Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM

160 posts, read 303,464 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a sub-forum for Gatlinburg so I figured I'd put this here. My question, I realize that Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are tourist hot spots. How bad is it? I usually come up once or twice a year to western NC mainly to just get away, do some hiking and take pictures. I use timeshare weeks for places to stay and this year I put in for a transfer a bit too late and might not be able to get a place in NC. Today one came open in Gatlinburg for October 23-30. I'm sure downtown will be busy, that's a given. But is the hiking really busy? I'd love to go hit some more trails in the Smokies, do some waterfall chasing, get some good shots and get away from it all. Is it usually overcrowded to the point where it's no longer enjoyable the last week of October? I've been to Gatlinburg, it's a great place. But usually when I come up during the fall I'm on the NC side of things and it's a little easier to find places to get away from it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Keep in mind the last week of October is right at peak color time for fall colors. The Smokies will be crowded.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 PM

True, I imagine the whole area is pretty crowded as well as most of western NC. I've been in western NC in mid-October before, a few times. I was just wondering if the crowd size is tolerable, or unbearable. I guess that's a tough question because everybody's idea of tolerable is different.

Last edited by JJFIVEOH; 08-30-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 8,292 times
Is there any color in late September or do the leaves change on into October? I would imagine with the heat this year, it will be a late fall?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM

You're not going to see much. If you get up into the really high elevations, above 5500, you might see some color. Seems like there is a very visible line at 5500 where the landscape completely changes.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Late September is too early. Mid October you will see color in the high elevations, but in order for there to be color in the valley it really is the first of November. Also the traffic mid October in Gatlinburg is beyond miserable, so I would try to visit during the week. The GSMNP will be overflowing with people on the leaf peeper weekends, and again that starts in mid October and goes through early November depending on elevation.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
It can take 15 minutes or more to go one mile in all that traffic. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg is even worse because it's only 2 lanes. Townsend would be better.

Daniel is dead on....peak is normally at Halloween, a week or so earlier in the higher elevations.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
The traffic isn't a show stopper. It isn't complete deadlock. The hiking is not that busy. Just come on down and enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM

147 posts, read 215,569 times
We got around fine when we went last October. We were too early for the foliage but even though there were lots of people the hiking didn't seem too crowded. It's bad for traffic in Pigeon Forge as always but if you fill up the gas tank there are aide roads and back ways around. We always took the scenic route and sometimes it saved time sometimes not but at least it was pretty along the way.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. I decline that condo, and right now am still trying for Maggie Valley. If I end up with Gatlinburg, that's certainly not a bad thing and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much as WNC. Like I said, I've been there before and I love it. I'm not big on the tourist hot spots so I'd avoid Pigeon Forge anyways. That's more for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville