Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,047 times

Advertisements

We'll be in Hartford on the Pigeon this Saturday and rather than camp there overnight, we'd like to make a night of it in/around Knoxville. Can y'all help us out w/some suggestions?

We're looking for a B&B/inn, brewpub, live music, art/artisan studio tour, outdoor festival (if this heatwave breaks by then), etc.

Home is VA so downtown/eastern hinterlands are preferred over going farther west, but if that's where the fun is, that's where we'll go. Would love any suggestions for what to do and/or for good websites/facebook pages we should look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
https://www.facebook.com/downtownknoxville/

Highly recommend the Oliver for accommodations.

The Oliver Hotel

Be sure to have a drink in their speakeasy.

The Oliver Hotel

JC Holdway isn't quite open.

J.C. Holdway

But we are all abuzz about nationally acclaimed chef Tim Love's Lonesome Dove. I haven't come across anyone that didn't rave about it.

Homepage - Lonesome Dove Western Bistro - Knoxville, TN

Market Square Farmer's Market is a do not miss on Saturday.

Market Square Farmers' Market

Did you know that our breweries are quickly putting us on the map (along with our Urban Wilderness, of course!)? We have more than 12 now operating with several more planned.

Here is a list of some.

Knoxville Breweries & Restaurants

And here's one more.

Home

And a brew tour.

Knox Brew Tours

We have most of our festivals in April, May and parts of June. This is the dog days, my friend. Still, we always have things going on. This should give you a good idea.

The Downtown Knoxville Ten Day Planner (7/24 - 8/2/2016) | Inside of Knoxville

Finally, I would urge anyone coming to Knoxville to stop in at the Visitor's Center. Show up around noon and there will be a show going on, six days a week. It's presented by the world-famous WDVX. Pick up some gifts and tips for other things to do around town.

Visit Knoxville, TN Visitors Center

Much love from hiknapster and Knoxville!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
https://www.facebook.com/downtownknoxville/

Highly recommend the Oliver for accommodations.

The Oliver Hotel

Be sure to have a drink in their speakeasy.

The Oliver Hotel

JC Holdway isn't quite open.

J.C. Holdway

But we are all abuzz about nationally acclaimed chef Tim Love's Lonesome Dove. I haven't come across anyone that didn't rave about it.

Homepage - Lonesome Dove Western Bistro - Knoxville, TN

Market Square Farmer's Market is a do not miss on Saturday.

Market Square Farmers' Market

Did you know that our breweries are quickly putting us on the map (along with our Urban Wilderness, of course!)? We have more than 12 now operating with several more planned.

Here is a list of some.

Knoxville Breweries & Restaurants

And here's one more.

Home

And a brew tour.

Knox Brew Tours

We have most of our festivals in April, May and parts of June. This is the dog days, my friend. Still, we always have things going on. This should give you a good idea.

The Downtown Knoxville Ten Day Planner (7/24 - 8/2/2016) | Inside of Knoxville

Finally, I would urge anyone coming to Knoxville to stop in at the Visitor's Center. Show up around noon and there will be a show going on, six days a week. It's presented by the world-famous WDVX. Pick up some gifts and tips for other things to do around town.

Visit Knoxville, TN Visitors Center

Much love from hiknapster and Knoxville!

You are always a wealth of info for visitors. You should work for the visitors center or the chamber of commerce, you certainly know enough to do so.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You are always a wealth of info for visitors. You should work for the visitors center or the chamber of commerce, you certainly know enough to do so.
Thank you! I'm a journalist.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes, Hik is well read, energetic and very helpful.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Yes, Hik is well read, energetic and very helpful.

Aw shucks, you two!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM

696 posts, read 1,430,047 times
Thanks so much hiknapster! We arrived at 6 Saturday and left midday Sunday so were only able to squeeze in a few things. Here's what we did:

Airbnb in the Island Home neighborhood. Stopped for a pint and a game of super-jenga at the Trailhead Beer Market (pic). Wandered up and down Gay Street people-watching & trying to decide among the many options. We ended up at the French Market Creperies - very good!

Sunday started at the Sunsphere observation deck (hey, we're tourists! pic), then we were disappointed to find the recommended-by-several-people Plaid Apron was closed (a brunch place with no Sunday brunch?) but the Market Square more than made up for it (try the Mexican Morning cocktail at Cafe 4!). On our way back to the car we walked down a super-creative highly decorated alley (I am a fan of good graffiti - pic).

Finally we stopped in at River Sports Outfitters and wished we were millionaires. Had to hit the road so no time to explore the Urban Wilderness/Ijams Nature Center but it looks like an absolute gem.

Knoxville is a nice city. Not sure what it's like when the students are in town but I am sure we will be back again & spend a little more time there next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Knoxville-ish roadtrip this weekend-img_0539.jpg   Knoxville-ish roadtrip this weekend-img_0550.jpg   Knoxville-ish roadtrip this weekend-img_0557.jpg  

Old 08-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Thank you very much for reporting back to us!

I am so glad you enjoyed Knoxville. You really made some great choices, Island Home is a wonderful area to stay in, although I didn't realize there is an Air BnB there! Trailhead Beer Market? Why, yes! I also love Armstrong/Strong Alley. I've taken many photos in there. On a Sunday, I'd recommend brunch at Bistro at the Bijou. http://www.thebistroatthebijou.com/bistro-menu.pdf This summer, a LOT of the students stayed in Knoxville, so you got a taste of students being around, although they hang out on the Strip and in the Fort a lot.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM

377 posts, read 470,681 times
Thanks for sharing your experience, headnsouth. Glad you enjoyed. Next time, make it down to Maryville early (like 5-5:30pm) and grab a seat at the bar of Foothills Milling. That place is always booked but the bar is open seating and the food is 5-star good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville