Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM

122 posts, read 365,546 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading. We have a house for sale in Bakersfield california. We want OUT OF CALIFORNIA like YESTERDAY> We live in BAKERSFIELD, let me break Bakersfield down: East side: Hispanic, gangs, South Side: African American, gangs, Oildale: white trash crackheads no other race, SW high end new houses.

my husband works as an auto tech at chevy and i am a returning BA student at 35 to get my teaching credentials. We are moving out of Bakersfield ca because of the people, we are always a minority, most people here speak little english. You can go to a store and the clerk just starts speaking spanish without even looking at you...It is dirty, people are rude, lots of gangs,zero culture in Bakersfield, air smells like cow dung when you step outside, shootings every other day, oh yeah and schools here are getting a wonderful 10% cut from the governator...what a joke he turned out to be...putting our state in a bigger economic slup by poorly educating our kids.

We have a 3 year old and 8 year old (in the gifted program at school).
Here is what I want to know from a local resident. Are the Gifted programs good there in knox area? My son is very smart naturally and putting him in a regular class would be useless. #2: job pay and prospects for AUTOMOTIVE techs, my husband is 2 ASE away from master tech? pay hours etc? any techs working at dealerships can answer this, he does not work for independent shops..
TAKE A BREATH and finish, last i am finishing BA, plenty of schools there. We ride atv's all week end, does this area have good spots to ride? this is very important. LAST, is it reasonable to think we can buy a house for like 140 within commuting distance to knox area with several acres to roam? anybody have any input just type it in! Bustin' out of Bakersfield...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 77,899 times
Gorideaquad, I don't think this is the right place to place that post, you could have opened a whole new thread for that.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-31-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Good idea Jack, I have made a new thread!! :)

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Wink Definitely try a "New Thread", gorideaquad!

Gorideaquad, if I could offer a little advice that might help you get some answers. Jack Sparrow is right. You should start a new thread, like "Need school advice" or "Moving from CA, need advice", etc.

Also, it is probably better if you don't dish so heavily the place you are leaving. It may raise some eyebrows. A little more low-key will get a lot better response.

Because gifted programs are federally mandated, every large city, small town, or village will have appropriate programs for your children. Local folks can fill you in on which school districts seem to have good caring teachers and good teacher/parent relationships.

Check out realestate-dot-com and look over the offerings for locations outside of the city for the property and price you are looking for. You will be hard-pressed to find acreage for 140K close to the city. Perhaps more toward Cookeville in the mid-section of the state or further north of Knoxville.

Lots of locals will be happy to help, but first start a new thread using the Blue box top left of main Knoxville page. That should get you the appropriate responses. Take two deep breaths so you don't scare anybody!!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Gorideaquad, I have started a new thread for you. Best of luck as you seek answers to your questions. Welcome the the forum!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM

thank you. I suppose I should go lighter on the town we are leaving, It is the best little place to live for some. I suppose I have grown to see its realities and can't ignore them, maybe a little bit of it is just that I am showing my age by posting so passionately...will take advice and be more....wise in posting icky details about ca. After all, lots of people still love it here... that being said. I read Maryville has super schools. Would a local maybe who has kids there interject?
Also Kodiak, any locals give me their feelings on commuting and a feel for community there? never been just to knoxville.
I suppose I am moving not to bash where i am leaving from but to better our lives. I want to assimilate and respect where i go, maybe having lived somewhere I dislike will make me appreciate the little things much more!
Any people who have recently moved from Ca to Knoxville area who would like to tell me their living experience would be great...

Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
I moved in 94, so my experience is not exactly recent. We used to stop in Bakersfield on our way from Long Beach to California Hot Springs/Pine Flat where we had a cabin. Can't say much for the town, since we really just stopped to eat dinner and gas up.

As far as Kodak goes, it's less than 20 miles from downtown Knoxville. I really don't know much about the Kodak community, but I'm sure there are a bunch of Sevier County people on this forum and can give you the scoop.

Good luck with your move.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

39 posts, read 117,988 times
KathiOH1 started a thread that listed a couple of sites about school districts. I hadn't found these sites in my web searching. These might help you.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM

thanks for the responses...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Gorideaquad, if you go to this City-Data link, it will list all posts about Kodak, TN. You should find the answers to many of your questions there.

If there is any way that you could visit the area first, that is always a wise thing to do. You don't want to move all the way across the country only to realize that this place is not for you. A visit would be best.

Meanwhile, I hope that you find lots of information here to help you. Folks on this forum are very helpful and friendly. We like to see everyone content and happy with their new home place.

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=4501778

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM

86 posts, read 302,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorideaquad View Post
Hello and thanks for reading. We have a house for sale in Bakersfield california. We want OUT OF CALIFORNIA like YESTERDAY> We live in BAKERSFIELD, let me break Bakersfield down: East side: Hispanic, gangs, South Side: African American, gangs, Oildale: white trash crackheads no other race, SW high end new houses.

my husband works as an auto tech at chevy and i am a returning BA student at 35 to get my teaching credentials. We are moving out of Bakersfield ca because of the people, we are always a minority, most people here speak little english. You can go to a store and the clerk just starts speaking spanish without even looking at you...It is dirty, people are rude, lots of gangs,zero culture in Bakersfield, air smells like cow dung when you step outside, shootings every other day, oh yeah and schools here are getting a wonderful 10% cut from the governator...what a joke he turned out to be...putting our state in a bigger economic slup by poorly educating our kids.

We have a 3 year old and 8 year old (in the gifted program at school).
Here is what I want to know from a local resident. Are the Gifted programs good there in knox area? My son is very smart naturally and putting him in a regular class would be useless. #2: job pay and prospects for AUTOMOTIVE techs, my husband is 2 ASE away from master tech? pay hours etc? any techs working at dealerships can answer this, he does not work for independent shops..
TAKE A BREATH and finish, last i am finishing BA, plenty of schools there. We ride atv's all week end, does this area have good spots to ride? this is very important. LAST, is it reasonable to think we can buy a house for like 140 within commuting distance to knox area with several acres to roam? anybody have any input just type it in! Bustin' out of Bakersfield...
hi gorideaquad. I sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville