Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it seemed to be thriving when I was there back in April. Good to hear its doing well. Sorry, I just assumed that it was still considered a suburb of Knoxville, but I normally just call smaller cities/communities around a bigger city suburbs. My bad. What are some actual suburbs of Knoxville?

I also agree with someone that mentioned alot of places are unsafe now--- even small cities. I know that here in Bristol, TN-VA the crime has really went up over the past few years. The biggest problem that was in the downtown area was prostitution. I think they have got that under control now, but still when I have to drive down there, I still see alot of tramps and vagabonds down there and nights when I have heard others say they have heard screams in the alley ways. There is a homeless shelter down there and now there are some upscale "lofts", so I am sure that the patrols are much higher now, especially with the restaurants that are coming. I guess the worst part of town is on the north side of downtown, where the low-budget housing complexes (AKA "projects") are strewn about - which happens to be very near a college with alot of "out of towners". I am sure its not a good example for them. Seems like I always hear of some mischief going on up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I would like to clarify that Alcoa and Maryville are NOT suburbs of Knoxville. They are their own cities with their own heritages'. Maryville is an old little city/town dating back to 1795. As a matter of fact, it wasn't that many years ago that Maryville was snubbed and thought poorly of by the majority of the Knoxville crowd. If ALCOA (the company) hadn't located by the airport then you might have seen that as a suburb to Knoxville; but with the plant opening there and money being pumped in to create the City of Alcoa and that thriving little city took off in its' own right.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-10-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, it seemed to be thriving when I was there back in April. Good to hear its doing well. Sorry, I just assumed that it was still considered a suburb of Knoxville, but I normally just call smaller cities/communities around a bigger city suburbs. My bad. What are some actual suburbs of Knoxville?
No problem! Knoxville is in Knox County and Alcoa and Maryville are in Blount County. That is also a big difference; especially considering how Knox County government has been acting lately . (that will get Hiknapster going!)

By the way, I love Food City

Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Oh yeah... I forgot about them being in a totally different county.

Kinda off-topic, but I have always been confused why the "Knoxville" airport is not in Knoxville. Also, NWS uses that location as the official temperature reporting station for Knoxville... I think that since it is so far out, that Knoxville should have a wx observation station near the downtown area.

Thanks again MTNGAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
No problem! Knoxville is in Knox County and Alcoa and Maryville are in Blount County. That is also a big difference; especially considering how Knox County government has been acting lately . (that will get Hiknapster going!)

By the way, I love Food City

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie0722 View Post
I moved to Knoxville in the Fall of 2002 from Kansas City. As in any community there are nicer areas that others but crime in general is not a problem here. I LOVE IT!

I think I've commented on this before, but it seemed like EVERY morning in KC, we saw at least one murder being reported on the news. I think I've only seen one or maybe 2 reported in my time here. Granted, I don't watch the news as much as I used to, but I don't consider it near as bad as KC...(and I realize it's much smaller).

Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I think I've commented on this before, but it seemed like EVERY morning in KC, we saw at least one murder being reported on the news. I think I've only seen one or maybe 2 reported in my time here. Granted, I don't watch the news as much as I used to, but I don't consider it near as bad as KC...(and I realize it's much smaller).
I was the same way when I moved here from Memphis. I couldn't believe how refreshing it was to watch the evening news and not have homicides and stabbings start just about every nightly newscast.

I remember one Thanksgiving, the news in Knoxville was about happy shoppers lining up in the middle of the night to be the first to do their Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving. The news showed deliriously happy people singing, playing, dancing in the wee hours of the morning outside of Target and Wal-Mart.

In Memphis, the same day, the news was about what to do to keep from being mugged or robbed while shopping the day after Christmas. It showed people lined up in the wee hours of the morning outside of Target and Wal-Mart, but those people were also carrying baseball bats and mace to protect themselves. It was a stark difference between Memphis and Knoxville.

The Magnolia Avenue area is "bad" by Knoxville standards, but it can't compare to the "bad" areas of Memphis, Atlanta, and I guess even KC.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Oh yeah... I forgot about them being in a totally different county.

Kinda off-topic, but I have always been confused why the "Knoxville" airport is not in Knoxville. Also, NWS uses that location as the official temperature reporting station for Knoxville... I think that since it is so far out, that Knoxville should have a wx observation station near the downtown area.

Thanks again MTNGAL!
Ok, Knoxville's original airport was the Downtown Island Airport. It is still there and operating today (my son had his CAP meetings there). You can read about its' history here: Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport

It was too small for the bigger planes and it was land and water locked so Mrs. Tyson donated land in honor of her son and we have the current McGhee Tyson airport.
Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport

That's the nickel tour info

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM

24 posts, read 80,317 times
Come to Norris.

It's a 25 minute drive straight up I-75 during rush hour.

I grew up outside Washington DC and never felt especially endangered. Then I lived in Knoxville and thought DC was a little rough around the edges.

Now I live in Norris and I think Knoxville is kind of rough around the edges.

We had a murder in Norris about two years ago. The last one before that was in the 80's, I think. Otherwise, about the worst crime is kids pulling up the stop signs at Halloween. Seriously.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,701 times
Default Back door kicked in Rutledge area

We haven't even moved in yet, we are remodeling the house. Someone kicked in the back door, even though it was deadbolted..and stole several thousands worth of tools. Thats a nice welcome..wouldn't ya say? And to think we were moving into a safe rural area...

Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygalinsville View Post
We haven't even moved in yet, we are remodeling the house. Someone kicked in the back door, even though it was deadbolted..and stole several thousands worth of tools. Thats a nice welcome..wouldn't ya say? And to think we were moving into a safe rural area...
Probably someone on drugs.... I am so sorry. That area is so gorgeous but has its' drawbacks like any other. They have great tomatoes out that way! Make friends with neighbors, go to church, they'll help you watch your place and spread the word that you're "good people". When I go to Kingsport I go through Rutledge as long as it is light out; if not I go the interstate.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 34,883 times
I've lived in Knoxville for nearly two years now and am very happy with the small amount of crime. I'm partial to South Knoxville...it reminds me of my more rural home. Chapman Highway is a bit busy, but the homes aren't as cluttered. I don't think SK is as crime ridden as downtown, ie homeless shelters, or East Knoxville. My wife and I refuse to go to Knoxville Center Mall after dark...especially on the weekends. The Wal-Mart and Sam's Club in East Knoxville are a bit sketchy after dark too. Avoid Magnolia and Asheville Higway at all costs...any time of day. Don't beleive me? Drive by down Broadway towards Henley and count the rough looking folks spending their days under the interstate. Tell me drugs and prositution don't go on there! Anyway, I'm very surprised with the way things are, I grew up in a town less than 3000 people. Very pleased and happy with safe feeling of my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville