Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times

Advertisements

I will just point out that in Canada, and I mean the entire country, from coast to coast , no one can smoke in any "work place " and obviously that includes bars and places that serve food. So, if a person is being paid to "be there " its a no smoking place. No exceptions.

Now , wasn't that simple. ? In Canada, less than 15 percent of the population smokes, so that also means that 85 percent of the populations does NOT smoke. Majority rules, right ?

Leaving it up to a business owner is dumb thinking. What about the employees who work there ? Are they not entitled to a smoke free work place ?

Jim B.

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
bluecoupe, read the two passages I pointed out. You are gushing about New York, a place that you LOVE, except for those darn taxes.

Then you explain away government sticking its nose into businesses as "common sense." Typical carbetbagger attitude. Like I said, try North Carolina. I think it will suit you.

Canadian Citizen, are you planning on moving to Knoxville? If you are, I'm here to tell you that Tennessee is very different from Canada and I know a little bit about that. Half my family is from Canada as my grandmother was a Canadian citizen.

If you aren't well, why the comment?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
I really didn't intend to have a debate but I'll give you a similar situation.

If someone is smoking, they are hurting themselves, that's a fact. And if they choose to do that to themselves I couldn't care less. However, if they do that in proximity to me then it hurts ME. That I DO care about. If it takes the government to protect me from them, then so be it.

Now, let's look at a parallel behavior:

You want to sit in a bar and drink yourself to death - I couldn't care less. But I DO care if after drinking all of that you get into a car and take to the roads and endanger ME. That's endangering someone other than yourself and I believe DUI is illegal in all 50 as protection by the government.

Same scenarios. You want to hurt yourself - have a ball. You want to hurt or endanger others - that's where the issue of common sense comes into play.

If everyone in Tennessee quickly reverts to name calling and arrogance as you, then maybe you're right, it's not worth investigating.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
There are plenty of smoke free places to go to have a drink and watch sports on TV.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the heads up Barking Spider. Good to know and the civil reply is appreciated.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I've lived in Florida as well as Tennessee and the worse thing that anyone can do is tell folks how things were done where they come from - and why - ad nauseum.

When in Rome....or don't come at all.

Regarding the many smoke-free places, you were told that on page one, long before the meltdown. As I said, it didn't take you long to go from "NY would be a great place to live" minus the taxes, to bandying around terms like "dealbreaker" and "NY actually got something right!" It took three days!

As I said in the beginning, people that move only for monetary reasons tend to move away being quite disillusioned. Tennessee is a different way of life and I bet there are going to be a lot of things that you will have "assumed" (your word) that won't be the case.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM

Let's just agree to ignore each other and move on ok? You obviously don't comprehend sarcasm and are an extremely intolerant individual who seems to be totally disinterested in actually engaging in helpful interaction but rather more interested in being argumentative. That kind of person I don't need, moderator or not. I suspect this post won't remain long on the board as I suspect with your attitude, you're probably an active censor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville