Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 PM

87 posts, read 117,566 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We may be moving to the area for work in Oak Ridge. We're in our early 50s, professional and lived throughout the country and several international locations. Never experienced issues with my husband being black and me white even while visiting Tennessee. We currently live in Houston after returning from Mumbai and South Africa.

I'd like honest opinions of what we may expect, please...you won't hurt my feelers. I always ask when we take off on a new adventure.

Also is there a particular neighborhood in Knoxville that is quaint, funky with bungalows with an easy commute to OR? What about small country towns with a nice little vibe? We like to be part of the community and know our neighbors.

Suggestions and comments appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
I'll give you a mixed answer from another guy in a mixed 50s couple (but reversed: I'm a white guy and my wife is an African-American). We never lived in the Knoxville Area but used to travel there when my uncle was alive who did live there. Knoxville is a great sized (not too big, not too small) reasonably liberal (for the south) college town and we never were treated badly or even snickered at in Knoxville itself. However, heading towards the Blue Ridge east into the Country & Western theater towns and little villages in any direction once you get 20 or 30 miles outside of Knoxville you start to see Confederate Flags everywhere and it does get a little creepy. Never really accosted but have seen some sneers and snickers under folks breath. I'd like to think it's just because we are just such a strikingly handsome (me) and pretty (the Mrs) couple and a bit unusual for little country towns where people know everybody back 3 generations of the same family. More likely it's because I'm a big ole boy 6'5" and the wife is a sturdily-built 6-footer and former college basketball center - they might not really want us coming around their neck of the woods but we look like we might inflict too much pain for them to try too hard to rile us! :-)

In summary, I really think the Knoxville area is beautiful and at least the city can be seen as a reasonably liberal enclave where you won't have any problems. I'd buy a house near the university though. One way to think of it - with your South African experience (visited there too from my mid-East oil assignment) - you probably had time when the shoe was on the other foot and you'all were passing through an all black township and the husband felt fine but you felt a million eyes on you. Maybe you never had any problems but you just felt kind of unconfortable like you had a third eye growning out of your forehead. Well, that's the way your husband might feel going into some of the little country towns of eastern Tenn and western NC. I wouldn't say forget about taking the job... you'all should go but not if your real sensitive to minor slights. I think you'll really love Nashville and the beautiful mountains,valleys, rivers and lakes. Be aware that it's a much smaller metro, much less diverse (more just Whites, Blacks, growing but small Hispanic, and very few of the Middle Eastern, Indo-Paki, East Asian large communities so common in Houston), no professional sports except minor league baseball, fewer big-name concerts, etc. Much much better outdoor opportunites for hiking, photography, canoing, etc. Just ignore the readnecks and don't egg them on too much. With all your expat assignment duty I'm sure you are aware of ways of trying to blend in and let the locals be themselves even if it's a bit objectionable.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:36 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Neighborhoods near downtown Knoxville with bungalows and active organizations are 4th & Gill, Parkridge, Island home Park and to a certain extent Old North Knoxville. I don't consider any of them an easy commute to Oak Ridge, but coming from Houston you might think differently. You can do a search here for more info and opinions.

Fountain City is a little farther north from downtown and has some bungalows as well. The houses are more spread out, You can look up Fountain city town hall to see how active it is.

My first reaction is the Westwood neighborhood off Sutherland. Houses are newer than bungalows but still quaint. It is close to the Papermill drive exit and may have the best commute of any of the older neighborhoods.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
A good commute to Oak Ridge? well have you thought about living in Oak Ridge??? Nice town. Also if you do want to be in Knoxville itself then the best area for your commute would be West Knoxville, Farragut, Hardin Valley area. As far as your concern about being an interracial couple, no I don't think anyone would bother you. Now I disagree that Knoxville is a liberal area, in fact it is often cited as a conservative southern city. Now the city itself has a liberal mayor, and of course the college area has liberals, but the suburban areas and Knox county in general are very conservative. Also the entire area is very Christian, and when it comes to social values it is quite conservative. Make no mistake, this is red state America. What there is not here though is any significant race issues, so I honestly think no one will pay attention to the fact that you are an interracial couple. However you wont find a whole lot of fussing about multiculturalism and diversity like you do in a true liberal area. This is not a racist area, but its also not a PC one. This is my opinion and others may disagree with my take on it, but that is my two cents. Good luck on your move.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:23 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
daniel said..." but the suburban areas and Knox county in general are very conservative. "

I'm curious what you base this opinion on. I've lived here 20 years, and maybe I just don't know how to recognize conservative or liberal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville