Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times

Advertisements

My husband, since we have been together, has been going on and on about Knoxville. He has family there, his mother is buried there, and it's where he wants to be. We are in Houston, both of us are essentially from here, having moved around for his job to Tuscaloosa, AL and Laramie, WY. Now, it's July in Houston and we are absolutely miserable----I hate the heat here!
In any case, he put in for a transfer and a promotion with his employer, and they happen to have a site in Knoxville. We found out today that he is one of 3 they are considering...needless to say he is beside himself.

We are a family of 6, 4 kids. A good school system is a must, but not anything TOO big. We are in a town of about 12,000 right now, a 3A school system. The schools are ok, not great, and leave a lot to be desired, but the kids are pretty happy. In the past, when my husband visited he really liked Maryville. However, I'm wondering more about West Knoxville and even Oak Ridge. We wouldn't like a huge commute...right now his commute is about 37 miles, an hour at least one way in Houston traffic. I know I'm talking like he has the job, but it's good to kind of know what we would be getting into.

I know the company would pay for our initial visits there, but in looking for houses (to rent at first), where would you recommend for a family that is pretty active, likes to spend time outdoors, has 3 children in sports, and would like to be in a family environment. I love trees...I would love to be in a treed area. I am not super picky about newer homes....I do really love old home charm. And I would LOVE a basement! Yes, a basement!

What would y'all suggest? I'm open to hear it all!
Oh, and can we get good Mexican food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times
I like the Mexican food here. It's better than what I had when I lived in NYC.

Oak Ridge, Maryville and West Knoxville are going to have good schools. Those are great choices. It depends if you want to be in a suburb or in Knoxville. Also, when you visit the places it depends if you feel it's a good fit... you like how it feels, looks, etc. Commutes in the Knoxville metro are usually bearable since the traffic here is pretty good unless there's an accident.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I come from a town about the size of where you are living now and prefer living in Knoxville, mostly due to the proximity of everything and the very good schools.

Anyway, whereabouts is the job going to be? That's going to be very important.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM

The job is west of Knoxville, but still in Knoxville proper.
I do like being close to a "downtown" so to speak. I grew up in suburbs, and while they have good amenities, I like "city life". Finding a good balance between the amenities of a downtown life and a family style setting is difficult where we are, which is why we are in a town outside of Houston....and I don't love it.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
The job is west of Knoxville, but still in Knoxville proper.
I do like being close to a "downtown" so to speak. I grew up in suburbs, and while they have good amenities, I like "city life". Finding a good balance between the amenities of a downtown life and a family style setting is difficult where we are, which is why we are in a town outside of Houston....and I don't love it.
Look in Bearden. It's in-between downtown and West Knoxville. Honestly though, West Knoxville is awesome, too and about 10 to 15 minutes from downtown. Anywhere on the westside will work. It's a bit more expensive over here, though, because it is highly preferable.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM

45 posts, read 104,970 times
The Mexican food is going to be different than what you are used to in Texas. To be very honest, the best we have found so far is from a food truck that we see on Kingston occasionally. I am not being negative, but good Mexican is something we got used to in AZ and NM and we haven't found anything like that here.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
The Mexican food is going to be different than what you are used to in Texas. To be very honest, the best we have found so far is from a food truck that we see on Kingston occasionally. I am not being negative, but good Mexican is something we got used to in AZ and NM and we haven't found anything like that here.
That's correct. I use to live in Florida and it is harder to find authentic Mexican around here. The food truck is an excellent option but there are others.

A Knoxville Taqueria Tour » Metro Pulse

Local restaurants that are considered some of the best such as Chez Guevara and Monterrey I did not like at all.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You might like Maryville because it is a real little city - but the commute will be much longer. It's good that the employer pays for a visit.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM

394 posts, read 794,683 times
You will find commuting a whole lot easier around Knoxville than Houston.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Living in Houston, we have been spoiled with incredible eats, particularly Mexican food. It's one cuisine I haven't mastered cooking yet. I could learn to cook it better!

The notion of a better climate really appeals to me, as I absolutely loathe Houston for about 6 months out of the year. The heat and humidity is just awful, and as I get older the less tolerant I am of the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville