Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
My wife and I are looking around for a possible new hometown in the future as well. And Sevierville was one that popped up as being a good possibility. I don't know what Knoxville has to do with Sevierville, but the Mod just decided to throw it up here for some unknown reason. I guess they didn't like me asking all my questions.

But if anyone can be of GOOD help and fill us in on the SEVIERVILLE area and its people any jobs, it would be a great help. I'm a ASPHALT truck drive and it has to deal with building roads, driveways and parking lots, it has NOTHING to do with Concrete or a the manufacturing of said products. So, what are the jobs like in the ASPHALT industry?

Are the folks in that area fanatical about their religion and politics, or are they level headed about them?

What kind of racial diversity is there in SEVIERVILLE (NOT KNOXVILLE) is there?

And where is the closest VA hospital to SEVIERVILLE.
Dude, I am so sorry you felt the info I gave was not good. It may not have been the answers you were hoping to get but it is the truth. We are not the Chamber of Commerce here on the forum. We are not going to blow smoke up your...... we are going to tell you the truth. Have you ever been to TN? Sevierville boarders Knoxville. Pigeon Forge is in Sevierville. It is like the Branson of the south. 95%+ of the jobs there are in the tourist industry. The traffic is some of the worst in east TN...if not the worst.
Have you looked up Asphalt companies in Sevierville on any of the many free on line yellow pages? Have you contacted them to see if they are hiring? I was being very honest with you when I said that there are a lot of local companies that hire general laborers will only hire locals. It is very hard for non locals to get those jobs and those locals that have those jobs keep them, there is not a lot of turn over of those jobs, especially now. I am sorry if that is not the answer you were looking for, but that is how I see it and I have my brother who was just recently looking for work in the cement industry, which whether you want to hear it or not is similar, and shared his experience with you, trying to help you. Basically, unless you want to work in the hotel/restaurant industry or are in the theater business or work in retail, it is VERY hard to find work in Sevierville. The average median income in Sevierville is 35k. But now, due to geography, you can live in Sevier county and work in Knoxville in different industries. But you don't want to hear about Knoxville.

As for religion: it is the bible belt. It is not named that for the heck of it. Yes, people here feel very strongly about their religion, which ever it may be. You will see tents set up for revivals in the summer months...especialy in Sevierville. Although there are a lot of non religious people here too and do just fine, but I also notice that they are those who do not begrudge those who chose to strongly believe in what ever. If you want to live somewhere where you will not find anyone "fanatical" about their religion, any where in the Bible belt might not work for you.
As for politics, it is primarily a red state. Unless you want to live in a very populated city, like Knoxville or Nashville you will find that the majority (not all) are of similar mind about red state politics. But it being TN, most people just keep that to themselves.
Racial diversity in Sevierville?? It is 95% tourists, people come from all over the world to visit Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The population of actual residents of Servierville is only 11,000 people even though there are probably well over 150,000 people there on any given weekend. According to City-Data stats, which are easily found here: //www.city-data.com/city/Sevier...Tennessee.html
94.9% of the population in 2008 are white/non hispanic.

The closest VA hospital to Sevierville is in Johnson City, which is about an hour and a half drive to the north east. (also easy to find through google)

You seem pretty demanding with your request for info and specific info at that which really only you can find for yourself by visiting here. You seem upset that primarily only moderators have answered your posts on here.
Here is the best piece of advice I or anyone could ever give you about moving to TN. If you want any area in TN to conform to your wants and your beliefs and they are not all ready that way, you will not be happy in TN. It is a very live and let live kind of area and pretty set in their ways.
The reason you have had no one but moderators answer your posts other than traffic or weather?? My thought is because you came across so pushy and demanding that most might have just ignored you? I don't know. But you could be just a little appreciative of the responses you got instead of insulting those that did because you didn't like the answers.
Was this response to your last post of questions through enough for you this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Thumbs up Now we're talking

No we're getting somewhere .

Being laid back is a good thing, I'm not a religious man by no means and I'm surely not one to allow others to push it in my face. Accepting other goes in so many ways it ain't funny. Its good the people want to have something to believe in, just as long as they let other do it in their own way and not judge them by it.

We have talked about taking a trip down there to look around. But it always help to talk to those who know best before taking the trek.

One never has to be in the Chamber of Commerce to answer questions from the heart. Because most of the time the CoC is out of touch with the locals anyway, that's why I like to talk to average folks like myself.

The VA only being about an hour and a half is good, strait shot up SR321 I see. Try driving around Cleveland to get to the VA Hospital, not fun.

With there being a big tourist industry, that tells me that the roads are always in need of work and that adds up to jobs. State Jobs are always "Good-ole-Boys" clubs in every state you go and that means allot of nepotism going on.

Is Tennessee a big union state, do you know?

I could care less about what color people like to claim when it comes to politics. But a fella I know that live down along the southern border of Tennessee had told me that people were getting so out of hand during "bush's reelection ", that they were actually damaging others cars for displaying "Republican" sticker. I don't know if this is true or not, but it seem to be quite (simply minded) to me if it is true. Being different is what makes this country of ours so great. And I love being a bit of a "FREE" thinker and not closed minded.

Thanks for the reply ;~)

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
321 isn't a straight shot to anything, it is a windy state road that is considered "the scenic route". You would need to take 40 to 81 to 26 for the fastest route, that is an hour and a half. 2 1/2 by 321. Getting from Sevierville downtown to I40 is not easy nor fast.
There are people who will push their religion on you and judge you by your religion or lack there of.
Very few unions. Good-ole-boy network is not limited to gov. jobs. Nor is nepotism.
Your friend was right, there were issues with that.
There are a lot of closed minded people the further you get away from large cities in TN.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
321 isn't a straight shot to anything, it is a windy state road that is considered "the scenic route". You would need to take 40 to 81 to 26 for the fastest route, that is an hour and a half. 2 1/2 by 321. Getting from Sevierville downtown to I40 is not easy nor fast.
There are people who will push their religion on you and judge you by your religion or lack there of.
Very few unions. Good-ole-boy network is not limited to gov. jobs. Nor is nepotism.
Your friend was right, there were issues with that.
There are a lot of closed minded people the further you get away from large cities in TN.
Good on the "few unions" part, I'm not union fan by any means.
And speaking of "Networks", Are there many clubs such as, AmVets, Eagles, VFW, American Legions and others like these in the area of Sevierville? These are some of the best places to meet folks and do a little job connecting , with.

And that's really sad that folks can't just accept other for who they are and what they believe in, or don't believe in. We have allot of closed minded folks up here , too, sad to say. I thought that he may have been pulling my leg because he knows how I feel about such things. But he also knows that I'm no push over when it comes to people putting a hand on me or my family and friends. Especially the elderly and children, "Don't touch" if you want to keep you body parts intact. I learned that from my Dad who was born and raised in the eastern end of Kentucky, in the hills .

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM

374 posts, read 945,836 times
Default Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Good on the "few unions" part, I'm not union fan by any means.
And speaking of "Networks", Are there many clubs such as, AmVets, Eagles, VFW, American Legions and others like these in the area of Sevierville? These are some of the best places to meet folks and do a little job connecting , with.
on the networking idea in Sevierville. Yes, there are a few of the clubs there you've mentioned. I was acquainted with a few from the DAV in Sevierville and it certainly didn't appear to be a good networking place to be looking for a job. I believe most of the ones you've listed primarily consist of retirees and seniors. If you should decide to move to Sevier County, and you need to depend on a job there, and you want to survive financially, you had better darn well have a job in place when you move. Long-standing locals still are usually are first in line for jobs and/or it's WHO you know, not what you know.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Earthbound,
From reading your posts on this thread..... I have to ask why Sevierville, Tn.? Why Tn. at all? If in real life you are the way you come across on this board, I don't think you'll be happy in Tn.
Although Sevierville, as has been stated is predominantly tourists, there are still natives there and they are proud of their heritage. Remember you are the outsider moving in, it is up to you to keep your opinions to yourself on how close minded you may find them.
Clubs that you mentioned can be found in the yellow pages or by googling them or if you belong already in Ohio, ask your local club.
Just for the record, I read your early posts, I choose not to answer because your attitude turned me off and I participate on this board because I want to, not because I have to or answer every poster.
As a transplant myself, my observation is that you won't be happy here and especially in Sevierville. Tourist season is long and frustrating for a year round resident.When we first moved to Tn. we thought Sevierville was where we wanted to live, instead we lived in Dandridge for a year and had an appointment in Sevierville on a friday morning of a holiday weekend, it took us 45 minutes to get out of town.Traffic was heavy coming in that day. We've always been thankful that we never moved there. Presently we reside in Northeast Knoxville and love it here.
I'm curious why you don't move to the Kentucky hills where your daddy is from?
Pam

Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
on the networking idea in Sevierville. Yes, there are a few of the clubs there you've mentioned. I was acquainted with a few from the DAV in Sevierville and it certainly didn't appear to be a good networking place to be looking for a job. I believe most of the ones you've listed primarily consist of retirees and seniors. If you should decide to move to Sevier County, and you need to depend on a job there, and you want to survive financially, you had better darn well have a job in place when you move. Long-standing locals still are usually are first in line for jobs and/or it's WHO you know, not what you know.
Being a member of these clubs can also connect you with other trades, especially those that are in the building industries. Such as, heating and cooling, carpentry, plumbing, flooring and many others. Not just for jobs and such, Networking goes in many directions . And yes, those wonderful ladies that are so talented in the crafts and painting trades. These would be the locals that you would find that know their stuff, that you would find from those who trust them.

Truck drivers are always needed no matter where you go and a Asphalt jock (a good one) is hard to come by. But I do side line in the finish carpentry trade ie, trim, casings, crown molding, doors, windows, cabinets, counter tops and so on.

My wife and are big on camping, canoeing and biking and I noticed lots of wildlife ranges, how about State Park Camping areas, are there very many and what are they like. I like to fish, but I'm not fanatical about it in the way most people can be. If I get one, well that's nice, but if I don't Oh well. Basically we just want to get awy from the rat race of places like Cleveland.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 AM

374 posts, read 945,836 times
Default You are exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Earthbound,

Although Sevierville, as has been stated is predominantly tourists, there are still natives there and they are proud of their heritage. Remember you are the outsider moving in, it is up to you to keep your opinions to yourself on how close minded you may find them.
correct. The "old families" in Sevier County are proud of their heritage and have every right to be proud. If there are those who are unwelcoming to "outsiders" today, it may very well be totally justified due to "outsiders" moving in to their beautiful area, raping the land, inflating property values, and dramatically changing their culture forever. I'm not a TN native, but I truly sympathize with those "old families" and true locals of Sevier County.

And, for any "outsider" with snarky comments or opinions of Sevier County or the people there, or TN for that matter, the road that brought you there runs both ways.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
There are some state parks where you can camp, some state parks that are more like luxury hotel get-aways.
But, don't forget, if you end up in the Sevierville area, you have this little place called Great Smokies National Park nearby...it's big enough you probably couldn't see it all in a lifetime.

...and yes, you can camp there.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Earthbound,
From reading your posts on this thread..... I have to ask why Sevierville, Tn.? Why Tn. at all? If in real life you are the way you come across on this board, I don't think you'll be happy in Tn.
Clubs that you mentioned can be found in the yellow pages or by googling them or if you belong already in Ohio, ask your local club.
Just for the record, I read your early posts, I choose not to answer because your attitude turned me off and I participate on this board because I want to, not because I have to or answer every poster.
As a transplant myself, my observation is that you won't be happy here and especially in Sevierville. Tourist season is long and frustrating for a year round resident.When we first moved to Tn. we thought Sevierville was where we wanted to live, instead we lived in Dandridge for a year and had an appointment in Sevierville on a friday morning of a holiday weekend, it took us 45 minutes to get out of town.Traffic was heavy coming in that day. We've always been thankful that we never moved there. Presently we reside in Northeast Knoxville and love it here.
I'm curious why you don't move to the Kentucky hills where your daddy is from?
Pam

No work in Kentucky, unless you want to work the coal mines on the east end.
Sorry, no attitude was intended. I'm just an old retired SeaBee, and its hard to break.
Thanks for the input and why you choose the northeastern part of the state, that helps.
I never Google anything, but you can get good input from it like you can when you chat and get honest view points like yours .
traffic I can deal with, since I spend allot of time in and around Cleveland and its traffic.

Thank Pam&Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
correct. The "old families" in Sevier County are proud of their heritage and have every right to be proud. If there are those who are unwelcoming to "outsiders" today, it may very well be totally justified due to "outsiders" moving in to their beautiful area, raping the land, inflating property values, and dramatically changing their culture forever. I'm not a TN native, but I truly sympathize with those "old families" and true locals of Sevier County.

And, for any "outsider" with snarky comments or opinions of Sevier County or the people there, or TN for that matter, the road that brought you there runs both ways.
No one was making "Snarky" Comments about Tennessee and her people, now were they? Nor was I wanting to change anything about Sevierville. I love old little town and love to see them kept that way, with all their beauty, charm and good hard working people. And yes you are correct about one thing. There are those who do allot of damage to a community when they mess up the land and cause taxes to sky-rocket. But yet they add nor do they give anything back to the community. And I don't care for them either. I would much rather buy and old home and bring it back to its old world charm, then buy and build a new one.

But thanks for your input, as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
There are some state parks where you can camp, some state parks that are more like luxury hotel get-aways.
But, don't forget, if you end up in the Sevierville area, you have this little place called Great Smokies National Park nearby...it's big enough you probably couldn't see it all in a lifetime.

...and yes, you can camp there.
I'd much rather use our 18' camper, than some hotel when it comes to camping . And any of the State or National forest are a big draw to us in the state. We would much rather put our money back into the local community. Not that we're rich or anything like that, I am a truck driver mind you, LOL.

Thanks for you input and if you remember anything else. Give me a yell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville