Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times

Advertisements

As far as electric utility rates, you still would have paid more in Johnson City, Bristol, VA, or Kingsport. BTES is around the lowest I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 AM

27 posts, read 191,592 times
Lived in Gray.... COMCAST works flawlessly in Gray. gray is actually one of the best towns to live in in the area. u are close to I81 n close to JC via I26. PERFECT LOCATION! and with AT&T (im an iPhone lover), you get 5 bars of 3G in gray so you are good either way.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM

19 posts, read 36,316 times
What about johnson city is charter or centurylink better?
working from home I need a steady and fast internet connection voip, video etc. what do you think is the best option. At my new adress I can only have charter or century.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that Charter is faster than Century. Most folks claim that Charter has horrible customer service, I've never experienced this. I've used Charter in JC for almost 4 years; I haven't had to call them since I got set up, and I can only recall one outage where we woke up one Saturday morning w/o internet; it was back on by 11am. Of course I'm not counting the times we were temporarily w/o electricity, can blame Charter for that.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
CenturyLink was the worst, WORST company I've ever dealt with when I lived in JC. They randomly allowed third party entities to add stuff to my bill (something I still don't understand), and when I called, I got run around for days. After the second month of this, I called to cancel, they said they would take care of it, but actually sent my bills to a debt collector.

Absolutely do not utilize CenturyLink. You will regret it, eventually.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 PM

110 posts, read 229,592 times
I'm not a CenturyLink apologist, and it sounds like jabogitlu has some justified anger towards them. But I've had CenturyLink (actually Embarq before the name change) DSL for right at 4 years now. I have the 10 meg service and it is generally very solid. In talking with a tech a couple of weeks ago, they will soon offer bonded DSL with max speeds double of what they offer now. The few times I've had equipment die on me, they've replaced it promptly and at no charge.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 36,316 times
Thanks for the info! speed is definitely a factor and having to watch over my bill to be sure that no third party is invited in my wallet sounds draining! Thanks again to all for sharing. It makes a move so much easier that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol