Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's an optional law in TN...like using turn signals lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
If this is directed at my earlier post, let me clarify that my car doesn't only have automatic headlights - when it gets dark enough, all of the lights turn on (front and back) as if I had switched them on myself.

If this was NOT directed at my earlier post…well, not a big deal.
NOPE! Not directed at your post at all, ThatTNGuy! Even our car dealer a month or so ago told us that the front running lights and tail lights came on as soon as the car was started!

A lot of people assume that their taillights are turned on, even though they are following cars every day and should see that there are no lit taillights. It just demonstrates how unobservant some folks are, and some of them are driving in the rain with no lights - front or rear!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM

59 posts, read 163,885 times
Headlights when it is raining just makes common sense to me. I want to be able to see other vehicles in a down pour.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,498 times
Perhaps if the laws were better enforced, those who don't turn on their headlights when they should, would learn their lesson the hard way by receiving a ticket. Just a thought....

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
Perhaps if the laws were better enforced, those who don't turn on their headlights when they should, would learn their lesson the hard way by receiving a ticket. Just a thought....
I don't know. Even though cops and the highway patrol routinely give out tickets for speeding, people speed anyway.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I don't know. Even though cops and the highway patrol routinely give out tickets for speeding, people speed anyway.
That is the crux of the matter, JMT. I have always had a gripe about people not using their turn signals, not just while turning, but for lane changes.

The only person I know of who ever got a ticket for no turn signal use was my son who got his ticket when he pulled out of a shopping center parking lot with no turn signal.

It's those characters on the interstate who refuse to turn on their headlights or use turn signals who are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

No number of tickets will change the stubborn and inconsiderate patterns of some people. As it has been said "one cannot legislate morality", common sense or good manners.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM

39 posts, read 118,017 times
I agree that everyone should turn on headlights in bad weather, they don't. What I do notice when driving, is the lack of signs on the interstates. I drove back from Knoxville on Sunday, I think there were speed limit signs about once an hour on I-81, and the speed changes sometimes.
I'm used to signs every 30 miles in the thruways up here. Sadly, 'headlights on when windshield wipers are in use' isn't a law everywhere, so the signs should be posted periodically. We new people need to see the signs to know what's going on!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
.... "one cannot legislate morality", common sense or good manners.
Though it's not for lack of trying!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM

592 posts, read 2,135,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Most states with this law DO post signs about it. Most states realize people need reminding. I am not going to read a driver's manual, I don't have time for that. I don't know anyone else that's going to make it a priority either. As important laws are created, they should be posted - as the one is about getting over for stopped emergency vehicles. I sure do have questions for a city official or policeman. I guess there aren't any on this forum?
You don't have time to look up a law, but have time to post about not having time to do it?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
You don't have time to look up a law, but have time to post about not having time to do it?
Like most states, Tennessee has its drivers license manual on line in PDF form for convenient download.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/dlha...ookWeb2007.pdf

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/dlha...yGuide2007.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: