Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newport Or Dandridge Tennessee, VIEWS?????
Newport 2 33.33%
Dandridge 4 66.67%
stay in Minnesota 0 0%
hold out and wait for something in our price range to open up in Gatlinburg area 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 PM

74 posts, read 220,847 times

Advertisements

We have an oportunity to purchase a home in two different areas of eastern Tennessee, Newport or Dandridge. We are about the view and an easy drive to Gatlinburg to work, any advise from someone who lives there would be great, sthepoet@hotmail.com, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
I vote Newport because i just bought land 5 miles from there but it depends where in Newport. Dandridge is ok but a bit tiny for me. Newport had more shopping options though it was still a small town.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthepoet View Post
We have an oportunity to purchase a home in two different areas of eastern Tennessee, Newport or Dandridge. We are about the view and an easy drive to Gatlinburg to work, any advise from someone who lives there would be great, sthepoet@hotmail.com, thanks!!
Since one of the options is to hold out for something in your price range in Gatlinburg, does that mean the properties you're looking at are too expensive?

And how can we decide which property has the better view if you don't provide pics?

Or do you want us to vote strictly on what we think of the towns of Dandridge and Newport?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM

74 posts, read 220,847 times
wanted people from the area to vote,not familier with Dandridge or Newport. Have been to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg areas when we were there, homes in those areas are way out of our price range. We really liked the Jones cove and Cosby areas, but nothing that can be owner financed, unless someone from the area knows of a deal?? It is hard to find a lot of information online about the 2 areas, so very interested in what people from there have to say. If anyone knows someone doing owner financing in the Jones cove or Cosby areas, please do let me know though. sthepoet@hotmail.com

Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM

It's hard to find info on Cosby because there isn't much there to give info about. You'd have to drive to Newport for any stores or even gas. We considered buying some property in Cosby but to me, that was kind of the run down part of Cocke county. We were looking at unrestricted land to buy and we got pretty scared ourselves seeing what some places were like that people were living in. Seriously, we took some back roads to explore and i just wanted to get out of there. I'd really advise anyone to take a ride around the area first and check it out in person especially if your going off the beaten path that far. Don't know much about Jones Cove other than taking the tour drive through there.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM

93 posts, read 310,201 times
You're pretty brave to live anywhere around there. Lots of pot farms, meth and guns. Snake handlers, cockfighters, dogfighters, you name it, it's got it all. Not just Cocke county though, all of east TN has it. If you're into that it will be like nirvana.

Realtors will tell you its isolated or not much of a problem anymore, lol. That's what they told us. Drive around, do some research. You'll see what I mean.

We had friends that moved into that area, had several acres and nice house. They were mostly isolated but still had people coming on their property all the time. They moved after a couple years of it.

Good luck and take care.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 25,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthepoet View Post
I grew up in Cosby, Newport is the County seat.....not much to do there...you will probably be happier in Dandridge if you like the malls etc as you will have to go to Knoxville for major events and shopping...any questions feel free to ask....

Old 07-28-2007, 06:22 PM

Newport and Dandridge are both smalll stay out of the Beaten path in Cosby..they dont take to "ferriners"!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:24 PM

You DO not want to live in Gatlinburg...summer traffic is not fun to fight to get to or from home....we now live in Sevier Co..and have to watch the times we go into Sevierville/ P Forge due to the traffiic!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 PM

i grew up in a small town very similar to Cosby as far as "recreational" activities. They were called Mountaineers where i came from. It's easy to get caught up in it if your young. Thankfully, i steered away from getting involved in it but in knew what was going on.

I've learned growing up and having to deal with these kind of people that if you just stay out of their business, and not be nosey, not go into their "territory", not be a tattle tale then nobody will bother you. yes, its not something you would choose to live with which is why it's important to check out the surroundings first.

There are some nice subdivisions I found in Newport and with the restrictions they had which were very reasonable, at least you can guarantee your neighborhood will be kept looking nice and hopefully have good neighbors but you know, even someone living in a big fancy home can be a crooked person too. you just don't know. It happens all the time here in Tampa. Pot growing homes are becoming very common down here lately as it's on the news all the time and it's funny to hear the neighbors get interviewed. They had no idea what was going on in that big home next door yet they're only 100' away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville