Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at possibly relocating to Johnson county, maybe Mountain City. I'm from Wisconsin. No surprise there. The reason I'm looking into easter Tennessee is because I'm a huge outoors person. I love to hike, mountain biking, Photography and of course FISHING! and just sitting under the stars looking up ay some hills on a clear night. I'm only 19 and just have a high school diploma. I have experience with delivery of products and plowing snow. I've seen the photos of Mountain City and can only use one word to describe them. "Breathtaking". unfortunetly I have no relatives or friends in Tennessee so that would be something new to me. I'm a very outgoing person and I love to relax and just take a swim in the lake. Can any other member relate to this? Any advice for me? I wish it was easy to just drive there and get a job and apartment.

Signed, the young and confused Wisconsin guy, aka Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Josh,
My husband and I spend our summers in Mountain City and we love it. It is a small town with the mountains surrounding the whole town. It is a very quiet and nice area. We spend our winters in Florida where it is very crowded so it is always great to go back "home".
Mountain City doesn't have many jobs and rentals are hard to come by. I would try checking out Elizabethton. It is about 25 miles from MC but I think it would have better opportunities for you. It is a larger town, lots of stores(jobs), and access is good. It is in a lower elevation than MC but you can go a short ride for biking, hiking, and fishing. Lake Watauga is a beautiful lake between Mountain City and Elizabethton.

Good luck in your search.
Lisa

Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks Lisa,
I want to find something that is "in" the mountains and has under 5,000 people. I also want to stay as close to the mountains as possible. I'll take a look at Elizabethton.

Thanks, Josh

Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Josh,
Try asking your questions on the Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol section of the TN forums. Elizabethton isn't very mountainous. You might check Shady Valley, Laurel Bloomery, Erwin, Unicoi, Trade, and of course Mountain City. These areas are in the mountains with lower populations. In VA you could look at Damascus(just north of MC) and Abingdon(slightly lower elevation). In NC you can try Zionville and Creston but those 2 places don't have their own town.

Good Luck,
Lisa

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I'll move this over to the Tri-City forums for you Josh.
I think you best bet is to make a trip down here and look over the entire region. You might find just what you are looking for then look for housing and jobs in that area you love once you find it.
Good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM

10,071 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm looking at possibly relocating to Johnson county, maybe Mountain City. I'm from Wisconsin. No surprise there. The reason I'm looking into easter Tennessee is because I'm a huge outoors person. I love to hike, mountain biking, Photography and of course FISHING! and just sitting under the stars looking up ay some hills on a clear night. I'm only 19 and just have a high school diploma. I have experience with delivery of products and plowing snow. I've seen the photos of Mountain City and can only use one word to describe them. "Breathtaking". unfortunetly I have no relatives or friends in Tennessee so that would be something new to me. I'm a very outgoing person and I love to relax and just take a swim in the lake. Can any other member relate to this? Any advice for me? I wish it was easy to just drive there and get a job and apartment.

Signed, the young and confused Wisconsin guy, aka Josh
You might want to check out Rogersville--close to mountains, Cherokee Lake, and the Clinch river. Very historic town with a beautiful downtown. Nature is super close too, just a few minutes away. Better opportunities for employment in the Rogersville area, I'd think.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Thank you folks, I plan on getting down to the Tri-Cities this spring(April-May) to check things out.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 AM

17 posts, read 60,422 times
Just a thought Josh.......You might try Gatlinburg or Pigon Forge area. I know it is not what you are exactly looking for "People" wise because it is "very" crowded. However, they do have many jobs for hotel, restruant, maintance,cabin rental help etc. to help you get experience, etc. and if you get off the tourist path, rent can be reasonable if you get off the main routes. As a plus, you have the whole national park to hike and fish. Not saying to make your home there, just a hint of getting experience and closer to the mountains. Maybe save up of that perfect spot in MC. Can't blame you. I perfer MC over the Smokies myself.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Josh,
You might check Shady Valley, Laurel Bloomery, Erwin, Unicoi, Trade, and of course Mountain City. These areas are in the mountains with lower populations. In VA you could look at Damascus(just north of MC) and Abingdon(slightly lower elevation). In NC you can try Zionville and Creston but those 2 places don't have their own town.

Good Luck,
Lisa
I do a lot of motorcycle riding around some of those "towns" - a word I use loosely in some respects.

Shady Valley, Laurel Bloomery, and Trade - those are all very pretty areas, but I wouldn't call them "towns". More like a wide spot in the road. Damascus is awesome; it's in a very scenic area and caters to the bicyclists who come to use the Virginia Creeper Trail; but there wouldn't be much in the way of jobs and doubtfully much in the way of housing for a young person starting out. It has become an attractive area for retirees so the prices of property have skyrocketed. It is close to Abingdon, though, where there might be some job opportunities.

As others have suggested, I would try the larger towns for job opportunities and reasonable housing. You'd still be just a skip away from some of the prettiest areas on this side of the country. And definitely make a trip here with time to do some wide exploring. It's not just SW Virginia and northeastern TN that have an awesome outdoors. The entire western side of Virginia is an outdoor person's paradise.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks again folks. It's funny where I'm located in Wisconsin its a huge tourist destination. The Wisconsin Dells. Its about 20 minutes from home. When I was told about Pigeon Forge I thought of The Dells. Any ways I've got my brother and best friend coming along for the ride this spring/summer. I hope that it's as beautiful in person. As I said before if I could find a town with views of the mountains and a decent job market I think it could be a canidate.

Thanks again & God Bless, Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol