Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

406 posts, read 1,432,268 times

Advertisements

All in all, I guess I shouldn't be overally worried about what people are talking about as far as the poor air quality casuing cancer in Knoxville? Alot of people seem to be happy there. Well, I guess we cant take everything TOO seariously because even by drinking tap water you are more likely to develop cancer, being out in the sun too often you might get cancer, Talking on a cell phone too often... there are many ways; and we cant avoid them all. So maby I should stop worrying about the negative people are saying.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Are you set on Knoxville, or are you still exploring places like Charlotte, Concord, Arkansas. Greenville, Huntsville, Florida, etc?

I'm leanin torwards Knoxville but I'm still very much soo interested in N. Charlotte or Concord, Nc... And even possibly Greenville. I'ts just that I'm comein closer to my decision and this is a good thing

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
There a lot of places to find these rates, and I've actually looked at the data per town, but just for a quick, down and dirty comparison.

Cancer Rates:

TN 551.6
SC 556
NC 550.8

And just because it is fun:

NJ: 596.1

US Cancer Statistics: An Interactive Atlas

Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There a lot of places to find these rates, and I've actually looked at the data per town, but just for a quick, down and dirty comparison.

Cancer Rates:

TN 551.6
SC 556
NC 550.8

people actually stress themselves out about these list, and let this be a determining factor on where they move?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
people actually stress themselves out about these list, and let this be a determining factor on where they move?
Probably not, for most. Some posters like to channel their personal unhappiness through such "sky is falling" posts.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Probably not, for most. Some posters like to channel their personal unhappiness through such "sky is falling" posts.

Thats what I thought, I've fallin in love with everything I hear about Knoxillve (It just keeps growin on me and I wanna go there more and more) but this kinda pused me in my tracks. But I think this info is NOT enough to change my mind about the place.

Last edited by iwantyall2know; 08-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: had to eddit

Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Thats what I thought, I've fallin in love with everything I hear about Knoxillve (It just keeps growin on me and I wanna go there more and more) but this kinda pused me in my tracks. But I think this info is NOT enough to change my mind about the place.
What info? Because someone SAID there was high cancer rates because they like it better in Jersey? It's NOT TRUE. I just proved it. So what info are you referring to?

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM

93 posts, read 170,885 times
Default Knoxville

Quote:
I'm leanin torwards Knoxville but I'm still very much soo interested in N. Charlotte or Concord, Nc... And even possibly Greenville. I'ts just that I'm comein closer to my decision and this is a good thing
Hi I have been looking at Knoxville and Charlotte also and I'm leaning towards Knoxville also. It seems I have a lot of reasons why. Charlotte seems like a great place, but I feel I fit in better in a place that is not the "it" place, where everyone is flocking to, which seems to fit the profile of Charlotte a bit more. Knoxville seems a little more real and homey.

I'm probably coming down for a second look next week.

About the cancer thing, you can also check out
www.scorecard.org
I checked it a little and there weren't any red flags about the Knoxville area

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM

207 posts, read 643,418 times
Quote:

Cancer Rates:

TN 551.6
SC 556
NC 550.8

That's a very interesting map. I'm a bit surprised that the Southwest and West are all below the median. I would have expected skin cancers to be very prevalent there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If you sort by Death Rate, then TN jumps to one of the worst (47 out of 51). That appears to be primarily due to lung cancer with its high mortality rates (TN ranked 49 out of 51 for lung cancer). The Southeast seems to totally dominate lung cancer deaths. I would guess that is more closely attached to smoking rates than pollution though.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
What info? Because someone SAID there was high cancer rates because they like it better in Jersey? It's NOT TRUE. I just proved it. So what info are you referring to?

lol, very good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville