Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times

Advertisements

Sure miss the good ol days when we handle these type of scumbags with a rope..

I guess I am kind of old fashioned in some ways people don't like.

My heart is mourning for the people of Tennessee and the loss of such beautiful land. I guess I will never get to see the beauty of Gatlinburg now.. I'm not sure what is left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

My heart is mourning for the people of Tennessee and the loss of such beautiful land. I guess I will never get to see the beauty of Gatlinburg now.. I'm not sure what is left.
This is in no way to minimize what happened but you do realize the trees and foliage will regrow and most likely healthier due to the cleansing nature of fire and that most/all of downtown survived? What was destroyed will for the most likely be rebuilt so unless you're going to die in the next few years it'll be there.
Sadly people were injured and 14 died, that can never be fixed.

I don't believe we were ever a society where you'd hang a 15 year old, even in the old west.
I get the anger.....no, FURY at who did this heinous, vile act, let's wait and see what actually comes out about those responsible IF in fact the two current suspects are indeed the ones before firing up the carpenters to build the hangman's scaffolding.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

Most of downtown Gatlinburg is still there, as is the Craftsmen's Loop. The Sugarlands Visitors' Center in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was untouched, and the Little River Road is open and unharmed, as are Elkmont, Tremont, and Cade's Cove. Many of the hotel, resort, rental cabin and motel owners plan to rebuild, and some already have crews on site for clean-up and have hired construction crews to start as soon as possible. Gatlinburg itself will recover - but the surrounding area faces more challenges.

If you love the area, consider staying in Townsend, on the "quiet side of the Smokies", for the time being, but drive into Gatlinburg to shop and see the sights. Townsend is very close to all of the places I named in the above paragraph, and not far from Gatlinburg, where your tourist dollars would be very, very welcome right now. So spend them at the attractions along the main drag and the Craftsman's Loop. Many of the employees still have jobs but lost homes, so they need cash. Tip generously when you can.

Cherokee, NC, and the Oconaluftee Vistors' Center and Pioneer Farm were not affected at all, nor were Newfound Gap and Clingman's Dome (the Dome road is closed for the season, as usual).

But the valley of the Little Pigeon River WAS burned, and much of the transmontane highway runs down to Gatlinburg through that valley. The popular Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail was also affected, although the lovely Ogle cabin, near the start of the drive, survived.

We will have to wait until spring to see how much greenery emerges...meanwhile, The Friends of the Smokies are happy to receive donations, all of which are going to fire relief and recovery within the GSMNP. The Friends of the Smokies have had donation boxes and barrels in place throughout the park for many years, and are a legitimate charitable organization. If you love the Smokies and want to help the park recover, consider the Friends...thanks.

As for the two teens accused of arson, let justice take its course. I can think of a number of suitable sentences for these boys, if they're found guilty (as seems likely, given the evidence), but I am not sure they're all legal. None involve torture or the death penalty, but none are particularly pleasant, most would be physically exhausting and publicly productive, and all are designed to raise these young idiots' awareness, maturity level and compassion. Too bad they'd also need to serve very, very long jail or prison sentences, once they're "improved" by these proposed additional "required tasks".

Make that "create compassion" above, as it does not appear that they have any to start with.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
When I saw this map, I saw the true extent of the destruction.

Public Information Map

Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They are from Anderson County.
I hate this fact, I read it too. I had hoped they were from somewhere else but they do live in East Tennessee. How could people who live here do this? I can't imagine why anyone would do this, but having them live here makes it even more infuriating. I look at those mountains and the park and I see beauty and the crown jewel of our state, they looked at it and saw something to set on fire. Fourteen people are dead and tens of millions in damage. I hope they never see the light of day again but through the prison yard. Throw the book at them.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:24 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I hate this fact, I read it too. I had hoped they were from somewhere else but they do live in East Tennessee. How could people who live here do this? I can't imagine why anyone would do this, but having them live here makes it even more infuriating. I look at those mountains and the park and I see beauty and the crown jewel of our state, they looked at it and saw something to set on fire. Fourteen people are dead and tens of millions in damage. I hope they never see the light of day again but through the prison yard. Throw the book at them.
I feel the same way. I was literally sick to my stomach when I saw what happened to my beloved Gatlinburg, and absolutely outraged beyond words when I found out it was two local boys who (allegedly) did it. Apparently, the parents of the 15 year old are assuming the worst as they've reportedly hired the infamous criminal defense attorney Gregory P. Isaacs to defend their boy. It looks like the 17 year old will be able to be tried as an adult which means Knoxville is in for a media circus. I know I, for one, will be watching to see what happens.

But no matter what happens to the boys, I'm pretty sure their parents are in for years of lawsuits and civil trials. Those boys, if they really did what they're being accused of, have ruined their own families' lives as well as the lives of dozens of other families and individuals.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I feel the same way. I was literally sick to my stomach when I saw what happened to my beloved Gatlinburg, and absolutely outraged beyond words when I found out it was two local boys who (allegedly) did it. Apparently, the parents of the 15 year old are assuming the worst as they've reportedly hired the infamous criminal defense attorney Gregory P. Isaacs to defend their boy. It looks like the 17 year old will be able to be tried as an adult which means Knoxville is in for a media circus. I know I, for one, will be watching to see what happens.

But no matter what happens to the boys, I'm pretty sure their parents are in for years of lawsuits and civil trials. Those boys, if they really did what they're being accused of, have ruined their own families' lives as well as the lives of dozens of other families and individuals.
There is no doubt the parents lives are ruined too. When it leaks out who they are ( and it likely will) those families lives in this area won't be easy. Most likely the children will be going to jail for a long time and the families will be moving out of the state. I do feel some sympathy for the parents. I am sure they had no idea that thier kids were capable of this kind of thing. I can't imagine how they feel now, knowing your kid has done such a terrible thing and having the knowledge that lawsuits and lawyers will be trying to take everything they have away from them. I wonder what will happen to them, what options do they even have?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There is no doubt the parents lives are ruined too. When it leaks out who they are ( and it likely will) those families lives in this area won't be easy. Most likely the children will be going to jail for a long time and the families will be moving out of the state. I do feel some sympathy for the parents. I am sure they had no idea that thier kids were capable of this kind of thing. I can't imagine how they feel now, knowing your kid has done such a terrible thing and having the knowledge that lawsuits and lawyers will be trying to take everything they have away from them. I wonder what will happen to them, what options do they even have?
About all that can be taken from the parents is any amount their insurances are legally bound to pay, bankruptcy will void any other judgements protecting things like their homes and their paychecks.
Unless the parents are found to be "bad parents" I don't see a reason to hold the parents morally responsible, kids do stupid stuff that the parents have no control over so it's not fair or right to blame them.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
After reading about this I recalled giving a 15 yr old I know some money to go to Gatlinburg about that time. I kept reminding myself: he wouldn't hike to the top of the chimneys. But 15 yr olds can do stupid things, especially with peer pressure. Of course I was very happy to see he wasn't in jail. You can't just call and ask: "have you done something really stupid lately?"

None of this talk about hanging. Gaaah.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Unless the parents are found to be "bad parents" I don't see a reason to hold the parents morally responsible, kids do stupid stuff that the parents have no control over so it's not fair or right to blame them.
Actually, the parents can be held responsible. Under Tennessee Code Title 37, Chapter 10, Part 1, parents and legal guardians can be held financially responsible if a minor child in their custody maliciously or willfully causes personal injury or property damage.

Under Tennessee Code section 37-10-101, a corporation, county, town, village, school district, or state entity -- in addition to individuals -- may collect damages from a minor's parents.

Parental Responsibility Laws in Tennessee | Nolo.com

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville