Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 15,745 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family and I are considering moving from Upstate NY to Tennessee, possibly the Knoxville area. We came down to visit a few weeks ago and loved it, but we are not really sure were in Knoxville we should relocate to. I have two small children ages 5 and 2. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 AM

133 posts, read 376,461 times
Let the forum know what your interests are and what you are looking for in a place to relocate. It is hard to say one place or another without knowing what you are actually looking for.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 15,745 times
Default Knoxville location

When we came and visited Knoxville, we seemed to like western side of Knoxville the best. Cedar Bluff, Faragut,etc. We are looking for affordable house to rent (since we aren't sure exactly where we want to settle down yet) good schools and someplace where there is good employment. My husband can do just about anything, he works for a towing company now and I work for a local police dept.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

23 posts, read 82,521 times
I to plan to relocate at retirement to Knoxville area. My wife and purchased lakeview property in Vonore, TN. three years ago. Like you, we fell in love with the area and the people. Selling my home in CT. this year to downsize before retirement. Trailor home in CT. until the boys Graduate High School. Start building on our land in Tellico Harbor. The 5 lakes in the Knoxville area are beautiful and the Smokey Mountains. Property taxes are low, no state income tax but wages are low. Good Luck! you could find some good deals on land but becareful. Zoning rules are not like in NY.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtec View Post
Zoning rules are not like in NY.
That's a good point. Also, something to consider, not all counties have a building code. Knox, Anderson, Loudon, and Roane have building codes, but to my knowledge the rest of the Greater Knoxille area counties do not. In counties that do not have a building code, the only things that are typically inspected are septic, if applicable (state does it), and electrical (utility requires it).

Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 82,521 times
E-mail sebtec@aol.com
If you want to talk openly about the area, I hate typing. I research many areas and get sunday papers for last 5 yrs from the area. We almost ended up north of Knoxville on Norris Lake

Monroe County building in restricted community is the way to go, protecting your property valve, Beware of assoc. fees, high maint fees, building sq/ft mins., home types, and if you plan to retire,shopping areas close to home, hospitals,doctors & airports?
I almost forgot Tornados touch down mainly in flat land areas not the Smokey Mountains.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-17-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 04:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,957 times
Be prepared for people to make fun of the way you talk and call you "Yankee". And no, it's not because of the NY Yankees. Jobs pay next to nothing and good luck finding one. It's the good ole boy system and friends and family get the jobs. Past that, fellow Tennesseans get the job. People are very religious and conservative, so don't expect and open discussions about anything controversial.

Also, you're in for a long, hot, neverending summer...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
There are actually a lot of liberals in Knoxville. What mendenho wrote is more true about sections of Sevierville and Maryville, and the more further you go from Knox County. I live in Seymour and no one in any of the surrounding towns has made fun of the way I talk (yet). I run into northerners every day, everywhere.

Jobs in upstate NY don't pay like jobs in NYC, right? You may have more in common with this area than you think.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendenho View Post
Be prepared for people to make fun of the way you talk and call you "Yankee". And no, it's not because of the NY Yankees. Jobs pay next to nothing and good luck finding one. It's the good ole boy system and friends and family get the jobs. Past that, fellow Tennesseans get the job. People are very religious and conservative, so don't expect and open discussions about anything controversial.

Also, you're in for a long, hot, neverending summer...
I have never heard any native Tennessean make fun of anyone else's accent. Getting a job anywhere is hard if you have a negative attitude towards the area. It tends to come across in the interview.

Yes, this is a conservative area, but not everyone is a conservative.

Last years "never ending summer" was a record heat wave during a record drought. It wasn't just here. It was throughout the South. The climate in this area is pretty darn good. Historical climate data is readily available on the web for anyone who is interested.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
I have never heard any native Tennessean make fun of anyone else's accent. Getting a job anywhere is hard if you have a negative attitude towards the area. It tends to come across in the interview.
Really? People make fun of my accent and it isn't half as bad as it use to be.

Last week, I actually had an elderly woman tell me that northern women "aren't any good." And that we should have a war, again. Bless her heart!

It's true that some people prefer to hire locals. If you've been here awhile, you will be more accepted. My husband, who has established a local reputation, does very well. Like anywhere else, you have to prove yourself.

NJDevil is right, it is more liberal the closer you are to the city. I work with a good mix of people.

I agree with Eat. Last summer was unusual. Having lived up north and in southwest Florida, I think the weather is perfect.

It takes awhile to make your way here, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville