Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Knoxville shortly and I have never lived in a place with so many options for ISPs. Anybody have any strong opinions towards one or another? The last ISP I had was Time Warner Cable and they were god awful, but I've had Charter before which was fine (I think they're owned by TWC?). I'll be using it to stream Netflix, but I don't game or anything, so something about 10+ mbps is probably fine. I only want internet.

WOW doesn't look like it's available to my apartment complex. Not sure what the other options are; it looks like Spectrum (maybe), AT&T, Xfinity/Comcast, anything else?

Last edited by Focus62; 06-01-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 09:15 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Spectrum is Charter. It's the fastest in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
You can't have Charter and Comcast, that's not the way it works. If you are in Knoxville, but not Farragut, it will be Comcast. Please use the search feature. It's in the blue ribbon above along with "My Settings, "Blogs," Subscribed Forums," etc. Click on "Search," then type in "Comcast" or "cable," then on the right-hand side, be sure and check Knoxville under Tennessee.

I've written so many times about this that I can't do it anymore. There will be other opinions as well.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM

61 posts, read 75,760 times
Is there any way to find out what internet providers are available to which apartment complexes in West Knoxville and Farragut and if one is able to choose a higher speed than going along with the "party line internet" apartment conduit that usually gets severely limited in speed when everyone comes home from work and school around you and jumps on the internet? In other words, how to find out ahead of a move if and where exactly you can get a dedicated internet connection of 25-50 mbs or better into your own apartment at any of the decent apartment complexes in West Knoxville. This is for someone moving to Knoxville who needs a solid uptime high-speed internet isp connection for stock trading, and there are no indications either on the websites of the various providers or in the various apartment complexes of the true levels of service permitted or available there; in some cases it is not clear whether it even exists for better quality isp providers at that location. A public wi-fi "business alcove" provided by the apartment complex for internet use just is not going to do it for someone making their living trading stocks on the internet all day.

He does not want to take a chance moving to an apartment, only to find out after getting internet service that it is out most of the time or running at 3-5 mbps instead of the promised 50 mbps because the apartment complex is hooked up as a unit party line on extremely limited available bandwidth, which is one of the main ways they try to "overbook" their services in many areas to make more money. Do the individual isp providers tell you before a move which locations (as apartments) they do provide the faster levels of service? It appears that you have to already be living somewhere there with an address before they will tell you if they provide service that you want at that location and allow you to sign up for service; alternatively, you might find out that they do not provide to apartments, etc. which makes you totally without choice in speed or quality, along with your 12 month lease that you already signed and with no way to make a living there to pay for it!

I suggested he consider a move to Chattanooga, where the city provides everyone internet at massive speeds of gigabits per second, if he has a strong enough stomach for living inside the city limits with the highest per capita crime rate in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville