Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2006, 05:16 PM

95 posts, read 569,198 times

Advertisements

originally we were looking to move to Farragut or Oak Ridge TN...but my husband just got a great potential job offer in Tri-cities area...
I have looked at the city-data stuff & threads & my questions are...
#1: the crime index is high...is that a good representation?
#2: we are used to living in suburbia next to big cities, so we are used to having the amenities that comes with a big city...what do you think that transition would be like in this area?
#3: what kind of outdoor activities do people do here? we love hiking, camping, would love to have a cabin or something in Appalachian MTNs, is this common?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#4: what airports do people usually fly from? we do love to travel by plane probably 5-7 trips a year. Does this seem feasible here? I guess I will wait & see what airports people fly from. I checked that Charlotte is around 140 miles? not sure if it is an easy drive or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM

34 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_move View Post
#4: what airports do people usually fly from? we do love to travel by plane probably 5-7 trips a year. Does this seem feasible here? I guess I will wait & see what airports people fly from. I checked that Charlotte is around 140 miles? not sure if it is an easy drive or not...
I'll only answer to Q4. Tri-cities Regional Airport (TRI) is located roughly within 20 min driving distance from any of Tri-cities (Bristol, Johnson City and Kingsport). Naturally, it will be your 1st choice. Current direct flight destinations are Charlotte, Detroit, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Orlando, Memphis: No DC, No Philly, No NYC, No Chicago, though. Most likely you will end up taking connection flight either in Charlotte (for US Airways) or Cincinnati, Atlanta (Delta) or Detroit, Memphis (NWA). Also, there is no Southwest. No such thing exists here. Some people often drive 100 miles south to Tyson McGee Airport in Knoxville (TYS) for cheaper, direct, more frequent flights. BTW, I can safely say that driving to Charlotte to take a direct flight is not an option for >99% of people here.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
[quote=where_to_move;194328]originally we were looking to move to Farragut or Oak Ridge TN...but my husband just got a great potential job offer in Tri-cities area...
I have looked at the city-data stuff & threads & my questions are...
#1: the crime index is high...is that a good representation? I don't think so. I have lived just North of Johnson City for 2 years now and we feel very safe. My husband is native and he has never had a crime issue directly related to him. I think maybe they include traffic issues?? Not sure. Most of the crime is domestic related from what I hear on the local news. We have had some convenience store break in recently though.
#2: we are used to living in suburbia next to big cities, so we are used to having the amenities that comes with a big city...what do you think that transition would be like in this area? There are many areas like this in the Tri-Cites. Country atmosphere but within 10-15 minutes travel to City life/shopping restaurants etc.
#3: what kind of outdoor activities do people do here? we love hiking, camping, would love to have a cabin or something in Appalachian MTNs, is this common? From Johnson City you can be in the mountains in about a half hour. There is the Pisqua National Forest, Roan Mountain and others that have hiking trails, creeks for fishing , rafting and white water rafting. You can drive to the Smokie Mountain National Park entrance in Gatlinburg in about 1 1/2 hours.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#4: what airports do people usually fly from? we do love to travel by plane probably 5-7 trips a year. Does this seem feasible here? I guess I will wait & see what airports people fly from. I checked that Charlotte is around 140 miles? not sure if it is an easy drive or not... ] I Agree with the other poster, Tri-Cities or Knoxville. I prefer to drive to Knoxville as it is much cheaper.
Hope that helps! [/quote

Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 PM

95 posts, read 569,198 times
thank you very much for your input!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Default Regarding the crime issue-

It really is NOT an issue- the downtown area of JC is being re-built- but North State of Franklin is all new- it has a lot to offer, and seems completely safe. In the old part of downtown may be where those statistics are coming from- but that's true in ANY city.

The Tri City airport is 30 minutes from my house- sometimes if you travel alot you may have to switch in Atlanta- but its very convenient.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol