Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM

406 posts, read 1,432,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
Hi I have been looking at Knoxville and Charlotte also and I'm leaning towards Knoxville also. It seems I have a lot of reasons why. Charlotte seems like a great place, but I feel I fit in better in a place that is not the "it" place, where everyone is flocking to, which seems to fit the profile of Charlotte a bit more. Knoxville seems a little more real and homey.

I'm probably coming down for a second look next week.

About the cancer thing, you can also check out
www.scorecard.org
I checked it a little and there weren't any red flags about the Knoxville area

Yea, i've done quit a bit of research myself, maby we could exchange some information. I get the same impression of Charlotte, it's like everybody is flocking there because it's the "in" thing to do. However although Charlotte has alot of flaws like growing too quickly the city cant keep up, the traffic, the roads, alot of transplants which dilutes local southern culture but on the other hand, I like the sprawl, how if you go 15-25 any which way you are in a different area, I like that the crime is in fact quit high but most is situated on the east and west sides of town where as the north and south have less crime. Due to pure size it has plenty to do while keeping some southern culture (even with the rapid growth and many transplants from other areas). Still wonderful weather seeing as how it's in the south. (I would prefer TN weather though, 4 more very distinct seasons which each being very vivid and beautiful). So because of this Knoxville has more "natural beauty" while Charlotte is more appealing due to all the attractions, the many parks, overall its a very clean city I hear. So I dont know both are very good places really. I'm just thinkin its time to take things a bit more slower, be around morel locals, move to a smaller cities. I'm not worried about some people's concerns like "nightlife" or how "big" or "active" the downtown is, In Knoxville you can be around more natural beauty (The TN river flows through downtown, (Your 30 minutes from the Smokey Mountains. From some angles you can see them in the backdrop. (I think my preference is Knoxville Over Charlotte).

Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I have no idea how many parks Charlotte has but we have a lot. More than folks with such low tax rates should have, but we do. And lots of greenways. City of Knoxville - Greenways Parks Information - Knox County Tennessee - A Great American Community Parks & Recreation - Knox County Tennessee - A Great American Community City of Knoxville Parks and Greenways Map

The bottom line, though, is you have to visit both places. What may be for one is not necessarily for another. You'll know the vibe when you feel it.

kell5252, I was born in Mass., and lived there for 34 years. Knoxville is nothing like New England. Knoxville is about the size of Worcester but there is where the similarities end. Worcester hasn't been "alive" since the 50s, even when they built the Centrum and Worcester Center, the revitalization ended there. Knoxville is a case study of how to restore a city back to its vibrancy.

Knoxville is a sweet, little city. It's very homey.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM

187 posts, read 460,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Yea, i've done quit a bit of research myself, maby we could exchange some information. I get the same impression of Charlotte, it's like everybody is flocking there because it's the "in" thing to do. However although Charlotte has alot of flaws like growing too quickly the city cant keep up, the traffic, the roads, alot of transplants which dilutes local southern culture but on the other hand, I like the sprawl, how if you go 15-25 any which way you are in a different area, I like that the crime is in fact quit high but most is situated on the east and west sides of town where as the north and south have less crime. Due to pure size it has plenty to do while keeping some southern culture (even with the rapid growth and many transplants from other areas). Still wonderful weather seeing as how it's in the south. (I would prefer TN weather though, 4 more very distinct seasons which each being very vivid and beautiful). So because of this Knoxville has more "natural beauty" while Charlotte is more appealing due to all the attractions, the many parks, overall its a very clean city I hear. So I dont know both are very good places really. I'm just thinkin its time to take things a bit more slower, be around morel locals, move to a smaller cities. I'm not worried about some people's concerns like "nightlife" or how "big" or "active" the downtown is, In Knoxville you can be around more natural beauty (The TN river flows through downtown, (Your 30 minutes from the Smokey Mountains. From some angles you can see them in the backdrop. (I think my preference is Knoxville Over Charlotte).

Good post...I agree with about 90% of all that....Having grown up in Knox and living in Charlotte for 2 years....I can answer most questions about both areas....People move to Charlotte cause its a big city with real big city jobs...Great weather 9 months out of the year...It has alot of things to see and do there...Its great for families and so on...Its alot like New York without the bad winters and high taxes...The crime there is blown way out of proportion too...Most of the crime there is domestic and drug related like it is in Knox as well...Break in's are way more common there than violent crime,And most of the break in's there are caused by people leaving there doors unlock with valuables in sight...Knox actually has a higher murder rate per 100k people than Charlotte does...Knox has some great parks,But Freedom Park in Charlotte by far is the best park i've been to anywhere...Not to mention the Lake Norman Park is also a great lakefront park nearby in Mooresville....Freedom Park has been featured in a few movies...It has a real NYC park type feel to it....Either way tho...Both Knox and Charlotte are two good cities to settle depending on if you like the small college towns or the major cities...Charlotte's Metro area is 3 times the size of Knox's metro area But yet believe it or not...To me Charlotte's traffic isn't that much worse than it is here...The only real area that Knox beats Charlotte hands down tho,Is the interstates....Charlotte has a pretty poor interstate system for a city its size

Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Good post...I agree with about 90% of all that....Having grown up in Knox and living in Charlotte for 2 years....I can answer most questions about both areas....People move to Charlotte cause its a big city with real big city jobs...Great weather 9 months out of the year...It has alot of things to see and do there...Its great for families and so on...Its alot like New York without the bad winters and high taxes...The crime there is blown way out of proportion too...Most of the crime there is domestic and drug related like it is in Knox as well...Break in's are way more common there than violent crime,And most of the break in's there are caused by people leaving there doors unlock with valuables in sight...Knox actually has a higher murder rate per 100k people than Charlotte does...Knox has some great parks,But Freedom Park in Charlotte by far is the best park i've been to anywhere...Not to mention the Lake Norman Park is also a great lakefront park nearby in Mooresville....Freedom Park has been featured in a few movies...It has a real NYC park type feel to it....Either way tho...Both Knox and Charlotte are two good cities to settle depending on if you like the small college towns or the major cities...Charlotte's Metro area is 3 times the size of Knox's metro area But yet believe it or not...To me Charlotte's traffic isn't that much worse than it is here...The only real area that Knox beats Charlotte hands down tho,Is the interstates....Charlotte has a pretty poor interstate system for a city its size

I like your post as well however I do have to state that my source for the higher crime was Federal Bureau of Investigation - How To, Use Our Resources, for the years 2005-2008 It shows a break down of how many murders, how many violent crimes etc (actual numbers of them). Compared to the city i'm in now its like 3 times as many, (and the city i'm in is slightly larger). However Knoxville is obviously alot smaller but also alot less murders, alot less crime overall, (now looking at it in terms of how many per 1,000) I havn't done. but by the numbers Knoxville looks quit a bit safer. Also Charlotte was listed as one of the most dangerous cities lately... As well as most miserable city... (Which I dont agree with that one).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
The rate is pretty close, depending on year, of course. But there is also another problem with comparing the rates. Charlotte releases its murder rate as part of Mecklenberg County. Knoxville only releases its info for the city. Add in the county and the rate is going to be much lower. I've checked City-Data's info, along with the FBI's rate, but Charlotte always releases its info this way.

And a huge word of caution regarding general crime rates. TN tracks its crime very differently than most other states. They take every charge and count it separately, as opposed to most states that can take five charges and lump them together as one incident.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,782,977 times
Quote:
As far as weather, Knoxvlle and Charlotte are nearly identical, I think Charlotte may be 1 degree warmer. One good point is that Knoxville is usually a bit less hot and humid in the summer due to its slightly higher elevation.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM

The crime in Charlotte really is a joke....If you talk to most of the people that live there they will laugh about the crime stats there....They will say its a good thing and then laugh while saying "maybe people will stop moving here now"....I've heard it more than once when i lived there...90% of the crime there the average person will not see,Unless its in the paper or on the late night news....Charlotte does count every stat too..Like if theres a shooting and 4 people gets killed...They count it as 4 murders and not just one....Also Knox doesn't count DUI deaths or arson deaths as murders,Meaning it doesn't show up in the final murder numbers...As in Charlotte i'm pretty sure murder is counted as murder weather or not its by shooting,stabbing,fire or car...Granted Knox probably only has 4 or 5 DUI deaths a year at most

Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The crime in Charlotte really is a joke....If you talk to most of the people that live there they will laugh about the crime stats there....They will say its a good thing and then laugh while saying "maybe people will stop moving here now"....I've heard it more than once when i lived there...90% of the crime there the average person will not see,Unless its in the paper or on the late night news....Charlotte does count every stat too..Like if theres a shooting and 4 people gets killed...They count it as 4 murders and not just one....Also Knox doesn't count DUI deaths or arson deaths as murders,Meaning it doesn't show up in the final murder numbers...As in Charlotte i'm pretty sure murder is counted as murder weather or not its by shooting,stabbing,fire or car...Granted Knox probably only has 4 or 5 DUI deaths a year at most

Ok, maby you can help with some of my other post as well

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, maby you can help with some of my other post as well

Yeah no problem...If you pick Charlotte...Just stay out of the East and West ends....90% of the crime in Charlotte happens in those two areas...Not even joking...South Park and the Univ. area along Harris Blvd would be the two safest areas,But the Univ area is overran with college students too and is more prone to break in's cause after all it is mostly college students,But i do love the Univ area tho...Theres a Boardwalk area there with a man made lake surrounded by shops and Billys on the Boardwalk is def a must to eat at if you're ever in the area

Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah no problem...If you pick Charlotte...Just stay out of the East and West ends....90% of the crime in Charlotte happens in those two areas...Not even joking...South Park and the Univ. area along Harris Blvd would be the two safest areas,But the Univ area is overran with college students too and is more prone to break in's cause after all it is mostly college students,But i do love the Univ area tho...Theres a Boardwalk area there with a man made lake surrounded by shops and Billys on the Boardwalk is def a must to eat at if you're ever in the area

Crime in N. & NE Charlotte ? This is one of my threads on here. Do you have any information on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville