Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:34 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times

Advertisements

It does get hot in TN but high temps don't last as long and dew points are lower. The worst humidity in Knoxville is not as bad as FL. Also it starts cooling off in Sept meanwhile a place like FL would still be burning up. FL has the worst humidity because we are surrounded by water. FL Keys is probably most humid anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM

377 posts, read 469,919 times
As much as I love TN, might I suggest Arizona? The dry climate might do you well. My father-in-law is in the same boat and was told AZ was a good place for him to retire ... but he's still in Ohio.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 PM

36 posts, read 43,874 times
Default Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I come from the incredibly dry climate of northern/central California and moved to the Knoxville area (Loudon) 3.5 years ago. I specifically didn't want the extreme (90%+) humidity of FL and the gulf coast states. We visited in August to get a taste of the summer humidity and we weren't scared off. After 3.5 years here, I am happy to say that, while it is definitely humid, it is not at all like the deep south. I am very sensitive to humidity and I find it quite bearable. The thing that you want to check to make comparisons is the dew point temperature. The higher the dew point, the more humid it is regardless of the temperature. This is a more accurate comparison than the relative humidity, which fluctuates with the temp (that's what's relative in the term "relative humidity"). You can check the Weather Underground website to get all the historical temp and humidity data for any city to make your comparisons.
I am so happy you wrote this! We are from Northern California, with plans to move to Tennessee this summer. I have been so worried about the humidity b/c of my sensitivities to it. Your post has calmed me.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM

455 posts, read 669,677 times
Humidity in Knoxville is nowhere near humidity here in Charleston, SC. Air quality may not be the greatest, but humidity should not be a major issue.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
However, coming from northern California or the North, it may not be bearable. I'm from the North and if I hadn't lived in Southwest Florida for awhile, I would have probably not tolerated the heat and humidity here. However, having resided at the gates of hell, I think this area has great weather. I will say that I am tolerating the cold less and less as I age. I've spent quite a bit of time in Columbus, Georgia, this past month and I would rather live there. California is on the list, too.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 PM

196 posts, read 259,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
However, coming from northern California or the North, it may not be bearable. I'm from the North and if I hadn't lived in Southwest Florida for awhile, I would have probably not tolerated the heat and humidity here. However, having resided at the gates of hell, I think this area has great weather. I will say that I am tolerating the cold less and less as I age. I've spent quite a bit of time in Columbus, Georgia, this past month and I would rather live there. California is on the list, too.
Somewhere you'd rather live than Knoxville? Color me shocked!

OP, do you all plan to visit the area? As much as many of us say the humidity isn't bad your husband has different needs regarding humidity so I really think he'll need to experience it himself.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptiveinCali View Post
I am so happy you wrote this! We are from Northern California, with plans to move to Tennessee this summer. I have been so worried about the humidity b/c of my sensitivities to it. Your post has calmed me.
Check the air quality as well as it is not good near the Smokies. Pollution builds up. Uniquely on a program today it was said the 3rd highest cause of death in TN is lung issues.

I moved here from SoCal and am now moving to central East Coast of FL for better air quality. I was there last year for the hottest week of the year (Visited every month over the last few years) and in the Knoxville area the temps and dew point were the same. Biggest difference while in FL was the ocean breeze that made it comfortable. Now So FL is a whole different story.

Had a home built in FL and will be putting mine on the market shortly.

For air quality you can check here daily: airnow.gov.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
You haven't felt humidity like on the west coast of Florida on a summer morning when the reverse wind flow is coming off the gulf of Mexico following a sticky night with temps that never made it past 80F.
I liken it to having a warm wet blanket wrapped around your head.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 PM

121 posts, read 162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
You haven't felt humidity like on the west coast of Florida on a summer morning when the reverse wind flow is coming off the gulf of Mexico following a sticky night with temps that never made it past 80F.
I liken it to having a warm wet blanket wrapped around your head.
Been there done that. Spent 40 years of my life in Naples. No thanks. We got out of that sweaty swamp once we retired and moved up to the Cumberland Plateau. No regrets what so every.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 AM

233 posts, read 305,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptiveinCali View Post
We lived in Redding. Where are you and what made you choose Tennessee?
We are in Seattle area and looking at Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville