Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 PM

383 posts, read 919,172 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend the store across from Ingle's - they have a great wine and liquor selection plus the best selection of HAC beers in this area by far. And, the store next door stocks about 400 different beers.

Can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I can't place the Ingles you're talking about. The only one I can picture is the one in Jonesborough.

Hm, weird, I notice a pattern of wine/liquor/beer being sold across the way from our groceries. I guess it's the next best thing to having them in the stores themselves.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

227 posts, read 720,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
I'd recommend the store across from Ingle's - they have a great wine and liquor selection plus the best selection of HAC beers in this area by far. And, the store next door stocks about 400 different beers.

Can't go wrong.
That is by far my favorite package store. They are so helpful and friendly. They've specially ordered for me and also when looking to make chocolate martinis they went online and printed off a recipe for me.

They are located across from Ingles in Boones Creek on Hwy 36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
I recently moved here & have run into the same problem. This area is very limited in variety of food products. Those of us who have lived in large metros & are used to having accessibility to EVERY kind of meat, produce, canned/dried goods, are going to have to improvise. I can't get my fresh cajun andouille sausage or an authentic Italian sausage; can't find a real italian sub (though Bellacino's on S Roan is pretty darn tasty); haven't been able to find free-range chicken in the area, but just discovered there's a new natural foods market opening here in June . . . Hallelujah!
Scratch Bakery in Johnson City makes andouille. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon. Call first to be sure they have it but it's worth the trip to sample their breads.

Last edited by mbmouse; 03-04-2008 at 06:23 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM

69 posts, read 254,165 times
Default Andouille Sausage

Thanks dcommander. I'll let you know what it tastes like as I plan to visit check it out within a couple of days.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I found Hamilton Meats today. It is on Old Gray Station Rd, between Boones Creek Rd and 36. Unfortunately, I got there at 5:03.....they closed at 5:00.
I will go back before 5:00 some time this week and let y'all know my opinion then.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
There is a great butcher shop near Zak's Furniture in Boones Creek (in between Johnson City and Kingsport) that I used to buy from. I am sorry but I don't remember their name. Their bacon wrapped filet's were so good!!

I hope this helps.

SMG
This is Hamilton Meats. When you get by there Mb, be sure to try their bacon wrapped filets! Mmmm

Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
This is Hamilton Meats. When you get by there Mb, be sure to try their bacon wrapped filets! Mmmm
Ok, so I got to Hamilton Meats today. There are only a few meat cases and not much on display and small. I thought to myself "darn it and here I thought I found a good butcher shop" then I started looking at the little signs written around and at the few meats in the cases. The other customer in the shop and I kinda met in the middle to look at the same pork roast. I said "that looks so good" she said "everything here is good, here is their list of boxes". and handed me this list. HOLY COW! How awesome! There are all these different "boxes" you can order, like 5 lbs ground chuck (which looks more like lean, lean, lean all red, chopped sirloin) 3 lbs cube stake, 3 lbs bones skinless chicken breast, 3 lbs home made sausage, 3 lbs center cut pork chops and a 3 lbs chuck roast, all for $65 and they cut it all fresh, package it and box it right there. They prefer you call ahead but how cool! They have "boxes" from $42 up to $189. I got the $74 one and it will feed my family for about a week and a half.(I have two teenage boys!) I got the one with the bacon wrapped filet's and grilled them tonight for dinner cause SMG said they were so good.........YYYUUUUUMMMM!!!! Oh it has been so long since I have had fresh beef!
I started talking to the owner and come to find out you can get just about any kind of meat and cut that you want, they are happy to do special orders too. You can even get a whole or half a side of beef all cut up and lots of other stuff too.
Yep, they have a new happy customer.
Thanks for pointing it out to me SMG!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Glad you found it and liked it MB!!! My dad started trading with them back when I was a kid. I remember them giving my brother and me a tour of their plant (I am sure that it wasn't that big of a tour, but we thought it was) and we felt so important. We always called ahead and placed our orders. As an adult I loved the special orders since time is a commodity. They aren't open late which is my only complaint; but that helps keep prices down. That really will be perfect with your living in Gray!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post

Can't go wrong.
Can't believe I missed this place, can you give me a name? I love a good place with a good beer selection. What is HAC? The only local breweries I know of are Depot Street (Jonesborough) and Highland (Asheville), without mentioning the multiple ones in Knoxville.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 AM

383 posts, read 919,172 times
Can't remember the name. Just go up North Roan until you see the Ingle's supermarket on your right.

Look to your left and you will see a Texaco Jiffy Lube type of place. Right next door is the beer store and next to it is the liquor store.

For hundreds of micro brews you want the beer store. For HAC (high alcohol content) beers you have to go to the liquor store next door but Joey has the best selection in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol