Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Yes, how does that supposed, and claimed, encounter take place if it wasn't really instigated by the one who asked the question about alleged religious fanatics?
That's right. At first I thought the posts were written by two different people.

Quote:
Are there a lot of religion fanatics in TN?

I'm planning on moving there from Chicago. I'm a more spiritual type of person. Would this be an issue? And how hard is it to find a decent job ?
Sounds like someone that's never been to Knoxville, is truly just at the inquiry stage.

But then we have this, posted the next day.

Quote:
I've visited Knoxville for three days and had a weird encounter with a religion fanatic .... This lady threatened me just because I told her I was a none believer . Got kicked out of a motel , and no I was not doing anything bad. I'm not saying that TN might not be the only state with fanatics but some states have more or less...don't get me wrong .
I'm sorry but I can't imagine any motel kicking out a paying customer because they are a non-believer - or none believer, for that matter! It's not legal, an owner wants the business and a "worker" doesn't have the right.

By the way, the same person keeps saying that they only make friends with transplants. When you have a bad attitude about a place and its people, it doesn't help. People make friends from neighbors, co-workers, school, hobbies, church, clubs. When you join meetups for transplants, you are going to have the majority or all of your friends be transplants, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
You can tell the religious fanatics in Tennessee by how they are dressed. Usually they are barefoot and wearing coonskin hats.

Please forgive me.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
A spiritual type of person is someone who has beliefs about the afterlife but does not belong/fit into an organized religion. They may share beliefs of multiple religions.....
If I worship a single God and attend a mainstream religion's church can I still correctly refer to myself as spiritual?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM

283 posts, read 900,583 times
I think that people in TN tend to be more.. sincere, for lack of a better word about their religion. We lived in SC for a while, and I always got the somewhat creepy feeling that people tended to be more shallow about it. Like, it was the thing to say, but they weren't really deeply religious? Sanctimonious, is the term I always felt applied to them.

Anyways, since being in the Knoxville area, I have occasionally seen a small group of men 'witnessing' at the corner of Maynardville Pike & Cunningham Rd. Not often, but occasionally. Once or twice, I've been asked if I have a church yet when I've told someone I'm new to the area. Not pushy at all, just more like they would invite me to their church if I wanted.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:42 AM

345 posts, read 922,502 times
Here's my 2 cents, being that I'm an "damn Yankee" East Tennessean now.

I originally come from an area where the Jehovah's Witnesses monthly go door to door in a neighborhood. Even if you ask them to cease. I routinely would get notes on my door or postcards from a large Baptist Church. I got flyers stuck to my mailbox from a Catholic Church who was having a festival. Never was confronted in public though, not counting the time at the airport to pick up my Dad.

Here in East TN., I have yet to see one Jehovah's Witness and I do get the postcards from a Church here in Sevierville, every once in a blue moon. That's it.

I regularly attend Church here; it's a Christian Church, non-denominational. I love it but that's because I love God. I also have friends who are all denominations, and several who are atheist. I respect them, and love them, all for who they are, not what they choose to believe or not believe. God loves us all for who we are, whether we choose to acknowledge Him or not.

In all my years I have not once heard of a person being confronted for their non-belief. People here usually just say "bless your heart" when they think you are out there or wrong anyhow.

I've been here almost 7 years...never came across one religious fanatic...whatever that would be. And I live in a high tourism area, and encounter residents and non-residents on a daily basis.

People here are just friendly and smile alot. Which I still to this day absolutely love....

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
The South gets a "bad rap" in terms of religious people getting in your personal space, at least as stereotyped up north. Ill let you know my TN experience when I visit in a few weeks.

The irony is, I can't imagine it being worse than...wait for it....NYC. Yes, the most in-your-face, annoying place I have ever been for solicitation of all types, especially religion. For example, did you know Jesus was a Black Rastafarian? Did you know He is an alien from another planet? a Protestant? a spaghetti monster disguised in human form in order to join the Illuminati so he can manipulate mankind? Yup. He was all those things simultaneously (for the most part--alien theory may have predated more traditional timelines) and you will find out about all of them in 10 city blocks. ugh.

My point is that I think it's more about specific locations than geographical regions. The Bible belt might have a lot more religious people, but that doesn't mean they are obnoxious, weird, trying to convert you or make you believe that whatever spirit you believe in is actually an under represented minority trying to save the race. lol. Don't sweat it too much.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 03-13-2014 at 08:09 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The South gets a "bad rap" in terms of religious people getting in your personal space. Ill let you know my TN experience when I visit in a few weeks.

That being said, I can't imagine it being worse than...wait for it....NYC. Yes, the most in-your-face, annoying place I have ever been for solicitation of all types, especially religion. For example, did you know Jesus was a Black Rastafarian? Did you know He is an alien from another planet? a Protestant? a spaghetti monster disguised in human form in order to join the Illuminati so he can manipulate mankind? Yup. He was all those things simultaneously (for the most part--alien theory may have predated more traditional timelines) and you will find out about all of them in 10 city blocks. ugh.

My point is that I think it's more about specific locations than geographical regions. The Bible belt might have a lot more religious people, but that doesn't mean they are obnoxious, weird, trying to convert you or make you believe that whatever spirit you believe in is actually an under represented minority trying to save the race. lol. Don't sweat it too much.
You're not even here yet you already have this great attitude? I can tell you that you will spectacularly fit in!

SassyKat, yes there is occasionally someone over there in the Halls area. Halls tends to run a bit differently than a lot of Knoxville. Speaking of which, where you live - Cumberland County, I think? - I'd expect invitations to church. Not there is anything wrong with that but some of the more rural areas are that way.

However, this weekend I actually saw some guy and a friend down at Market Square preaching with a bullhorn. He had it turned way down and I wondered if that was because of the cops. Everyone was completely ignoring him. In fact, he had about 20 feet of space around him and the place was busy. No one was going near him. He had a sign that said, "Repent." It freaked my 13-year-old out.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The South gets a "bad rap" in terms of religious people getting in your personal space, at least as stereotyped up north. Ill let you know my TN experience when I visit in a few weeks.

The irony is, I can't imagine it being worse than...wait for it....NYC. Yes, the most in-your-face, annoying place I have ever been for solicitation of all types, especially religion. For example, did you know Jesus was a Black Rastafarian? Did you know He is an alien from another planet? a Protestant? a spaghetti monster disguised in human form in order to join the Illuminati so he can manipulate mankind? Yup. He was all those things simultaneously (for the most part--alien theory may have predated more traditional timelines) and you will find out about all of them in 10 city blocks. ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You're not even here yet you already have this great attitude? I can tell you that you will spectacularly fit in!
For the record, I meant what I said, and not in a sarcastic way. How my comment could be taken as derogatory is beyond me. I thought the post was fabulous. However, the personal message that I got was appalling. It reminds me of the nasty note I got after I asked someone if they brought the cold weather with them. This was after welcoming the New Yorker to our area and also spending time answering detailed questions.

It occurs to me that I hope this area isn't attracting uptight people. That would really be a shame.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
I just asked if you were being sarcastic. I did so privately so as not to make a big deal of it either way. Appalling?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM

95 posts, read 178,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
For the record, I meant what I said, and not in a sarcastic way. How my comment could be taken as derogatory is beyond me. I thought the post was fabulous. However, the personal message that I got was appalling. It reminds me of the nasty note I got after I asked someone if they brought the cold weather with them. This was after welcoming the New Yorker to our area and also spending time answering detailed questions.

It occurs to me that I hope this area isn't attracting uptight people. That would really be a shame.
What occurs to me is that conflict follows you. Every thread you post in results in conflict with another member. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville