Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times

Advertisements

I was just checking out some information on line about my Great X3 Grandfather of mine and found the he was a Pvt in the Union 14th Regiment A Company. And I was wondering if there was anyone else had a relative in that same unit. And it seems that them boys where pretty tuff and bounced all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 AM

23 posts, read 73,707 times
I had family in both armies on my moms side. Shes still got a picture with them both posing in it and both missing arms after the war. I never really looked in to it though. Sounds like something to do sometime. I used to have a paid account on one of those heritage sites. What sources did you use?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Turkey Leg meat View Post
I had family in both armies on my moms side. Shes still got a picture with them both posing in it and both missing arms after the war. I never really looked in to it though. Sounds like something to do sometime. I used to have a paid account on one of those heritage sites. What sources did you use?
It was under (US14thKy@Hotmail.com) The lady doing this is also looking for Pictures, Letters, Dis-charge papers and anything else anyone may have on the 14Th Union Inf. She done a great job so far on putting together may of their movements and skirmishes that they had gotten into from Ohio, Indiana, Georgia and Tennessee against the Confederacy.
I accidentally came across her when I was looking up my Great X3 Grandfather that served with 14Th US Inf.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I was just checking out some information on line about my Great X3 Grandfather of mine and found the he was a Pvt in the Union 14th Regiment A Company. And I was wondering if there was anyone else had a relative in that same unit. And it seems that them boys where pretty tuff and bounced all over the place.
My great grandfather, and most of his sons, served in the 14th, Co. I Cavalry. What county was your family from? You can get all kinds of Military records from Washington DC National Archives. I have most of them for my family and some relatives by marriage.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My great grandfather, and most of his sons, served in the 14Th, Co. I Cavalry. What county was your family from? You can get all kinds of Military records from Washington DC National Archives. I have most of them for my family and some relatives by marriage.
I would love to have that info to the DC Archives, if you could. Wow Cavalry, most at that time had to have their own horses to get into the Cavalry, that's great.

And my ancestors are from the Highlands of Scotland as part of the old McGregor Clan, then they migrated down to Edinburgh, Scotland. And then to the east coast of America, then off to Kentucky they were found around 1750, or earlier. We also have a hint of Irish and English from my Mothers side.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I would love to have that info to the DC Archives, if you could. Wow Cavalry, most at that time had to have their own horses to get into the Cavalry, that's great.

And my ancestors are from the Highlands of Scotland as part of the old McGregor Clan, then they migrated down to Edinburgh, Scotland. And then to the east coast of America, then off to Kentucky they were found around 1750, or earlier. We also have a hint of Irish and English from my Mothers side.
Yes, they did have to supply their own horses. The family was involved in a feud following the Civil War and my great grandfather, and some of his sons, went to KS but went back and forth to KY till after 1880. He, eventually, ended up in AR where my great grandmother had family, and died there in 1882.

Google National Archives Washington DC and you'll get lots of info. about how to get info from them. I used to have to write to them to get the forms to request info but I think you MIGHT be able to get some online now. The one site I checked, from Google, had tons of info. for research. I believe it was the first one on the page. Someday I'd love to go there and research in person.

Some of my family came here from England in the late 1500s, some in the mid 1600s and the last few in the mid 1700s. Before I started researching, 26 years ago, I had NO idea how many ancestors I had that had been here that long or fought in all the wars. My family went from VA to NC to TN and my grandad's branch ended up in KY around 1799. My 2X great grandad, pretty much, started the first feud in KY and Clay Co. was formed to have a court to try all the "miscreants". It was forever after known as the Cattle Wars.

Once you get into research it gets in your blood and it's THE most fascinating thing I have ever done in my life. I'd LOVE to be able to actually talk to my ancestors. What stories they could tell. As it is I do know a LOT.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

There is a genealogy forum here in City Data. You should check that out too!

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 04-03-2010 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Too add info!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Yes, they did have to supply their own horses.
Confederate cavalry had to supply their own horses but The United States Army supplied the horses of Union cavalry.

The inefficient Confederate system meant that at any given time quite a number of Confederate horse soldiers were off looking for a horse (often going all the way home to do so) instead of being available in the ranks.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Confederate cavalry had to supply their own horses but The United States Army supplied the horses of Union cavalry.

The inefficient Confederate system meant that at any given time quite a number of Confederate horse soldiers were off looking for a horse (often going all the way home to do so) instead of being available in the ranks.
That's interesting. I have letters written by my great grandfather that told about them taking their own horses to carry ammunition and supplies to soldiers in TN through the Gap. Maybe they just liked their own horses.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. I have letters written by my great grandfather that told about them taking their own horses to carry ammunition and supplies to soldiers in TN through the Gap. Maybe they just liked their own horses.
Things were tuff on both sides.
You know it was bad when most of the time the more prominent wealthier families would and could buy their son's commissions as officers. And this happened on both sides, so it would stand to reason that a soldier with a horse would be made a cavalry soldier. And look at Andrew Jackson, he was a judge and made himself the commanding officer of his local militia and he had never lead men before in a military manor. Then later on he was actually formally asked to command and army by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: