Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM

1,665 posts, read 979,518 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My wife and I are planning on moving to East Tennessee. I know there's many blogs about information, but most I have came across are older and not to recent. A little about what we are looking for. We want a place out in country, as we're tired of city living, but not too far from a town or city in which we could find employment. We pretty much keep to ourselves and look for no trouble. I'm a full time firefighter and she works in a elderly home. We plan on keeping some small farm animals, chicken, goat, and sheep, and also into apiary (bees). We also are interested in community functions, like farmers markets and festivals. That way we could buy and possibly sell on a localized basis. We love the mountains, where we live it's flat. Very humid summer's and not much of a fall or winter season. I have researched Maryville and surrounding areas. Do the residents welcome out of staters? How is the drug/crime scene? We used to have to lock everything so it wouldn't grow legs and walk off. We just want to enjoy our lives together, start somewhere new and fresh. We recently was in Sevier County and loved it, minus the tourist traps. Yea, it was fun and all but we're more into outdoor activities, such as fishing, hiking, camping etc. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance....

Last edited by DeanGuitarist; 05-13-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 01:20 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,615,283 times
In your situation you should find a job first, then ask about communities close to your job. It may be a requirement that you reside in the city that hires you.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Thank you Creeksitter

Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,829,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
In your situation you should find a job first, then ask about communities close to your job. It may be a requirement that you reside in the city that hires you.

This is good advice. Once a job is nailed down the OP will find that it is not hard to find the kind of rural living he/she is looking for. Blount county, Roane County, Loudon County and Anderson County all offer rural living but still close enough to the city for employment.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Thank you all. Finding a job won't be too much of an issue right away. We are looking to buy out a place and have enough funds for utilities for a few months. But, even so...I'm looking online for jobs as we speak to put our foot in door. Already contacted a few fire departments as a volunteer until there is an opening for full time and also get Tennessee certified. Thanks again

Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM

24 posts, read 58,180 times
I don't know if this is "up your alley" but the original post made me think of http://www.localharvest.org/csa/. One of the best groups in this area is Good Earth Farmers aka Garden Delivery. These folks have a helpful attitude, and striking up an e-mail correspondence might prove well worth your time, because whether or not you are interested in organic farming, they keep current with all the news about Farmers Markets and network with many farmers.

Last edited by adanVdo; 08-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: to correctf link

Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 AM

Thank you! I have signed up. Yes indeed we plan on making our own garden as well. We're looking to be more self reliant as well as selling/buying in local farmers markets.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,358,380 times
I used to live in Maryville and I don't remember seeing any farm animals but i was in town most of the time.

To answer your other question about outsiders, I moved there from another state. They had strong southern accents and I do not. They ragged me sometimes on how we had different pronounciations of words but it was all in fun. Maryville accepted me and they have some of the nicest people I've ever met and I still have friends that live in the area. I miss it and hope to get back that way soon.

Here's a tip - The county of Maryville is Blount County. It is pronounced Blunt. Just a heads up, that was one of the words I was corrected on.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Thank you Song... We went earlier this year and checked out some places. Saw a few places we're interested in out of town. And some were open for animals. Yep on the "Blunt" pronunciation lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: