Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 742,969 times

Advertisements

I know there are no Trader Joe's there, but are there any other health food stores? Or Farmer's Markets? If there are Farmers Market are they open all year, or just in the summer?

We are considering moving there and I'm just curious how easy it will be for me to shop other than going to the big supermarkets.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
There is an Earth Fare supermarket in the Turkey Creek complex in west Knox. There may be more elsewhere, too, not sure!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
We discussed Earth Fare on the thread "Is this a Stupid Idea." It should be on the last few pages of the thread.

Of course you wouldn't know this. It starts out talking about investment property, breaks out into a fight, then everybody hugs, makes up, and starts talking about health food, Turkey Creek and Splenda. I also whine about my aches and pains.

In other words it's a typical thread on the Tennessee forum conducted by a bunch of crazy Southerners!

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-17-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Red face Thanks, hiknapster. I was looking for the thread with Earth Fare! Oh, "Search". Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We discussed Earth Fare on the thread "Is this a Stupid Idea." It should be on the last few pages of the thread.

Of course you wouldn't know this. It starts out talking about investment property, breaks out into a fight, then everybody hugs, makes up, and starts talking about health food, Turkey Creek and Splenda. I also whine about my aches and pains.

In other words it's a typical thread on the Tennessee forum conducted by a bunch of crazy Southerners!
Very funny observation, hiknapster! I guess we are all guilty as charged for getting off of the subject from time to time.

I couldn't find the Earth Fare thread this AM, so now I know where to look. I had asked for easy directions to get there. We'll be coming up - looks like Fri. now - and would really like to check it out. (Did I get this back on the subject okay?)

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
No Trader Joe's yet, but we have several stores that sell healthy food plus some farmer's markets.
There's Earth Fare in Turkey Creek, a Fresh Market in Bearden and in Farragut, a Food Coop near downtown, a meat market in Bearden that specializes in free-range meat, a Shrimp Dock in Bearden and Powell that brings in fresh seafood from the Gulf, and another store in Bearden that I can't remember the name of.
Earth Fare Home
The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!
Farmer's Markets are seasonal. They were pretty pitiful this year because the 100-year-drought we're in hit the local farmer's hard. Generally, there are farmer's markets downtown on Wednesday and Saturday, in Oak Ridge on Saturday and on Tuesday's at the Seventh Day Adventist church parking lot near downtown.
There's also a Super Target in Turkey Creek. They carry a lot of things a store like Trader Joe's does. We also have a lot more ethnic markets than you would expect and some very good ethnic and vegetarian restaurants.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Thumbs up Thanks, knoxgarden. The websites are great and now bookmarked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
No Trader Joe's yet, but we have several stores that sell healthy food plus some farmer's markets.
There's Earth Fare in Turkey Creek, a Fresh Market in Bearden and in Farragut, a Food Coop near downtown, a meat market in Bearden that specializes in free-range meat, a Shrimp Dock in Bearden and Powell that brings in fresh seafood from the Gulf, and another store in Bearden that I can't remember the name of.
Earth Fare Home
The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!
Farmer's Markets are seasonal. They were pretty pitiful this year because the 100-year-drought we're in hit the local farmer's hard. Generally, there are farmer's markets downtown on Wednesday and Saturday, in Oak Ridge on Saturday and on Tuesday's at the Seventh Day Adventist church parking lot near downtown.
There's also a Super Target in Turkey Creek. They carry a lot of things a store like Trader Joe's does. We also have a lot more ethnic markets than you would expect and some very good ethnic and vegetarian restaurants.
Thanks a bunch for the websites, knoxgarden. I thought that these were local based stores, but checking the websites I see that they are both in several states. AND, they give good driving directions for me!!

It looks like The Fresh Market is going to be the best shopping spot for me. Cannot wait to check it out later in the week. Thanks for that info.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
I believe that Earth Fare discussion was on the Costco's Coming thread, but I could be mistaken. I'll check and if I'm wrong, I'll come back and edit. You've probably found it by now, anyway. We discussed Earth Fare in all its glory.

But hiknapster's witty observations are right on point about the whole shebang. Yep, pretty much SOP here on the TN thread.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
And check out Spiceorium (5901 Chapman Hwy, Suite A) in South Knoxville.
They sell spices and teas. Started by a couple who moved here last year from Florida. They carry the usual plus a lot of specialty spices and will sell you just the quantity you need for a recipe.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I'm witty but braindead.

Apparently it's on the Costco thread.

Same action. Different thread.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
I'm braindead these days, too. And tired. And not so witty. I'm blaming it all on SmokyMtnGal's mercury in retrograde thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville