Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but I think the Vols will handle their business tonight.

The whole college football world has been genuflecting in front of Oregon and doing the Wayne and Garth "we're not worthy" all week over that 72 they put up against New Mexico, but I'm not convinced.

Every year we see spread offense teams run up big numbers against inferior opponents but struggle mightily against "real" defenses. I-formation, grind it out offenses like Tennessee's don't look as spectacular in blowouts, but run properly can control the clock against anyone.

Also, Oregon's defensive front looks to be an ideal match up for UT's talented but inexperienced O-line. They're fast, but they're way undersized. If we can win that match-up, grind it out on the ground, not put too much on Simms's shoulders, and not give up the big play on defense or special teams, I see us pulling off the upset.

My prediction: Tennessee 24, Oregon 17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I sure hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Call me crazy, but I think the Vols will handle their business tonight.

The whole college football world has been genuflecting in front of Oregon and doing the Wayne and Garth "we're not worthy" all week over that 72 they put up against New Mexico, but I'm not convinced.

Every year we see spread offense teams run up big numbers against inferior opponents but struggle mightily against "real" defenses. I-formation, grind it out offenses like Tennessee's don't look as spectacular in blowouts, but run properly can control the clock against anyone.

Also, Oregon's defensive front looks to be an ideal match up for UT's talented but inexperienced O-line. They're fast, but they're way undersized. If we can win that match-up, grind it out on the ground, not put too much on Simms's shoulders, and not give up the big play on defense or special teams, I see us pulling off the upset.

My prediction: Tennessee 24, Oregon 17

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 AM

15 posts, read 31,670 times
Hehehe...it's Sunday at 9:20 now. Sorry Vols fans!!

Saw quite a few people who traveled from Oregon outside the stadium last night!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselmouse View Post
Hehehe...it's Sunday at 9:20 now. Sorry Vols fans!!

Saw quite a few people who traveled from Oregon outside the stadium last night!
We have an unbelievably young team with a new coach. They did a great job, last night, and in no time they could become a force to be reckoned with. Go Vols!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM

It was fun while it lasted. When Simms floated that pass across the field off his back foot and Oregon took it the other way for six, I knew it was over. At that point it was just a seven point game midway through the third and we were in scoring range. Just too much youth and inexperience on both sides of the ball. At least we now know these guys can play. They will get better as the year goes on, and now that we finally have the right coaching staff in place, look for UT to be a force in a year or two.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 AM

165 posts, read 601,065 times
Clash of the two teams with the ugliest uniforms.

What happened to Tennessee's offense and defense in the second half? It went from a 13-13 game at the half to 48-13 in the end? Oregon was even behind until they tied the game with 1:04 in the 2nd Quarter.

This has to be some kind of record. I have watched a lot of college ball, but I have never seen any team after a tie win 35-0 in two quarters.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
Clash of the two teams with the ugliest uniforms.

What happened to Tennessee's offense and defense in the second half? It went from a 13-13 game at the half to 48-13 in the end? Oregon was even behind until they tied the game with 1:04 in the 2nd Quarter.

This has to be some kind of record. I have watched a lot of college ball, but I have never seen any team after a tie win 35-0 in two quarters.
A few years back, Texas trailed Oklahoma State 35-7 late in the second quarter then came back to win, 56-35. That was when they had VY at quarterback.

As for Tennessee's second-half collapse, it was a combination of a young team not being able to bounce back from a few big plays by Oregon and our severe lack of depth, especially on defense. While Oregon was able to rotate in fresh players when their first team guys needed breathers, we didn't have that luxury... and it showed as our D wore down late in the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville