Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:32 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

LOL, for heaven's sake, lets just all get along. There are several forumers who cut and paste. I am not a huge fan, especially of the maps without citations, but as long as they are being civil I do not have a problem with it. Also, many people who aren't regulars on the KY forum will only read one thread, so maybe that will help them. People here are merely trying to help people from what I have seen. Let's try to cut the personal attacks mmmmkay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM

88 posts, read 383,430 times
You might consider some areas just outside the Gene Snyder in Louisville from Exit 3 to I-65 and down to the Bullitt Co. line (an approximately rectangular shape.) Nice homes, close to Wal-Mart and Home Depot, and cheaper than the more prestigious east end neighborhoods. You can still find 8-20+ acre tracts of land and only pay suburban service area property taxes (remember, Louisville-Jefferson metro county here.) Plus, at that end of the county (SW,) you have Jefferson Memorial Forest right at your back door; at 6,500 acres, it's America's largest urban forest. You can go camping there at night--literally. But, if you want to leave the city, Otter Creek Park is situated in Meade Co. but maintained by Metro Louisville Parks; at 2,000 acres, you can get there from the Snyder/Dixie interchange in 20 minutes. Bernheim Forest is just to the south off I-65 in Clermont. Elizabethtown is emerging from a baby Louisville to a "toddler" Louisville; at only 45 minutes south, it makes for a great day trip without leaving the metro area. So, SW Jeff. is the hilliest and most forested part of Louisville, and you're still close to a hodge-podge of urban amenities there.

Other areas to consider:
-Bullitt County: you can find sizeable tracts of land with decent homes for under $350,000 here. Just stay away from Shepherdsville or any low lands along the Salt River. It is SLOWLY trying to progress and diversify economically. (Of course, Bullitt Co. is known statewide for its contingency of old-school klan nuts and, I believe, has served as the HQ of the state klan chapter. I hope that's no longer the case.)
-Hardin County: likewise, except it's a larger county. Just classified by the census bureau as its own metro area. E'Town is approaching 25000 people and has some of the same urban amenities and services as Louisville, except on a smaller scale. Nice land there, too. Stay away from Radcliff and Ft. Knox, though.
-Oldham and Shelby Counties: some of Kentucky's most beautiful land, closer to the famed Bluegrass region. These counties are pushing for more "upper-class, higher-end" residents to move there, and you pay the price for it. Property and property taxes are more expensive there.

It all really depends on what you want. My picks: SW Jefferson and Hardin Counties.

Last edited by lovintexas; 06-01-2007 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM

88 posts, read 383,430 times
I know my above post sounds like a semi-repeat, and it kind of is. I'm just stating reasons to consider these places more.

Oh, one more thing: Henry and Trimble Counties have an abundance of cheaper land. True country living right there. They're to the northeast of Lou., and while they wouldn't be my first pick for places to live, the crime rate is low and they're closer to Cincinnati, if you choose to make any excursions there.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 PM

218 posts, read 637,266 times
Dear Lovintexas;
I am not a big fan of Louisville, but I would not tell anyone not to move there. Expressing positive points about Kentucky is what we should be doing on this forum. I find Louisville to be sprawling, dirty and ugly, but it is desirable to some who think that is what big cities should be. Cincinnati and Atlanta are just as similar. My personal favorite is ,of course, Lexington. Home of the Bluegrass, the Wildcats, the horse farms, the history of the very beginnings of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Versailles, Danville, Paris, Winchester, Georgetown, Richmond, all as close as a drive across town in Louisville, but hey everything in Kentucky has it's good points

Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
I am currently selling my 3br 2 ba 1300sqft home in McConnels Trace which is on the outskirts of Lexington. It is a neighborhood across from Masterson Station Park which is probably a couple of hundred acres. The house is great and sits across from a horse farm. My husband and I are selling it by owner right now if you are interested i can give you some more information
sabrina.stephens@uky.edu

The high school in my district is Dunbar and it is an excellent school and even has a magnet program that excels in math and science.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slfran2 View Post
I am currently selling my 3br 2 ba 1300sqft home in McConnels Trace which is on the outskirts of Lexington. It is a neighborhood across from Masterson Station Park which is probably a couple of hundred acres. The house is great and sits across from a horse farm. My husband and I are selling it by owner right now if you are interested i can give you some more information
sabrina.stephens@uky.edu

The high school in my district is Dunbar and it is an excellent school and even has a magnet program that excels in math and science.
There is a classified ad forum that this should be posted in, I've seen this same ad posted at least 3 times in as many minutes.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 43,965 times
Default Wanted A House To Rent In The Country By Kentucky Lake

We Are Looking For A House To Rent In The Country Near Kentucky Lake, We Have No Kids Just 2 Cats. My Father Was Born In A House Which Is Under Water In Kentucky Lake. I Have Spent A Lot Of My Life Fishing The Lake And Would Like To Move There, Smith Bay Was Named After My Uncle. We Need A 2bd With A Garage Or Barn(in The Country) I Have Lukemia And Would Like To Return To Where My Family Is From.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
I can see that the folks providing information here know nothing about the Shepherdsville of 2007. Shepherdsville is home to a largely professional community and many new developments have sprung up in the area in the past 5 years. One of the largest development companies from Louisville has targetted Shepherdsville and nearby areas for commercial development. Also, many new businesses associated with the Louisville UPS hub have also located in Shepherdsville in the past 5 years.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 30,079 times
finally sold in Fl. and heading to Ky!!!. need to stay around Lex. as have a granddaughter there, and more family there soon. I'm retired so don't need a job, and will look at Winchester, Paris, Richmond, Harrodsburg, area.

Hopefully that beautiful state won't grow too quickly, have had enough of that here in Fl. By the way, the new watchword is "friends don't let friends move to Florida"

Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Question School Correction - Boone County in NKY is best.

Hmmm, I agree that Lexington area or towards Louisville might be best for the horse disciplines, "BUT" the comment made previously regarding schools being best in the state near Louisville is incorrect from any scoring system we have found. Best school comparison chart is through GreatSchools.net, this will let you compare all public schools throughout the country, state, county, district, or city. We have found only one county in all of KY that has a average score of 9 or better [from a 1-10 system] for ALLof it's schools. That is not to say that there is not great schools throughout all of KY, the problem is most of them are surrounded by lower scoring schools, making a newcomber be forced to look in only one specific community to get into that one school, then they still have to worry about when their child moves up to a middle or high school. The winner is Boone County when it comes to schools! Compare and see. We were originally focusing also on Lexington, but because it was a hit and miss when it came to schools in the area [Hate being dicated where exactly to live due to school competency, but a family must do what is right for their children] we have moved our search and focused in the Union/Florence area.

I know someone will come back on this forum and say, scores don't mean everything, and that is partially true [one must take in the factor of arts/music/sports], but when a parent see's low scores for a school, when they can choose otherwise, what would you do? Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky