Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM

21 posts, read 21,252 times

Advertisements

I want and hope to relocate to Tennessee by June. I want to relocate to Tennessee permanently but I want to be as close to Dollywood as possible. I want to buy season pass to Dollywood and try to apply for a job there. Anyways, I don't know anything at all about Sevierville. Can anyone tell me more about it? I mean what is it like? Are there public transportations, walmarts? How do I even get into Sevierville if I'm coming by greyhound? Would I have to go to Knoxville first? What about Knoxville? what is it like there? How about Pigeon Forge? How about Maryville - is it part of Knxoville? what other cities/towns neighbor and close enough to Dollywood? Thank you for your time and help.

Last edited by natntx; 01-21-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Default Sevierville

Nat I think Sevierville is the best choice for you. There is a great system of free trolleys and a walmart. The trolleys go to Gatlinburg and Dollywood.

I absolutely cringed when someone suggested you take ETHRA to Dollywood. Not only were they encouraging someone on public assistance to relocate to our state they thought nothing of referring them to a high cost service.

But if you feel you would be able to handle a job in the tourist industry I am all in favor of a step to getting off public assistance. The downside is housing will be difficult to come by and you will most certainly be in a roommate situation if you are living on minimum wage. The good news is you wont have or need car expense. No advice to offer on a housing search except be sure to be near a trolley line.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natntx View Post
I want and hope to relocate to Tennessee by June. I want to relocate to Tennessee permanently but I want to be as close to Dollywood as possible. I want to buy season pass to Dollywood and try to apply for a job there. Anyways, I don't know anything at all about Sevierville. Can anyone tell me more about it? I mean what is it like? Are there public transportations, walmarts? How do I even get into Sevierville if I'm coming by greyhound? Would I have to go to Knoxville first? What about Knoxville? what is it like there? How about Pigeon Forge? How about Maryville - is it part of Knxoville? what other cities/towns neighbor and close enough to Dollywood? Thank you for your time and help.
Everything is good for you except the tourist traffic. You MUST learn the back roads or it can take an hour to go a few miles in Sevierville and PigeonForge.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 15,913 times
Jayell Road will become your best friend if you plan on spending lots of time at Dollywood. There are job fairs pretty frequently in the area and you can always check Indeed or just call places in the area and see who is looking for new hires. If you are interested in the hospitality industry, I would recommend trying at DreamMore for a job. As far as housing goes, there's normally something always available in the Pittman Center/Old Newport Hwy area. Would you consider starting out with an apartment and then house searching once you got here?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 21,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtz23 View Post
Jayell Road will become your best friend if you plan on spending lots of time at Dollywood. There are job fairs pretty frequently in the area and you can always check Indeed or just call places in the area and see who is looking for new hires. If you are interested in the hospitality industry, I would recommend trying at DreamMore for a job. As far as housing goes, there's normally something always available in the Pittman Center/Old Newport Hwy area. Would you consider starting out with an apartment and then house searching once you got here?
Thank You so much for your help. it's greatly appreciated. After years of bad luck and forced to depend on SSI for my disabilities, I finally got a job but the job is no fun because I am forced to be a dining room attendant, not learning any real skills like cashier etc.. I work at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I am trying to get this problem solved so I can be moved elsewhere in the park and learn some real skills. I am thinking of looking for either another job or a second job where I can actually learn something. I am still planning to move as close as possible to Dollywood and apply when I can. I am making plans to hopefully visit the area and Dollywood in April and become familiar with the area. I would love to live in an apt. first but I got three cats and dogs but I might have to leave them with trusted relatives for awhile. I don't have enough money for everything (moving truck, first months rent and down payment on a house, and all that.). but anyway, I think I will try to get an interview and hopefully land a job @ Dollywood. I'd love to work there in the summer. I hope to get enough skills then so by then I'd have a second job to fall back on when Dollywood is closed for the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville