Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Knoxville area in 1-2 yrs (depends on when we can sell our house). What areas should we concentrate on? I heard that Fountain city and West Knox is nice. Any other suggestions? We are in our 60's. We want a safe area, clean area. We want to be near shopping and restaurants. Greenways and things to see and do. We can't live smack in the mid of Knoxville because we have 6 dogs and we don't want a condo. But a nice suburban area with maybe 1/2- 1 ac lots so we can have a garden. I would like to be able to walk everywhere but I know that may not be possible unless we live in a condo smack in the middle of the city. Anything out there that sounds good for us? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,388 times
I don't know your budget, but there are actually parts of Oak Ridge that are close to your wish list.

In Knoxville, you might look at listings in the West Hills and Bearden areas and see if that looks interesting to you. It's not entirely walkable, but it is more walkable than much of Knoxville. Fountain City is also worth exploring.

If you are interested in more rural living, 5-10 minutes outside of downtown Maryville might be interesting for properties with a bit more space But it is not walkable!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
I would like to be able to walk everywhere but I know that may not be possible unless we live in a condo smack in the middle of the city
Have you ever even visited Knoxville? Do you recall who gave you this idea? Was it a realtor trying to sell you a high priced downtown condo?

Now the 6 dogs may be an issue, you should research whether there is a 4 pet limit within the city.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 AM

394 posts, read 794,683 times
I believe the dog limit is 5 in Knox county. Enforcement would be the issue I would think. If neighbors don't complain how would they know?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 AM

I would like to stay under $150K for a house but can go higher for the "perfect" house. We are aware the dogs may be a problem. We have some old ones- 10 to 14 yrs (and large breeds). Not wishing them dead but by the time we are ready to move...who knows.

We are hoping for a road trip around Christmas/ New Years to look around (that is when we can get our house sitters).

I would like to be as walkable as possible, but not necessary. We like in the middle of nowhere now. About 25 miles round trip now to go grocery shopping, a little farther for a walmart. But would now like a little more activity than we have now.

thanks for your answers.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:39 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
West hills and Crestwood hills fit your requirements except for price. But they are of an age where an original owner has passed on and you might find one that needs a lot of updating. The question is how you'd go about getting to those before the flippers, especially from afar.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville