Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,389 times

Advertisements

Food City used to be a client of mine, when I was in the advertising business... I shop at Kroger

I personally don't care for Walmart, but their prices are probably low. Perhaps go there for bulk tp/dry foods and Kroger for meat/produce. The new Kroger in Farragut is completely crazy. Samples to taste everywhere-eat while you shop! Plus their furniture deals are pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Food City used to be a client of mine, when I was in the advertising business... I shop at Kroger

I personally don't care for Walmart, but their prices are probably low. Perhaps go there for bulk tp/dry foods and Kroger for meat/produce. The new Kroger in Farragut is completely crazy. Samples to taste everywhere-eat while you shop! Plus their furniture deals are pretty awesome.
They are far from being the lowest when it comes to their dry goods and shelf staples. It looks like they may actually be the highest! People assume Walmart is cheaper and I suspect that the uneducated don't know enough to comparison shop.

I have yet to go to the new Kroger with the furniture. Is it on Kingston Pike in Farragut?

Shopping at the Super Target in Kroger has put me in a good mood for two days. I'm pretty easy to please!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
A word of caution shopping Wmart. I do much of my shopping at Wmart. I normally pay the cashier and don't look at my receipt unless it seems higher than I expected. Recently, I stopped in for two items and the one item I usually buy weekly was marked on the shelf at $3.78 when my bill was rung up it seemed higher that I expected and it was. They had charged me $4.32 for that one item and that was $.54 more than the item was marked. Wmart did return my $.54 cents but made me wait twenty minutes while they attempted to figure out why the overcharge. They could not determine is the item was not updated or that it mistaken for another product. Regardless, the manager removed the price tags from the shelf but left the item on the shelf for sale without knowing the actual price. Anyone purchasing that product afterwards would have paid and will pay the $4.32.

This one incident makes me wonder how many more Wmart items are not priced correctly. $.52 an item can really add up when you are filling up a grocery cart. Who's going to check? We think we saved money by shopping Wmart and if we paid the prices on the shelf we may have. However, with these false overcharges we may be paying more than the most expensive grocery store.

I urge you to start checking your Wmart shelf price with your actual charge. If you can't do it with you entire purchase then at least spot check a few items. Wmart is making much to much money off the backs of hard working Americans they shouldn't be allowed to steal even more.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
You nailed Wally's World perfectly. The chairman of Dayton-Hudson Corporation (former owners of Target, and may still be-haven't checked), a few years ago, called WalMart a retail predator. WM is ruthless, no scruples whatsoever, imvho.
Dayton-Hudson started Target back in the early 1960's. The compnaies name was changed to Target Corp. from DHC. Target sold the department stores off a few years back. Headquarters for Target are still in Minneapolis.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 AM

82 posts, read 165,202 times
I think the cheapest is Aldis, which is by Marshalls (just off Western Ave.)

Also this place, albeit, a little run down and I think Aldi's is better.
United Grocery Outlet, 6021 Chapman Highway, Ph 865-573-8000

Mind you, both of these stores are like Big Lots, so they may not have everything you are looking for everytime.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,164 times
A big thanks to everyone!!!..This has been so helpful!!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM

374 posts, read 945,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They are far from being the lowest when it comes to their dry goods and shelf staples. It looks like they may actually be the highest! People assume Walmart is cheaper and I suspect that the uneducated don't know enough to comparison shop.

I have yet to go to the new Kroger with the furniture. Is it on Kingston Pike in Farragut?

Shopping at the Super Target in Kroger has put me in a good mood for two days. I'm pretty easy to please!
I tend to buy the same items regularly and comparisons at other stores have regularly proven that the items I buy are considerably less expensive at Wal-Mart and I really wish it wasn't so We rarely eat meat now, but I'd agree that previously I didn't care for Wal-Mart meat.

Yes, Kroger MarketPlace is just off Kingston Pike in Farragut and it's AWESOME!!!

Now Hik, I'm really pleased that it's left you so happy, but exactly how do you shop at the Super Target in Kroger???

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I tend to buy the same items regularly and comparisons at other stores have regularly proven that the items I buy are considerably less expensive at Wal-Mart and I really wish it wasn't so We rarely eat meat now, but I'd agree that previously I didn't care for Wal-Mart meat.

Yes, Kroger MarketPlace is just off Kingston Pike in Farragut and it's AWESOME!!!

Now Hik, I'm really pleased that it's left you so happy, but exactly how do you shop at the Super Target in Kroger???
I meant Turkey Creek but you probably knew that.

All Walmarts price differently. I've found the one on Clinton Highway in Knoxville to be higher for several shelf items.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 165,202 times
I found the pattern of items ringing up at the cash register higher than marked at various stores, though not as much as years ago.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM

358 posts, read 999,838 times
I shopped at WM for years until recently. I increasingly felt disgusted with the "customer service", irritated at finding items once or twice and never again and criminal when I had to stop to have my basket examined upon leaving the store. Finally, my husband said it just wasn't worth the headache HE got b/c of my dislike, no, hatred, that increased with each trip to WM. We did a price comparison between WM and Super Target and it came to a 3 cent difference. I don't find the prices rising each week like I did at WM and I always get asked at least 3 times if I need assistance. We live in Fountain City and I have NO problem making a weekly trek to Super Target! I would love to see WM completely disappear. Now, if you insist, I will tell you how I REALLY feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville