Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

Hi , I need help from anyone that can. I need a lawyer, I know, but I dont have a job, and no money. I went to work for a certain insurance company here as an agent. I was told commission only, however after a short time, the owner expected me to come into the office to help him with customer service, making calls, taking care of his business. Mind you, this is the man that writes my checks, so I have to do what I am asked. I even went out of town with him, to train his other agents. In two months time, he wrote me just one check for 400 dollars draw. He even went as far as to take a quote I was working on, and hadnt even collected a downpayment on, and wrote the policy , because he wanted to make his bonus that month. I told him this was wrong, and I also told him that he needed to pay me for all the work that I had been doing for him. He told me he didnt have to pay me anything because I am commission only worker, and that if I tried to do anything, he would make my life a living hell. He told me that I dont have any idea just how powerful he is, or just how many people he knows or can buy. He told me that it was time we parted ways, and that I would get a commission check from him in a few weeks and to let it go. I waited and finally I asked him about my commission, he informed me that my policies had canceled and that I owe him money???? I was astounded, how could he do this, he never paid me any commission. I wrote 12,000 in policies and always collected the 25% downpayment. The only policy I didnt collect on was the one he took from me a wrote, without my consent, to make his bonus. If you know any good lawyers that think they can help. Please have them to contact me or give me thier number. I need help, I am afraid to even go out, because I know he has the money to buy people here. I am trapped with no where to go, no money, and no job.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times
This goes well beyond the scope of this forum, but clearly you have been wronged. Assuming you're in TN, tell your story to the Labor Standards Division of the TN Dept. of Labor, either through email (Christina.Tugman@tn.gov) or call 615-741-2858. I would also contact the TN Department of Commerce and Insurance at 615-741-2176. Best wishes to you.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,099 times
All great suggestions from Kamoshika; and I'd also look into whether legal aid can help you (there *must* be some form of legal aid in the TRI?).

You were SO clearly taken advantage of - whether this guy really has any *power* I hope he is severely reprimanded by the state - or maybe they'll even suspend his license for a while. G00D Luck!! Keep us posted on what happens..
Sounds like the dark ages.. I really thought these kinds of situations were in the past.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,000 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I did call the labor board. They told me to hire a lawyer, because they say I was a commission worker which means independant and I have no rights as far as they are concerned. I am still waiting to hear from the insurance commission, but from what I understand, they dont get into matters between the workers and the employers. I hope someone can help me...

Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times
Legal Aid of East Tennessee - Johnson City Branch Office

311 W. Walnut Street
P.O. Drawer 360
Johnson City, TN 37604

Counties Served: Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, Washington
Phone: (423) 928-8311 or toll-free (800) 821-1312
Email: emiller@laet.org
Services: Civil Matters

Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Gulay,
I am truly sorry for your situation and wish you all the best and a quick resolve. However this type of post really doesn't have to do with TN and is not what this forum is for, so I am going to have to close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol