Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM

31 posts, read 60,488 times

Advertisements

I am interested in learning about potential retirement conditions in the Gray, Spurgeon and Oak Grove areas. It seems like an easy commute to the Tri Cities, particularly Johnson City and Boone lake marinas. What can you tell me about the atmosphere in these towns? I like to live outside of the city limits. Enjoy meeting locals at the marina, in taverns and at community events, etc. Interested in the availability of houses with an acre or so of property, low tax rates, etc. Is the sales tax lower in VA, do locals travel to VA to shop? Really looking forward to reading your replies concerning these three towns. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,281 times
They aren't so much towns as they are places where people live. What I mean is that none of these places really have a defined boarder, their own downtown, etc. Most of your retail shopping/dining will occur in JC and Kpt. All of these places are 5 to 10 minutes to Johnson City. All should have acre lots available, maybe not with lake frontage. Generally, sales tax is lower in VA, but not for restaurants. Locals that live very close to the state line do take advantage of that on their groceries. All the good retail stores are in TN, unless you drive to Exit 7 in Bristol, VA.

Gray is centered around Daniel Boone High School and the Fair Grounds. There is a lot of farm land, a lot of houses being built, a Food City, and a few places to eat. It is considered a very good place to live. You'll want to take note of the railroad, which is very active. You might not want that in your back yard. There's a Poor Richard's (deli/pub) in Gray; their ETSU location has beer on tap, I am assuming this one does too.

Spurgeon --- No one says "I live in Spurgeon." I've only ever seen it called this on Google maps. It's really just an extension of Gray where HWY 36 intersects with HWY 75 --- small houses, condos, a gas station, ohh yeah, and a strip club.

Oak Grove is more North Boones Creek. This is a good place to buy lake property, if you can find it available. It is a mostly nice area, but there are a few roads that seem just a bit "junkie". There is another smaller Food City, several restaurants including four pizza joints, a Middle School, and an Elementary School with ball fields and a nice active walking track. There is a Beef O'Brady's in Boones Creek which is a family atmosphere sports pub.

Last edited by rccrain; 08-18-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM

31 posts, read 60,488 times
rccrain, thank you for your reply. I believe this general area will meet our retirement needs. I will retire in two years. My wife is a RN at a VA hospital here in IL. She may choose to seek a nursing position at the VA facility in Johnson City. At the University of Illinois, we implemented an enterprise system to support our campus' business needs, and I see ETSU is also a "Banner" campus. I know this system inside and out and may seek part-time employment at ETSU if it doesn't conflict with my boating and fishing plans, if you know what I mean. I laughed at the strip joint comment, don't think I will be checking that place out. We do want to be somewhat close to both Johnson City and Boone Lake... Again, thank you for your informative comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol