Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 AM

185 posts, read 289,934 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Western KY, so just north of Nashville, so I've been a Titans fan for a while (which can be hard at times, but I'm not a fair weather kinda fan). My husband grew up near Indy, so he's a Colts fan, but also cheers for the Broncos because of Peyton now. He decided that living in TN means he should also cheer for the Titans now. I tried explaining to him that here in East TN, the Titans are very well shadowed by college (SEC) football, especially UT. I think he's starting to understand.

We will still cheer for the Titans, but I agree with everyone else. Until the Titans get and stay at the top for a bit, the fan following outside of Nashville and nearby is going to be minimal. People here spend money on SEC sports. I have to say that I'm partial to college sports myself, but I buck the trend here in East TN, as I'll always be a fan of the UK Wildcats and now ETSU.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 AM

156 posts, read 119,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
I grew up in Western KY, so just north of Nashville, so I've been a Titans fan for a while (which can be hard at times, but I'm not a fair weather kinda fan). My husband grew up near Indy, so he's a Colts fan, but also cheers for the Broncos because of Peyton now. He decided that living in TN means he should also cheer for the Titans now. I tried explaining to him that here in East TN, the Titans are very well shadowed by college (SEC) football, especially UT. I think he's starting to understand.

We will still cheer for the Titans, but I agree with everyone else. Until the Titans get and stay at the top for a bit, the fan following outside of Nashville and nearby is going to be minimal. People here spend money on SEC sports. I have to say that I'm partial to college sports myself, but I buck the trend here in East TN, as I'll always be a fan of the UK Wildcats and now ETSU.
Lol...Easy Teezie! My mom told me that they've finally got a football team again. I hope they manage to do well.

I'm sort of the same way with college football. I grew up in Bristol, VA so I gravitated towards VA Tech. However being in the Tri Cities I've always felt partial to Tennessee teams so i would tend to pull for the Vol's against anyone but the Hokies. So natrually, as a kid I didn't follow NFL sports quite so much because the closest team would have been either the Redskins (7 1/2 hours) or Atlanta (around 6 hours) which felt so far removed....but for some reason once the Titans came in they just felt more local. Granted Nashville is still 4 1/2 hours or so away....it still felt quite a bit more local because they are in TN. Plus, once the Titans came they were really sharp. Air McNair and Eddie George were incredible, plus we got all of their games on WJHL which made following them really easy.

But I concur....SEC football is king in TN. Likewise, VA Tech football is king in VA.

I'm excited for the Battle at Bristol game between Tech and UT. THAT will be incredible.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM

22 posts, read 31,116 times
I have found it interesting that with all the people wearing shirts for their favorite teams I do not recall one NFL (except mine). They are all for the college football exclusively. Everywhere I have ever been before coming to the tricities, NFL is HUGE despite the same devotion displayed for the college teams. No point to my post, just finding it very unique here.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM

185 posts, read 289,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Lynne View Post
I have found it interesting that with all the people wearing shirts for their favorite teams I do not recall one NFL (except mine). They are all for the college football exclusively. Everywhere I have ever been before coming to the tricities, NFL is HUGE despite the same devotion displayed for the college teams. No point to my post, just finding it very unique here.
Just out of curiosity, have you lived in places with big devotion to SEC schools?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM

156 posts, read 119,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you lived in places with big devotion to SEC schools?
The biggest things south of the Mason-Dixon.

Jesus, Sweet Tea, and the SEC

Granted in Bristol, VA we technically aren't SEC country but the Hokies pull a similar devotion as the Vols.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 31,116 times
In Missouri and in Florida so yes. In Florida rivalries of FSU and UF pretty heated and great fun.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,580,010 times
Titans didn't disappoint us again!!!
Nothing more than was expected of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol