Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,468 times

Advertisements

Originally I was planning on opening a young women's boutique and a children's boutique, but now I'm really debating this due to all the expansion going on in Bristol. I'll post pictures of the type of ladies clothing we offer, and with the children's clothes, think of Mud Pie or Matilda Jane style.

What do you all, the public, think? Is it something that this area is looking for? Already has? Or wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm thinking of opening a clothing store in either Bristol VA or Bristol TN-un.jpg   I'm thinking of opening a clothing store in either Bristol VA or Bristol TN-lt-03.jpg   I'm thinking of opening a clothing store in either Bristol VA or Bristol TN-lt-01.jpg   I'm thinking of opening a clothing store in either Bristol VA or Bristol TN-13.jpg   I'm thinking of opening a clothing store in either Bristol VA or Bristol TN-td-01-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shante101092 View Post
I'll post pictures of the type of ladies clothing we offer...!!
How big is "we" already? How many stores? What kind of volume? What sort of locations?

I am the antithesis of "retail", but am a seasoned businessman. Take that into consideration in my comments.

Shi, shi; foo-foo, or whatever you call it is going to be a hard sell in this area. There is a certain limited market. You will have to get the numbers (demographics) and see if it is big enough to support your sort of store.

Broadly speaking, you need to be in one of the new malls....the Falls or the Pinnacle--pick the one where Belk is locating so you get the benefit of their traffic draw, and you will have probably a ten year life cycle. That is the only way you are going to get enough traffic past your door to make a go of it.

But...the cost to locate there is higher than an empty storefront in one of the local "cities". Hence my questions about what sort of volume you are doing now, which translates into buying power, which means even with higher rents, you MIGHT be able to maintain your margins if you are buying in sufficient quantities.

Do your homework. Run the numbers. Are you well capitalized? See if it might work, on paper at least. If you think it will, give it a year to see if it flies with the local audience.

Old expression: Leap and the wings will appear. You don't know if you don't try. But be warned, it will not be easy. This is a small (tiny?) tough market with fickle tastes.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Downtown might work as well. Coco Lily / The Wooden Hanger is in downtown Kingsport. I'm not sure if anything similar exists in Bristol or Johnson City. I suppose there is a market. You may want to consult the local chambers of commerce.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM

311 posts, read 398,417 times
This might work in downtown Kingsport with the recent turn around of the downtown area.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:26 PM

19 posts, read 40,209 times
It looks junior and the things you can get from china for about 10.00 and if that is what it the sizing will be totally off - most people would rather go to forever 21 - cause most of the young people shop in johnson city.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 AM

I don't think that's the market the OP would be going after. IMO she would need to target young, affluent women and mothers.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
I don't think that's the market the OP would be going after. IMO she would need to target young, affluent women and mothers.
Not really the market of the Tri-Cities. Johnson City would be the best hope for what market there is.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 AM

You might be surprised how many there are - doctors, professionals, business owners, etc. Between the affluent and those pretending to be so, the success of such a business should be at least reasonably attainable in Bristol or Johnson City. JMO

My only worry about Kingsport would be the already established competition.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
To me seems like your market is either downtown Johnson City or Abingdon. Not sure why you've chosen Bristol, but it does seem to be a very random pick, based on your market.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
... because Bristol is between Abingdon and Johnson City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol