Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does a better steak?
Morton's 2 28.57%
Ruth's Chris 4 57.14%
Fleming's 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM

17 posts, read 34,802 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good local recommendations for restaurants in Knoxville? They can be upscale or cheap eats... we enjoy both as long as the food is prepared well. I am not a big fan of chain restaurants although we will hit an Olive Garden or Red Lobster from time to time and enjoy a good Ruth's Chris steak on special occasions.

My wife and I like to dine out once or twice a week. We also like good chinese for take-out (authentic, run by chinese people...not a chain).

I didn't come across any Indian restaurants on our visit. Are there any in Knoxville?
Oh, and we have to find a good pizza place as well.

We ate at a restaurant/martini bar on our last trip there called, Sapphire. It was pretty good, and had a few interesting Asian fusion entrees.
We stopped in Gatlinburg and while there ate at Cherokee Cafe which was average... any recommendations for Gatlinburg

I know this is a lot to chew...(bad pun) but any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM

14 posts, read 49,270 times
My favorite two are Conners (local owned steakhouse, also owns Chophouse) and Seasons (in the Renaissance complex in Farragut). Seasons changes their menu with the season, so everything is always fresh and delicious! I find Ruth Chris and Flemings to be overrated.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
My very, very favorite is Roux Barb, run by Chef Bruce Bogartz. Small restaurant, laid back atmosphere, incredible food. Asian Sous Chef. Ask for seats at the counter if you want the insider experience. Bruce puts on a show while he cooks. It's BYOB for wine. Hit Ashe's Liquor nearby for that.
Rouxbarb Restaurant Knoxville, TN
Just checked the menu and he's serving lunch again, including the Duck Club sandwich and Pesto BLT. Incredible stuff.
For Chinese, Hong Kong House, a routine looking restaurant in a strip mall at 8079 Kingston Pike. Chef worked in Washington, D.C. and Atlanta before coming here. People drive up from Atlanta to eat here.
For Indian, Taj has won me over. On KP west of Gallaher View. Great buffet for lunch. May also be doing buffet for dinner now.
My favorite Thai is Taste of Thai on North Peters (between Panera and Dicks Sporting Goods). Wonderful, wonderful food and a fun atmosphere.
Another favorite is Kalamata Cafe on Northshore just east of Pellissippi Parkway. Combines Sushi/Asian and Greek. Kalamata Cafe was a long time Greek restaurant here. It closed when the owners retired and then they got bored and reopened it in this location. Then they decided to retire again and sold it to Asians who kept the Greek part -- and do it very well -- and added their own dishes and great Sushi. I think they also have live music on the weekends. It's very Knoxville.
Puleos Grill is consistently good. I like their Salmon and Shrimp and Grits. Combo of Italian and Southern.
My favorite seafood place is the only national chain I go to: Bonefish Grill. I'm addicted to their bam-bam shrimp tacos. There's one in Turkey Creek and one on KP in Bearden.
Steak, Ye Olde Steakhouse on Chapman Highway in South Knoxville. A Knoxville institution with a well-deserved reputation for best steak.
For more, check out Metropulse, the free weekly. Their "Best of Knoxville" Issue came out last week. You'll find a lot of recommendations in that.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
Seasons, alway great, and I think the owner told me, between himself, and his chef, they have some 20 yrs plus, and it shows. Always delicious, unlike most others. Sapphires always willing to try what you want, and agee that Connors and Chop House, are good. Italian, try Altrudas, at corner of Kingston Pike and Peters.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
Spent a weekend in Gatlinburg recently. I reviewed every place we went to on Google. Best food we had was at Howard's. We were unimpressed with the following: Legends by Max, New Orleans Sandwich Shop, Mister Papa's Best Italian (same owners as Howard's). Blaine's Bar/Restaurant wasn't bad. Read the reviews on Hofbrauhaus on google (in the Village) if you like German. Best ice cream - Kilwin's.

Best Mexican restaurant in Knoxville - Abuelo's. Red Robin is worth a visit if you've never been. Mimi's Cafe has great food. We also enjoy Chop House (NEVER a bad experience).

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
All great recommendations. Knoxgarden has fabulous advice for EVERYTHING. I think she is BETTER than Metropulse.

I've been to Hong Kong house, on her recommendation. Lots of other Asians eating there, which says a lot. Have a question for her, though...What would you recommend that I order?

We enjoy Naples Italian Restaurant for the atmosphere.

Welcome to Knoxville!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 PM

[quote=hiknapster;8723726]I've been to Hong Kong house, on her recommendation. Lots of other Asians eating there, which says a lot. Have a question for her, though...What would you recommend that I order?
[quote]

I go for the Sichuan stuff, usually ordering any specials for the night.
If you're used to Americanized Chinese, you may not care for it. They do have an American-Chinese side of the menu.
I can't remember if they have a buffet on Sunday. That may be a good time to try the different types.
If you like more Americanized Chinese, try Lotus Garden on Cedar Bluff. It's in a strip mall between I-40 and Middlebrook Pike. Almost to Middlebrook. That's my quick takeout place. I like their tangerine beef and Singapore noodles.
The Mexican place next to it has good tamales.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
[quote=knoxgarden;8724772][quote=hiknapster;8723726]I've been to Hong Kong house, on her recommendation. Lots of other Asians eating there, which says a lot. Have a question for her, though...What would you recommend that I order?
Quote:

I go for the Sichuan stuff, usually ordering any specials for the night.
If you're used to Americanized Chinese, you may not care for it. They do have an American-Chinese side of the menu.
I can't remember if they have a buffet on Sunday. That may be a good time to try the different types.
If you like more Americanized Chinese, try Lotus Garden on Cedar Bluff. It's in a strip mall between I-40 and Middlebrook Pike. Almost to Middlebrook. That's my quick takeout place. I like their tangerine beef and Singapore noodles.
The Mexican place next to it has good tamales.
I liked Hong Kong House but wondered what you ordered. I don't like spicy so I'll pass on the sichuan!

I am going to check out Lotus Garden and my husband loves tamales so we can kill two birds with one stone. Perfect!

What has disheartened me about the local Chinese restaurants that I have visited is that they claim to have crab in them but it is surimi. Bleah.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM

17 posts, read 34,802 times
thanks everyone... lots of good advice

I think Roux Barb will be one the first places we hit. It sounds great and we love the BYOP for wine. I miss that here in St. Louis... we had a few good BYO places in Pittsburgh that we frequented.

I have eaten a couple of Bonefish Grill's before, and I agree... they are good.

I think we have most bases covered... except pizza. Are there any good wood or brick oven type places? Or any local pizza joint that does a really good pie? It took us 6 months to find one in St. Louis that we liked. Word of advice if you ever go to St. Louis, don't try St. Louis style pizza... its on this crispy-wafer like crust with an awful cheese called Provel that for some reason people love in St. Louis. It sticks to the roof of your mouth and is gummy!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM

I like Mellow Mushroom for Pizza, but that's because I don't like red sauce on my pizza. I order MM's pesto pizza and add pepperoni, sausage, black olives and mushrooms. There's one on the strip and one in Farragut off Campbell Station.
Haven't been there in months. I've discovered a great pizza dough I can make in my bread machine and I now do my own. I put on all of the above plus fresh mozzerella and red onions. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville