Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,011 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the outskirts of Newport> I would like to know what the natives think of outsiders moving in? What is the crime rate in Cocke County? We heard it was pretty bad a few years ago. Any answers would be very helpfull. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,258,433 times
If you search this forum, using either 'Newport' or 'Cocke County' you'll find all you'll ever need to know about the area and then some.
Good luck

Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 PM

17 posts, read 17,254 times
Newport is pretty bad...Alot of drugs there...Mostly pills and meth...Also theres been a few dead bodies found along the side of roads if that tells you anything...The local govt there is pretty corrupt also...I'd look into Jefferson Co maybe...Its not as bad as Newport and Cocke Co.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 AM

374 posts, read 948,487 times
Let's assume that you have already researched and read the previous posts here on the forum and have (probably wisely) concluded that a move to Cocke County just might not be exactly what you were looking for. BTW, very good advice that everything you need to know has already been posted...

There are a lot of very nice and helpful people here who are more than willing to give you input if you will share more information regarding what you are seeking in your move. It would be good to share what type of community you hope to settle in, if you will need employment, kids in school. It's also good to share what you require regarding home/lot size, rent or buy, and hope to pay regarding housing. It's nice to know a little of your background, rural or city, social/shopping needs, etc. I guess ultimately it boils down to what you HOPE to find and listening to people here guide you to where your dream is most likely to become a reality.

Good luck

Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,011 times
Thanks for all th input so far. My wife and I will be retired soon and would like to get out of the north country. We would like to find a 3 bedroom ranch with a couple of acres in the country out of tornado alley . we just want to live and let live if you know what I mean. How is Jefferson county as far as crime goes.Thanks again

Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM

16,178 posts, read 32,574,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredging155 View Post
Thanks for all th input so far. My wife and I will be retired soon and would like to get out of the north country. We would like to find a 3 bedroom ranch with a couple of acres in the country out of tornado alley . we just want to live and let live if you know what I mean. How is Jefferson county as far as crime goes.Thanks again
Jefferson County has some very nice areas. Come visit and take a look around. If you like the slower life and not a lot of shopping choices then it might be the place for you. It is very nice and quiet there and a live and let live type feel to it.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Jefferson County ranges from rural to semi-rural. If you're wanting peace and quiet within a 30-45 minute drive (depending on where you are in the county and which mall you're headed to) to major shopping (of course we have WalMart, grocery and drugs stores and many other shopping options, but if it's mall-type stores you're after, it's elsewhere)- then Jeff Co is your place. Please be aware that acreage isn't cheap (well, maybe to people who come from a more expensive area, but to locals it's kinda nutty) and typically goes for 5-10g an acre.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 PM

21 posts, read 56,384 times
Default Current "Outskirts" Resident

I moved to the outskirts of Newport from south FL 4 yrs ago this month. I would not trade this for anything. It was not my first choice, but where I was looking prior (Maryville/Seymour) was too busy. It has the basics (Grocery, Lowes, Wal Mart) and anything more is only 30 - 45 min away. Folks are very friendly, taxes are low and housing very affordable. Now, wherever you look, check into what home services are available (Cell service, internet, sat TV or cable) I didn't but was lucky enough to be in a good spot.

Cocke Co has had its share of issues - no doubt, but the only body by the side of the road was the recent discovery of a missing 19 yr old from 2009. The Meth and pill issues are not just Cocke Co, its everywhere. Drugs? Heck, Knoxville looks like they have an avg of one bank or drug store robbery a day.

Jefferson Co. (Dandridge) is very nice too.

Good luck !

Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
I drove through Newport Tennesse from a move from SC to Il. I thought that route would be smart because of the beautiful smokey mountains and scenic Eastern Tennessee. The people i met there were rude as soon as they knew I was an outsider. I stayed at comfort Inn and the woman that worked the desk recommended the steak house down the Street. I was treated extremely rudely and felt like i could of been in danger. I will make sure I NEVER EVER step foot in that town ever again. Sorry to the good people of Newport Tennessee but I felt like I was in an episode on the Dukes of Hazard.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM

Newport is pretty closed to outsiders, that's true.

I'm sorry you had that experience there. Next time, go a few more miles up the road to Dandridge. I guarantee you won't be treated badly.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville