Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I keep the lights on at all times. Fortunately they turn off with the key or I would have a lot of dead battery problems. I like seeing other cars with headlights on during the day regardless of the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
Thanks for the links Eat. gngmurphy is right, but if I comment on that, it will open another can of worms. It blows my mind how TN'ans won't turn their lights on in a downpour, but as soon as the sun sets - it's broad daylight - the lights come on. (I don't mean anyone on this forum, either. I mean the people without computers).

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,297 times
I've wondered about the lights in the rain thing myself, but also wonder why they build roads with no shoulders and build them so flat that water pools on them in the rain too.

That being said, I'm totally confused about the comment with the lights coming on as soon as the sun sets.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I keep the lights on at all times. Fortunately they turn off with the key or I would have a lot of dead battery problems. I like seeing other cars with headlights on during the day regardless of the weather.
Absolutely, GregW. Cars are so much easier to see, and distances from them much easier to estimate, if the lights are on. Even if it is just the running lights that are on.

If there is no drain on fuel or battery, why not just have them on all the time - except as you said, GregW, when the engine is turned off. Thank you very much, GM, for auto-off (Since the 1950s - can you believe that?!).

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,617 times
There may not be a drain on the car battery, but it's just a matter of time before the bulbs have to be replaced....the more their used, the sooner. That's what common sense is to some people, not me of course!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
We have had to replace bulbs in our cars, but I don't think more than 1 every 100,000 miles or so. Seems like a fair trade-off for safety, don't you think?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 PM

39 posts, read 118,024 times
Actually, it was 6 states, and no I don't have that kind of time, or inclination to clog up my computer with downloads.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
You may find this hard to believe, but put your sunglasses on when driving in the rain during the daylight hours. Unless you are in a very dark storm this helps clear your vision. My theory is the light bounces off the rain drops in every direction causing a blurred effect to the eye. Blocking the sunlight from the raindrops clears your vision. TRY IT! You will love it.
In Tennessee we have about half the population driving in the rain without lights on. When it is not raining the other half drive with foglamps on and blind everyone on the roads. I passed a fellow with three sets of foglamps AND his headlights on and went totally blind while moving down the road. I can't understand the police not putting a stop to this dangerous behavior.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treva1 View Post
You may find this hard to believe, but put your sunglasses on when driving in the rain during the daylight hours. Unless you are in a very dark storm this helps clear your vision. My theory is the light bounces off the rain drops in every direction causing a blurred effect to the eye. Blocking the sunlight from the raindrops clears your vision. TRY IT! You will love it.
Yes! That's why I don't mind driving in the rain when it's dark!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 63,496 times
I was taught in driver's ed that if your windshield wipers are on, then your headlights had to be on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: