Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times

Advertisements

So, I'm sitting on the front porch today around lunch enjoying a Dt. Mountain Dew when I see all these critters flying around my tree in the front yard...then I notice the leaves of the tree really look horrible, so I investigate further. I thought they were sweat bees from a distance, then June Bugs, but then I saw these curious green looking creatures all over my poor little tree.

So, I'm spending my evening trying to learn how to eradicate these little boogers. They are DESTRUCTIVE. I think I'll nuke'em with Sevin.

I'd never even heard of them before.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Beetles/japanese_beetle_001.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Beretta; 06-17-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: fixed link to picture for copyright issues :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
lawd have mercy and that creature flys????? the horror!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Japanese Beetles are horrible to plants. We fight them in the garden, too. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 PM

At least now I think I know what's caused a couple of curious brown spots in our lawn. I couldn't figure it out because I hadn't seen June Bugs (these are the adult forms of the grubs I'm used to causing lawn damage).

I have heard of using the traps for these beetles, but after a little research, it seems those might attract even more of them.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM

I've never had an infestation as big as what it seems yours is. I always just pull them off and mash them. Sevin will hopefully work!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM

I probably actually saw about 50-100 around our yard today. I've got a plan for them in the morning. I've been doing some research here:

Managing Adult Japanese Beetles | University of Kentucky Entomology

I'm gonna hit them with the Ortho Product mentioned using the hose end sprayer. Luckily, this is a small cherry tree (which appears to be on their favorites list).

I'm a little disappointed because I LOVE to plant roses, but they apparently attack those as a first choice, so I'm a little hesitant.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM

77 posts, read 246,221 times
Default Yes, their diet includes roses, cherry trees, etc.

I have yet to see one this year, but I'm sure it won't be long... Two years ago, I did the same "what happened to my cherry tree"... Seven dust/spray equivalents only kill them after ingestion or direct spray - meaning they still eat & damage. I have also had to protect my plum tree, grape leaves, eggplant, and peaches. I found that they are drawn to thinner leafed trees/plants, and ones that bear fruit or have edible parts.
Milky spore, while expensive, is great once established & safe on everything else. It kills them while in grub state, so the only beetles to attack are from other areas. It's a better alternative to lawn applications of chemicals, but there's still no way around just directly squashing these bugs.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM

77 posts, read 246,221 times
Default oh, if you have any wild blackberries nearby...

If you have any wild/native blackberries on your property - you may want to get rid of those - talk about beetle feast and festival! There are always more of them on the blackberry leaves than on any of my rose bushes...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM

We have some sort of Holly tree of some sort that they were flying around but I couldn't see any damage. I'm trying to figure out if this is a plant they go after. Thus far, I've only seen damage on the flowering cherry.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM

If you pull up any wild blackberries, don't throw them away. I'll take a start, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville