Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM

122 posts, read 365,546 times

Advertisements

Good morning all you wonderful people!
I would like for people who already work at dealers (chevrolet specifically) or even at independent shops to chime in!
Is it easy to get a job as a technician if you lose it? what is the pay at dealers or independent shops? How many hours are you flagging every two weeks at your dealership? pay? insurance paryroll deduction.
I just want to compare my husband's job a Chevrolet in Bakersfield to where we are headed soon.
Thanks and don't be bashful!! Have a great day all you wrench turners
[CENTER][CENTER]
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times
Don't know the specific answers but would suggest you contact Carmax in Knoxville. They have a very good service department. I bought my car there and have it serviced there and I've been very happy with it.
Used cars and new cars at carmax.com ® The way car buying should be. ® Printer Window (http://www.carmax.com/dyn/companyinfo/careers/state.aspx?state=TN - broken link)
The service dept. at Carmax was recommended to me by mechanics who worked at the independent shops where I had my Saabs services (I've switched to a Ford after the engine on the last Saab gave up the ghost). Apparently Carmax has attracted a lot of experienced mechanics, even some who had their own shops.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
there are quite a few dealerships in Knoxville. My husband will also be working at a dealership when we move. He's already had a few interviews and is open to a position when we move but he didn't get into specific pay.. yet... Hours turned seemed to be pretty good though.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM

great yeah my husband's job used to be like 120 hours every 2 weeks, he does brakes (trust me that was all sweat and labor, no sitting around for that pay) and now he brings home 65-80 hours and we are hurting so I am wondering if the same applies there. The economy is NOT helping the dealerships!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM

22 posts, read 69,476 times
I am not sure what hours they are turining . My hubby is an automotive painter and he was on a team up north for a caddy dealership his hours up there were on the team 175-200 a week when split between three people that is not much . So we moved down here and he is turing anywhere 90- 120 a week hours by him self . Which those are commision hours . And he has been very busy which I am not complaining . So It is hard to say what the dealerships are doing . My suggestion is look up some of there numbers and call and speak to the service biller I used to do that and they are the ones doing the billing for the techs . And just make small talk with them and see if they could help . It never hurts to try . Are uncle lives up in mich still he is a mechnic for a pontiac gmc dealer and they are hurting bad like only 20-30 hrs a week commision . Which is hard to support a family on . Best of luck to you . Where are you guys thinking of moving to any specific areas . We are in the process of buying a home here and insurance is so cheap . I love the cheaper living .

Last edited by daw80; 04-16-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
You previously asked about techs at dealerships, so I didn't respond.

My husband has 21 years experience as an auto tech. Before moving here he was a shop foreman in Florida. However, he has only worked at independent shops, so I don't know if my comments would apply to your situation.

It has been tough going. Lots of guys-and some gals-around here grew up fixing cars, so the trade doesn't carry a lot of respect.

He was actually offered a job for $6.19 an hour at one point and he worked for $10 an hour for a month because he couldn't find anything else. One guy told him, "You won't be finding that Florida money around here, boy."

Although he was a shop foreman here for more than a year, there has been a lot of problems. People promise one pay and give another, etc.

He is finally out on his own. He has done very well with that, but in the past few weeks it has slowed down at all the independent shops. We kind of find it surprising, since you would think that trade would be recession-proof. I guess that folks can't afford to fix their cars with the gas prices being so high.

Of course, insurance at independents is unheard of or too high to purchase. That is one of the reasons that I work.

I hope some of that information is helpful, although it just might not pertain to your husband.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM

It's slowed down here in FL too. My husband hasn't been hurting too much because he's the only one in the shop that does the big engine and transmission jobs getting 60 hours or more each week but the other guys he works with who do routine stuff are hurting barely getting 30 hours a week. The sales department is taking a beating too. Usually they sell 200 cars a month and so far this month only 36.

GORIDEAQUAD.... How is 60 -85 hours a week hurting? Does he not get paid very much? If my husband got 85 hours in a week, his paycheck would be over $2000 for the week.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM

60 to 85 hours every two weeks my apologies. Take health ins taxes etc that leaves little for us 4.
daw80 my husband worked for cadillac, it's all part of chevrolet hummer and so on. Those hours are very promising to hear. we are looking at many surrounding areas of Knoxville, we pay 350 insurance for 2 adults (the dealer pays the other 350 on the monthly premium). We cannot affoard to pay for ins thru his job for the wee ones! Crazy world.
Great feedback keep it coming I appreciate your time....gorideaquad
Hik, great info on your end. Yes independent shops is a whole other story but I leave it open as an option, I wish your husband lots of good clientele, word of mouth goes very far. We lived in a small town just 50 miles from Bakersfield called Tehachapi and he worked at all the independent shops in town! in the end he started commuting 150 miles round trip just to work at a regular dealership. Yes they promise you the sun and the moon and never deliver those independent shops.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorideaquad View Post
60 to 85 hours every two weeks my apologies. Take health ins taxes etc that leaves little for us 4.
daw80 my husband worked for cadillac, it's all part of chevrolet hummer and so on. Those hours are very promising to hear. we are looking at many surrounding areas of Knoxville, we pay 350 insurance for 2 adults (the dealer pays the other 350 on the monthly premium). We cannot affoard to pay for ins thru his job for the wee ones! Crazy world.
Great feedback keep it coming I appreciate your time....gorideaquad
Hik, great info on your end. Yes independent shops is a whole other story but I leave it open as an option, I wish your husband lots of good clientele, word of mouth goes very far. We lived in a small town just 50 miles from Bakersfield called Tehachapi and he worked at all the independent shops in town! in the end he started commuting 150 miles round trip just to work at a regular dealership. Yes they promise you the sun and the moon and never deliver those independent shops.
My husband works on Cadillacs now doing the big repairs. He recieved his masters in Cadillac last year. Nobody in the shop wants to do his job when he's out. I understand about the insurance. We pay $650 a month for ours through his work. i work at home self employed so that's our only option right now and it's a must. Last year my daughters medical bills were $32000 and that wasn't for hospital stays just regular doctor and medications. My husband did own his own shop years ago in Tampa but it seemed to consume his life sometimes 7 days a week just to keep up. Independent shops don't want to pay very much and after you adjust to making a certain amount of money, it's hard to take an almost 50% pay cut and get paid hourly which is what would happen. Nothing against independent shops but you can make more money sometimes and have much better benefits working for a dealership. Also some dealerships pay for continued education and keep up with the ever changing ways cars run. Through this employer they paid for him to get his Cadillac master, Toyota master and his GM world class achievement. Like i said before, i'd take a look or Google knoxville dealerships. we passed through there not long ago and there were severe dealerships all clustered together.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorideaquad View Post
Hik, great info on your end. Yes independent shops is a whole other story but I leave it open as an option, I wish your husband lots of good clientele, word of mouth goes very far.
You're right. Word of mouth makes all the difference and my husband still has a lot of work because of it, but he is noticing other shops are not very busy. This has happened in the past six weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville