Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times

Advertisements

I'm with you EMc. Good, healthy nutritious food is what makes the world go around. Thanks for your sympathies over the coulda', woulda', shoulda' shrimp recipe. (Thank you for such a great, informative post!)

Gailli, I cannot wait to go to the markets, either. The lavender seller was very thoughtful. What a wonderful scent.

I don't care how far away we end up from the Farmer's Market or Fresh Market - once a week, at least, I'll be there with my cloth bags! (You do all use environmentally friendly cloth bags, don't you?)

Last edited by gemkeeper; 06-28-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Can't spell tonight!! Sorry! :D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 PM

780 posts, read 1,766,062 times
Default cloth bags

Yes I have the bags from Food City, I also have a cart that I take with me to the market to put everything in, works great, better than carrying it all.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
EMc- You did not refer to the cost of GAS to get to all these places. Personally I would love to drive everywhere specially directly to the farms to get my produce/cuts of meat, but no matter how lovely the drive may be I'm still bleeding from my gas tank.

Side note: Does anyone know if the Oak Ridge FARM market has a vendor that sells dairy products? I'm trying to go to this market instead of Market square due to gas prices and a tight budget. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter410 View Post
EMc- You did not refer to the cost of GAS to get to all these places. Personally I would love to drive everywhere specially directly to the farms to get my produce/cuts of meat, but no matter how lovely the drive may be I'm still bleeding from my gas tank.

Side note: Does anyone know if the Oak Ridge FARM market has a vendor that sells dairy products? I'm trying to go to this market instead of Market square due to gas prices and a tight budget. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty lucky. I'm centrally located in Knoxville and it is 10 to 20 minutes to get to any farmer's market Tuesday through Friday. And every market that I have been to has offered veggies, bread, eggs and meats along with other assorted goodies. I'm not bleeding gas, by any means.

Of course I can also get to Fresh Market, Earth Fare and the Strawberry Fields Market on Sutherland just as quickly. The Strawberry Fields market offers a lot of local bounty, too, including Benton bacon. It's owned by a local lady.

I haven't been to the Oak Ridge market in years but the farmer from Sunbright use to go there back in 2006. I don't know about now. I think he tries to get to them all. There will also be a new farmer's market running over in Turkey Creek this year. That shouldn't be too bad of a drive for you, either.

I also try to grow some of my own food, even lettuce and herbs on my windowsills.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
I tried the New Harvest Farmers Market today for the first time. I got plenty of stuff for 20 bucks, including gourmet doggie treats for Petie. I also got a bunch of Baby Romaine that is awesome. I never did find anyone who sells eggs though.
I did pick up a few herb seedlings that I'll pot up.
I'll definitely be going back again.
Pam

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I tried the New Harvest Farmers Market today for the first time. I got plenty of stuff for 20 bucks, including gourmet doggie treats for Petie. I also got a bunch of Baby Romaine that is awesome. I never did find anyone who sells eggs though.
I did pick up a few herb seedlings that I'll pot up.
I'll definitely be going back again.
Pam
I've found eggs there before. There's a farmer from Sunbright that brings meat. If you see him you have to ask for his eggs.

I've never seen doggie treats at any of them so that might be new!

I love the farmer's markets. It's a very affordable and healthy way to eat.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 AM

K & B Gourmet Pet Treats I don't know if he is new or not, but Petie loves the treats. What I got was called a bag of bones. It is the big dog treats that break during transit, he rebags and sells for 4 bucks.

The English Muffin bread I picked up is awesome! There was a restaurant back where I'm from and English muffin bread was their specialty. This bread is as good and I'm thrilled to have found some.
I'm happy to report, going to the Farmers Market, gives me just as much pleasure as hitting an antique store. The atmosphere was fun, energy filled with a guy playing music on the guitar. I went at 3 when they opened.
I recently read where the Market Square Farmers Market on Saturday has crafts, can anyone confirm?
Pam

Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
K & B Gourmet Pet Treats I don't know if he is new or not, but Petie loves the treats. What I got was called a bag of bones. It is the big dog treats that break during transit, he rebags and sells for 4 bucks.

The English Muffin bread I picked up is awesome! There was a restaurant back where I'm from and English muffin bread was their specialty. This bread is as good and I'm thrilled to have found some.
I'm happy to report, going to the Farmers Market, gives me just as much pleasure as hitting an antique store. The atmosphere was fun, energy filled with a guy playing music on the guitar. I went at 3 when they opened.
I recently read where the Market Square Farmers Market on Saturday has crafts, can anyone confirm?
Pam
This treat information is well, a treat.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

It's been awhile since I've been to the downtown farmer's market but there was definitely handmade wares when I was there, last. I like the downtown and New Harvest markets the best. I've never had decent luck at the Sequoyah one, although it's very close to work and a lot of the same vendors go to all of them.

I am left speechless by the English muffin info. I have the oddest weakness for English muffins. I would walk past ice cream, chocolate and fresh-baked bread for an English muffin. This cannot be good.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This treat information is well, a treat.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

It's been awhile since I've been to the downtown farmer's market but there was definitely handmade wares when I was there, last. I like the downtown and New Harvest markets the best. I've never had decent luck at the Sequoyah one, although it's very close to work and a lot of the same vendors go to all of them.

I am left speechless by the English muffin info. I have the oddest weakness for English muffins. I would walk past ice cream, chocolate and fresh-baked bread for an English muffin. This cannot be good.

Oh but Hik, it is very good. You have got to try some. I am going back this week, looking forward to it quite a bit. The same vendor that sold the English Muffin bread also sells some out of this world, Sausage, Onion Biscuits. I just tried them last night and I'm addicted. Warmed them up in the oven and slathered butter on them, Oh My!
Buying that bunch of Baby Romaine has turned me into a salad lunch person this past week. Something shocking that I am enjoying.
Pam

Old 05-20-2011, 04:19 AM

I had no idea that UT had a farmer's market. Add that no one to my list.

UT Farmers Market - Info | Facebook

Actually, this looks like it might be the first year.

Vegetable Production

That's nice because it is on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.

Downtown Market Square has one the same day but it is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

This is Cruze Farm's website where you can find info on where to find their dairy products. Cruze Farm Girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville