Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM

157 posts, read 1,303,052 times

Advertisements

We are starting our research on waterfront communities in the Knoxville region. Can anyone here direct me to a directory or other consolidated source for a listing of waterfront communities in the Knoxville region?

Also looking for a good realtor with this knowledge as well.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM

62 posts, read 189,760 times
Hi!

If you go to http://www.public.kaarmls.com (broken link), you can find the public MLS for the Greater Knoxville area. Although, there is not a feature on there for finding specifically waterfront properties, it's a good starting point.

Generally, most of my buyers have chosen to buy in the Knox, Blount, and Loudon counties. They have homes in waterfront communities such as: Knoxville Area: The Anchorage, Rivendell, Keller Bend, River Club, Turtle Point, Lakeshore Meadows, Mallard Bay, Rivergate Estates, Montgomery Cove, Riversound, Fox Harbor, Westland Lakes, Channel Point, etc. Loudon County: Miller's Landing, ConKinnon Pointe, Toqua Pointe, Tommotley Shores, Tanasi Cove, etc. Blount County: Ridgewater, Watershaw, Channel Oaks, Lash Brooke, Jackson Bend, Cove Point, Riverbrook, etc.

If you're looking for waterfront lots instead, there are many new waterfront communities being developed right now in and around Knoxville. Also, there are still some lots available in the communities listed above.

Feel free to contact me for more info. The TN River runs thru Knoxville, so you have a great selection of waterfront properties to choose from. Prime lakefront lots start at $200,000 depending on the community and location. Prime lakefront homes start at $500,000 depending on the home.

Good luck!

Adelina Rotar

Last edited by AdelinaRotar; 08-06-2007 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Not finished...

Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
itsme2 -- I spent quite a bit of time looking for water access property in Knoxville. Are you looking for actual waterfront or waterview, or do you just want to be in a community that is? Do you want dockable property or a neighborhood with community access? And are you looking for deep water or just a cove?

I quickly learned that it's outrageously expensive and difficult to find actual waterfront property that's dockable in any of these communities-- certainly out of my price range, since I don't have a few million stashed away. Waterview is still expensive and the good lots go fast. If you're willing to give up waterview or be on an itsy bitsy little cove for ambiance, it's easier. Of course, if you're in a position to pony up a few million, you're in good shape! There are properties on the market now.

The neighborhoods AdelinaRotar noted above are good ones, but they all have stringent restrictions and you will have to build a large, pricey home that will pass a strict architectural review board. I know-- I'm getting ready to go through that process now!

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Dockable lots...Calling TVA usually answers all my questions about docks, what's allowed, what's not allowed, what the chances are of getting a permit approved, etc.

There was a lot that went quickly in The Anchorage last week--dockable @ only $199,900--great deal, that's why it went fast...but, for the most part...it does get pricey. A lot of new developments in West Knoxville that have waterfront lots available start in the $300,000's... View Point is a new community off of Northshore that has waterfront lots starting in this price range... There is an acre lot in ConKinnon Pointe right now for $225,000...but, this is an exception, not the norm.

As far as architectural reviews...yes, they are strict in most neighborhoods--especially in the Farragut area--the restrictions on the size of the home depends on the neighborhood. Typically, for a 2 story home you need a minimum of 3500 SF or so...

Like goodbyehollywood said in an earlier post, waterfront does get pricey. What you pay is going to depend on how much lake frontage you really have, whether it's in a cove or on the main channel, if it has year round water or not. Lake access, lake view, and lake front are very different...and the prices vary drastically on all of these "lake front communities"....

Adelina Rotar

Old 08-06-2007, 11:57 AM

157 posts, read 1,303,052 times
Thanks for the reponses.

We are in the up to $1M category and would like a dockable property, existing house or may build. Ideal would be 3-3500 sq. ft. (just the two of us), brick ranch with basement, 3 car or oversized 2 car garage would be great.

We can be outside of Knoxville in any area where there are significant medical facilities for employment within an easy 30 minute drive of our house. Does this narrow it down any better?

Thank you.

Last edited by itsme2; 08-06-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 PM

There is a home in TAYLORS LANDING...it is 2 story w/basement, 4 car garage, inground pool, already has a dock... Gravely Hills has some waterfront homes going up in this price range...they are approved for a 40x44 boat dock, but not included in the price of the home... Ridgewater S/D has a basement ranch home w/100' lake frontage & covered boat dock w/lift... also, another in Ridgewater S/D is 2 story w/basement, covered boat dock w/lift & 2 jet ski lifts...etc etc...

Basement ranchers on lakefront are fewer and far between...2 story basement homes are the more "popular" styles for lakefront homes in the Knoxville and surrounding areas...

West Knox, Blount County, and parts of Loudon County are an easy commute to major medical facilities...

If you're looking to build...there are many lakefront lots to choose from...it really depends on what type of lakefront you want...main channel, cove, year round water, etc...which area you prefer...West Knox is more expensive, but has access to several significant medical facilities, dining, shopping etc...West Knox is just very convenient...if you want to live a bit further out, Blount County or Loudon County has very nice lakefront properties available and would still be an easy commute to medical facilities...

Old 08-06-2007, 12:38 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
Wow, I'm surprised you can get those for under a mil. I ended up buying a wonderful waterview lot with a boat slip on the main channel. The market must be coming down!

Sounds like you know your stuff, AdelinaRotar!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM

Goodbyehollywood...Lashbrooke in Blount County is still quite expensive...they have a great amenities package though... There are still some very high priced communities, but there are also other communities that are sprouting up along the Northshore area like View Point that are affordable...Main channel lots are generally still in the $300K+ range for less lake frontage, $475K+ range for plenty of lake frontage, of course there are always ones that pop up on the market that are a deal, but they're the exception...

The homes I posted about earlier are several available...there are obviously plenty more that are over $1M...however, there are certainly properties that are lakefront under $1M...though not as many to choose from--they do exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville