Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM

409 posts, read 871,367 times

Advertisements

I trying to do some planning ahead for weekend getaways for the next year or so. The Greeneville area is one place that I am thinking of visiting, I've heard good things about the General Morgan Inn.

What all is there to see and do in Greeneville for a weened getaway? Suggestions greatly welcomed.

Last edited by xxmagex; 10-14-2008 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
You could check the schedule for the new theater there and catch a show maybe?
::NPAC:: Home::
Or the Capital Theater? Around Greeneville | The Capitol Theatre of Greeneville

Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Uh, hm. Well, there's the National Park/historic site in downtown, with Andrew Johnson's tailor shop, homestead, etc. There are a lot of historical sites around downtown and there's a whole walking tour set up. I'm sure you could find more info about all that at the National Historic Site's welcome center.

One note to mouse's post, the Capitol Theater had to shut down due to lack of finances. NPAC is still going strong.

Welcome to the Nathanael Greene Museum
TN State Parks: Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park
http://www.nps.gov/anjo (A Johnson Historic Site; for some reason this link isn't working at the moment)
Historic Sites/Attractions
Walnut Ridge Llamas

If you're into nature at all I highly recommend utilizing various parks in Cherokee National Forest around Greene County as they are the "real deal." I would recommend Horse Creek Park or Paint Creek Park. If you're really interested lmk and I can tell you how to get there, as they are a bit out of the way for the average tourist.

Be warned that you'll be more satisfied staying in Greeneville if you're looking for a very quiet getaway without a lot of tourist attraction. If you're more of the "beach/Gatlinburg" crowd then you might do better looking toward Jonesborough/Johnson City. Jonesborough has much of the same feel/look as Greeneville but has been exponentially more restored and developed as a tourist stop for people coming through the Tri-Cities. While Greeneville is almost pure native, many people in downtown Jonesborough are from all over the state and even a few from outside it.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I did not know the Capital theater closed!!! When did that happen? So sad
Oh and I drove by the Andrew Johnson home site a few weeks back, it is closed for renovation due to the fire. First time I had seen it since the fire, a lot more destroyed than I gathered from the news paper article, basically only the front wall is standing at this point.
I can't believe I forgot about Paint creek too, that is a great spot!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Sad to hear about the Capital theater, it sounds like a place I would have enjoyed visting.

Greeneville would be for a "quiet weekend getaway" I would be looking for historical attractions, maybe some hiking and "sedate" enjoyment of the weekend. Greeneville sounds promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol