Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

19 posts, read 32,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow. I disagree.

This is the most familiar place I have ever lived. Set aside time to run errands. You will end up talking to people in the grocery store, the bank, the stores...Knoxvillians have never met a stranger.

Now, Ted is from Florida, moved to the Maryville area and wants to go home. It wasn't his thing, so his responses might be colored by that.

I'm from the northeast, lived in Florida for quite awhile, hated it, and have lived here for five years. I live in the Fountain City area. Mostly locals in my area, and that is the way I like it. More transplants in west Knoxville and Farragut. Still a lot of locals, too, but there is a definite vibe change. However, if you are looking for a newer house, most of them can be had in those latter areas. To be honest, an awful lot of transplants land in new subdivisions, so if that is what you are looking for you will have to meet your neighbors first.

I think that rental price might be okay, although a tad low. Google for rentals. I think you'll find a lot more than Craigslist.
HikNapster, I am basically looking for just that with good schools. There are not really any other qualifications that matter. We are moving to start over with a better quality of life for ourselves and our children. I am not purchasing right off the bat. We want to wait for a while and build - when the time is right. We will def. check the Fountain City area out. I don't really have a preference for sub-divisions. I prefer an older house with charm over "cookie-cutters" but that's just me.... I guess when I come down I will just have to schedule a realtor because while we are checking things out, we also need to find a place to rent.

To the other poster who had something to say about my "familiarity" - I am me. I joke. I laugh. I call things as I see them. I don't care if you are from Africa, Mexico, Canada, NJ or TN. What you see is what you get. And MOST people that I encounter like that about me just fine. Those that don't are entitled to their opinions, but I am going to be myself no matter WHERE I go.

Thanks, Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventakas View Post
HikNapster, I am basically looking for just that with good schools. There are not really any other qualifications that matter. We are moving to start over with a better quality of life for ourselves and our children. I am not purchasing right off the bat. We want to wait for a while and build - when the time is right. We will def. check the Fountain City area out. I don't really have a preference for sub-divisions. I prefer an older house with charm over "cookie-cutters" but that's just me.... I guess when I come down I will just have to schedule a realtor because while we are checking things out, we also need to find a place to rent.

To the other poster who had something to say about my "familiarity" - I am me. I joke. I laugh. I call things as I see them. I don't care if you are from Africa, Mexico, Canada, NJ or TN. What you see is what you get. And MOST people that I encounter like that about me just fine. Those that don't are entitled to their opinions, but I am going to be myself no matter WHERE I go.

Thanks, Danielle
Danielle, you will be fine around here. I have a dead-pan sense of humor and this city is the first place where the people actually "get" my jokes. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt. Some people don't fit in well and are on their way out.

There are good schools here. In fact, we moved from Florida to Knoxville because of the schools. Then I waited to buy for three years so that I could find the perfect place. I live in a 1950s ranch and the neighborhood and school looks like it is right out of "Leave it to Beaver." The elementary school is tops. Sterchi Elementary School - Knoxville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Now, Ted is from Florida, moved to the Maryville area and wants to go home. It wasn't his thing, so his responses might be colored by that.
WRONG!

I need to go back to Florida because I need to be near my family. If it wasn't for that, I'd be booking to Canada so I could get decent health care.

If not for those things, I'd stay here forever. Some of the people here are challenging when it comes to humor, that's been my experience. It doesn't make me wrong.. just means I have seen things you haven't...

Still love you though!!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
WRONG!

I need to go back to Florida because I need to be near my family. If it wasn't for that, I'd be booking to Canada so I could get decent health care.

If not for those things, I'd stay here forever. Some of the people here are challenging when it comes to humor, that's been my experience. It doesn't make me wrong.. just means I have seen things you haven't...

Still love you though!!
I didn't realize that! Well I will be darned. I'm glad you like it here! And I hope everything is okay with your family.

I hear you on the healthcare issue. I have lots of family in Canada and they won't let me in. Maybe you will have better luck.

Also, maybe it is the quality of your jokes, Ted. I have people rolling around on the ground, laughing. Well, not quite, but darn close!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
Hik, at least now I know why I fell to the ground laughing the other day. Here I thought it was the outfit a woman in front of me was wearing in Target, but now I know, it was you posting something. I just felt a slight shift in the Universe.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Hik, at least now I know why I fell to the ground laughing the other day. Here I thought it was the outfit a woman in front of me was wearing in Target, but now I know, it was you posting something. I just felt a slight shift in the Universe.
That's because you and I are on the same wavelength.

By the way, barking spider is a very funny guy and I've seen more than a few people laugh at his jokes. Or maybe they were just laughing at him.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
I can't imagine who would dare laugh at our Barking Spider!
Hik, I'm with Barking Spider on this one, there was a shift in the universe. Rember the earth is shaking already because Catalysm is coming out very soon!
Pam

Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
My Mom always said: "They are laughing WITH you dear, not AT you".

And I'm staying with that.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
You do that, Spidey...just keep tellin' yourself....

Seriously though, Danielle....
In many cases, people who express a desire to leave the rat race behind will relocate and either try to turn their new home into where they left or else ridicule the very things they say they're relocating for.
This could be why your attempt at humor with the gouging joke and the littlenortheast (which I am still not convinced was all in jest) fell flat. When you hear people saying it (or read their dissatisfaction online or in print) and then read a post such as yours, it can spark an 'oh, no- not AGAIN' reaction in the locals.
We're friendly folk, until you ridicule us, our way of lives, our mamas, our swee'tea.... you get the picture

Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
Very well said RRR! I agree. I'm still not convinced it was all in jest. As a former yankee, I've had plenty of transplants say things like that too me and I never agree or jump in to bash any southerners. How could I do that when Bill is all southern?
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville