Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,253 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is considering a move to Knoxville. I am originally from CA, but spent a lot of time living in CO, and VA. My hubby is from upstate NY. We have been living on the west coast of Florida for 7 years. We couldn't hate it more. So, we are heavily considering the Knoxville area. We are mid 30's, with three kids, 15, 8, and 3. We homeschool, so being near good schools isn't an issue. I'm a Registerd Nurse, so I'd like to be near decent medical facilities. My husband's job isn't dependent on location. We would like some acreage, but still be able to drive to downtown Knoxville within 30-40 min tops. We are very outdoorsy. We like to bike, hike, and explore. My oldest son is into engineering, so is like to be able to have opportunities for him to advance in that area. All that said, is like to know which areas around Knoxville would be a good fit. I'd also like a general comparison of East vs North vs West vs South of Knoxville. Thank you very much for your help. We will be up that way at the end of this month to start scouting things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
So much is dependent on your budget and what fits your needs. Your scouting trip should give you a good idea of what areas might be a good fit. 30 - 40 minutes to downtown can be way out in some directions (going up I-75 north of downtown could get you a long way), not so far going west on I-40.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,253 times
I just don't want to be in a run down area with crime. Or next to some trash dump, hazardous waste area, etc...

Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 PM

You will find crime in all areas. Criminals do not care about zip codes. That said, there are really very few "bad" areas in Knoxville. While there are areas I find sketchy, others here may say there isn't a problem. I once did an inspection for a daughter of a good friend that moved into an area near downtown, that I was very concerned about. She lived there 3 years and had great neighbors, and never had a problem. I wouldn't live there, but she loved it.

Honestly, I have no idea where the trash dumps are located in Knox County. As far as I know, we do not have hazardous waste dumps either.

When you visit, you will get a good idea of "good" and "bad" areas just by driving around.

Just like any other place, the lower the cost of the homes, will generally mean a lower quality neighborhood. That probably didn't sound right (like I meant it), but the reality is the sketchier areas are not in the higher dollar neighborhoods.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreak1 View Post
Hello, my family is considering a move to Knoxville. I am originally from CA, but spent a lot of time living in CO, and VA. My hubby is from upstate NY. We have been living on the west coast of Florida for 7 years. We couldn't hate it more. So, we are heavily considering the Knoxville area. We are mid 30's, with three kids, 15, 8, and 3. We homeschool, so being near good schools isn't an issue. I'm a Registerd Nurse, so I'd like to be near decent medical facilities. My husband's job isn't dependent on location. We would like some acreage, but still be able to drive to downtown Knoxville within 30-40 min tops. We are very outdoorsy. We like to bike, hike, and explore. My oldest son is into engineering, so is like to be able to have opportunities for him to advance in that area. All that said, is like to know which areas around Knoxville would be a good fit. I'd also like a general comparison of East vs North vs West vs South of Knoxville. Thank you very much for your help. We will be up that way at the end of this month to start scouting things out.
We chose south of Knoxville, in Seymour. A rural community about 20 minutes from Knoxville, Maryville and Sevierville/PigeonForge, Less traffic, low property taxes (Sevier County and close to the places you will want to go and a bit laid back.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:10 PM

388 posts, read 536,254 times
Not to try to hijack this thread.. but had similar questions... With a budget of about 200k.
We also want acreage (many acres if possible.)

Also coming from the west coast of Florida (Tampa) originally from Miami.
Can't wait to leave and actually have seasons.

We also are looking for someplace 30... max of 45 minutes from UT

ExpatCA.. do the same places you mention fall under my conditions.. or if anyone else has any input, it would be very appreciated.

EDIT: I'll add that I'm perfectly OK with foreclosed/fixer-uppers
But at least a decent communities (not trashy, run-down, etc)

Old 09-05-2015, 07:12 AM

200K budget you could buy a place with some acres, but probably would have to give up some of your criteria. What I mean is, the closer to Knoxville, or the closer to water, the prices will be higher. The type of house on the property will also have a bearing on the price. Property with a mobile home on it will be priced lower than one with a stick built home. Hilly property will be priced lower that flatter property. You might find a low priced place, but it could be located in an area that you consider trashy or run down.
You might want to contact a Realtor in the area and have them do a search for you.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Not to try to hijack this thread.. but had similar questions... With a budget of about 200k.
We also want acreage (many acres if possible.)

Also coming from the west coast of Florida (Tampa) originally from Miami.
Can't wait to leave and actually have seasons.

We also are looking for someplace 30... max of 45 minutes from UT

ExpatCA.. do the same places you mention fall under my conditions.. or if anyone else has any input, it would be very appreciated.

EDIT: I'll add that I'm perfectly OK with foreclosed/fixer-uppers
But at least a decent communities (not trashy, run-down, etc)
Hi,

There are several which do. I can help you to some extent.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:10 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Recent survey showed that the city of Loudon had the lowest crime rate in TN for small cities. The county is pretty low crime too, even though it includes Lenoir City which has a little more crime than Loudon. We're about 35 minutes from UT. I would look around Maryville, Seymour, Oak Ridge, and Alcoa too.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,242 times
I really like Loudon County, but if schools are an issue, look elsewhere. Drugs and one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates are both issues. Also- you won't be getting to UT in 30-45 minutes. Seymour would make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville