Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,001 times

Advertisements

Running trails that are safe for your wife and dog to jog are Lakeshore and Cherokee. I've gone running as late as 8 at Lakeshore and it's well lit and there are plenty of people there. Knoxville also boasts a huge runner's club. Plenty 5ks going on all the time. Knoxville Track Club

A 4 bedroom for 250K is very feasible here, you will not have a problem finding something.

Knoxville has great access for nature lovers. Plenty of recreation with the lakes, river. Check out the Cove on Northshore to read a book under the shade of a tree by the river, hike Tellico or Gatlinburg, float down the lazy river in Townsend, bike Haw Ridge.

"Bookish" have a great resale bookstore here, McKay's. Can find lots of unique, out-of-print, or new bestsellers there.

Economy better than most places, but it's still a struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM

60 posts, read 146,398 times
Knoxville is large enough for you to make a nice home here for your family...so long as you are tolerant and willing to inculturate a lil bit. Went to college with folks from out of state and they always went on about how their state was "better" in this way and that way. Just made me want to say "if it's so bad here, then LEAVE." (FWIW, I'm from out of state and don't want to leave).

Best advice I ever heard when it came to researching new places to move: "read the local paper to get a feel for the area." With the internet, that's a breeze.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_KNOX View Post
Knoxville is large enough for you to make a nice home here for your family...so long as you are tolerant and willing to inculturate a lil bit. Went to college with folks from out of state and they always went on about how their state was "better" in this way and that way. Just made me want to say "if it's so bad here, then LEAVE." (FWIW, I'm from out of state and don't want to leave).

Best advice I ever heard when it came to researching new places to move: "read the local paper to get a feel for the area." With the internet, that's a breeze.
Reps to you!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I disagree. Knoxville is a medium city that has a large U in it. I think of college towns as being like Athens, GA, Charlottesville, etc. Maybe Eugene?

We mean the same thing. "On steroids" means take the feel of a college town and blow it up into a city

Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Since you are nature lovers I am going to direct you to the Island Home neighborhood. There is a greenway that takes you to the nearby Ijams Nature center and beyond. Ijams is a wonderful place that I recommend highly to any nature lovers "listening in".

What age is(are) your kids?
Hi Creeksitter,

I have one 7 year old son. And a couple of animals (heeler and border collie) that need exercise! I will check some of those places out. Thank you!

FH

Old 08-24-2010, 03:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I've heard a wide range of opinion about the Elem school for Island Home. But there's a montessouri school nearby if need be.

Your four footed family members wil love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville