a ridiculous amount of rent for a box-sized apartment. It does not take long to realize that renting is just paying someone else's house payments for them.
I agree with you on the religion thing. I honestly feel we all have our own beliefs, have a right to them, and should not have another person's values forced on us. I appreciate your rights as an athiest as I hope you appreciate my rights as a Baptist. I honestly believe this is only a problem in certain areas. The closer you live to a college town, the more diverse the belief system.
Please do not judge us all by some bad apples. If I've learned one thing in all my years in KY, it is that for every one bad person you meet, there are three good ones! I know sometimes we are hard to understand, but KY'ers tend to be honest, helpful, hard workers, and would give you the shirt off their back if you are in need.
Your post mad me sad. We are stereotyped so much that it seems people look for negatives in our culture. However, please give everyone a second chance. You might be suprised!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM

22 posts, read 87,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Are these areas within an hour of major shopping? I know Huntington has some decent stuff, but when people say they want "country" but within an hour of major shopping, I always steer them towards the Louisville-Lexington corridor. NKY is great too, but is really more like Ohio.
My wife and I are close to retiring and interested in Pikeville, Barbourville, Middlesboro. How are medical facilities in those places? We're not in distress but not getting any younger either.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 189,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up in Chicago. Five years ago I moved to Louisville, Kentucky, because the natural scenery of Kentucky is gorgeous and varied. I like to go camping.
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year. I have since regretted my move. The problems I find are; no window to the outside world; too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball; too many people who have guns; too much religion and constant talk of morals; too much blind loyalty to conservatism, lack of interesting radio and TV stations; scoffing at "book learning"; little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc); dull food; lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage.
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar. To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers. It bothers me to see people who are getting shafted being so supportive of those who give them the shaft. Also, the people assume that I should have a fanatical loyalty to either the U of Louisville or U of Kentucky sports teams. When the two meet in football or basketball the whole state stops everything to watch. It's the main event of the year.
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often. Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion. I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
I don't vote Republican, don't own guns, I am an aethiest, don't believe Rush, don't drink Bud Light, don't desire to own a Harley, and all that indicates that the South is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky. In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville. One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock. Art exhibits detour Kentucky. How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me. The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
For lack of culture the Features section fo the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips. Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Most people are honest. To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates. I have also met Souhterners who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
I'm sure there are many Southerners who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.
wow.... *sketches butt with pistol* .. *fart* ... why did you move there????just to go camping??? actually we couldnt be more different I think.. everything you mention as a negative I see as a positive.. my wife and I have been looking to relocate in either TN or KY.. you make KY sound like paradise.. LOL..... Currently we live in MD... My family has been here since 1760 +- The family has been everything from framers and fisherman to lawyers and Doctors to Lt. Governors.. , But I cant want to get the hell out of here.. everyday my little neck of the woods gets closer and closer to the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NY urban nitemare you would embrace.. no point really... not condemning you .... just interesting to me how one mans trash can truly be anothers treasure.. when you leave KY, please leave the light on and save your seat for me.. take care and good luck..by the way.. my wife and I are both professionals who do ok..... I suspect what you would call "white trash with money"..
*big ass smile* yeee feaking haaaaaa !!!!!!! (sorry .. couldnt help it)

Old 09-10-2007, 10:26 AM

276 posts, read 792,853 times
Hey! I am very well educated and I desire to relocate to KY (preferably the mountains). I grew up around DC and lived 26 yrs in CA and FL. All I want is solitude. I hate to shop so I don't care about malls (been there, done that)! However, I am a political conservative, but I don't drink or smoke.
In essence, I'm a guy with eight years of college that is a conservative Christian who hates alcoholic beverages, smoking and "chew." I guess I have "one foot in and one foot out" when it comes to living in KY!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 AM

49 posts, read 189,741 times
Floridahater.. check out western KY..its not the mountains but The lake area is really very nice in its own way..particularly the Cadiz/Eddyville area.... we have visited the area a few times and it has everything we want... Nothing... LOL....just kiddin.. but if you are into a lake lifestyle and enjoy the outdoors, it just might be a fit for you...not to many people there yet either.. you wont find 5 star shopping or dining, but you wont find the social ills that exist in the cesspool they call the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NY corridor either.. we arent in a position to move yet but that area is at the top of our "A" list... you might need to get past the smoking thing tho.. we dont smoke either but seems like alot of folks chose to there.. not judging.. just observing...

Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM

276 posts, read 792,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Floridahater.. check out western KY..its not the mountains but The lake area is really very nice in its own way..particularly the Cadiz/Eddyville area.... we have visited the area a few times and it has everything we want... Nothing... LOL....just kiddin.. but if you are into a lake lifestyle and enjoy the outdoors, it just might be a fit for you...not to many people there yet either.. you wont find 5 star shopping or dining, but you wont find the social ills that exist in the cesspool they call the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NY corridor either.. we arent in a position to move yet but that area is at the top of our "A" list... you might need to get past the smoking thing tho.. we dont smoke either but seems like alot of folks chose to there.. not judging.. just observing...
Boog:

I grew up in Rockville, MD. Consistently, the schools of Montgomery Co were in the top 5 nationwide. The town was essentially crime free and it was a great place to grow up. Now, it is just a bedroom community of DC along with Gaitherburg, Damascus, et al. The crime rate has risen,and the schools are declining in excellence. Gangs have also appeared on the scene. The last time that I visited in 2004 for a high school reunion, I was extremely depressed. It made me sick to see what had happened to the area. I don't blame you for wanting to leave (my sister is waiting to retire and exit the region herself).

Florida is also a crud hole and I utterly loathe it since I also hate the climate. California WAS lovely with a great climate, but it has also gone the way of the DC-Baltimore-Philadelphia corridor. Virtually all of my friends have left Rockville and have fled to WVA, Maine and VT. Moreover, if just found out that one of my high school friends is now residing in Irvine, KY.

I wish you good luck in relocating. I am still attempting to relocate, but unfortunately I still must work for a living. I hope to be leaving within the next year. Needless to say, watching entire regions decline is disheartening to say the least especially when one remembers how nice it was in past years!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM

156 posts, read 631,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Are these areas within an hour of major shopping? I know Huntington has some decent stuff, but when people say they want "country" but within an hour of major shopping, I always steer them towards the Louisville-Lexington corridor. NKY is great too, but is really more like Ohio.
Saying NKY is basically like Ohio is the same as saying Louisville is basically like Indiana. Your Louisville bias is strong, my friend.

UK / Andre Woodson will dominate Lousiville this weekend... go 'cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky