Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM

65 posts, read 197,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
I'm really not going to get into all the argument but I can say that they just mentioned that this evacuation is costing Knoxville a lot of money since they wont let the evacuees go back home maybe for a few more days.

Its neighborly to give to those unfortunate as we pray someone would do the same for us but I believe its okay to complain about the people complaining when its our Tax dollars supporting them right now, a little "gripe" never hurt anyone, just lets us get it off our chest.

I think like everyone says, there are good and bad every where in all walks of life, every city, every county, every state and there always will be the "few"who think everyone owes them

I was under the impression that these were churches and relief agencies such as the Red Cross that were providing the funds(through donations & volunteer work) for these services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 9,722 times
I haven't read through all the posts, but I read the article on the link; it's one thing to be ungrateful for free food, but if the complaint is true (a bunch of snacks, no real food, people getting sick as a result), then it's valid. People need more than donuts, even in an emergency. If they are being served reasonably balanced meals, then the complainers needs to evaluate what's important, but I think most of us (if we couldn't afford to get anything else) would be put off by the idea of being forced to junk food every day. I understand the desire to not break the bank, but.... cookies all the time? No thanks.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by assatafayejenkins View Post
If they are being served reasonably balanced meals, then the complainers needs to evaluate what's important, but I think most of us (if we couldn't afford to get anything else) would be put off by the idea of being forced to junk food every day. I understand the desire to not break the bank, but.... cookies all the time? No thanks.
But that's the point. They werent being forced to eat anything. The Park West Church on Middlebrook Pike has convenience stores and a pizza place around it. Did they come with no money either? I mean, as if the free ride to safety wasn't enough but the free food wasn't good enough either??? What ever happened to being able to take care of yourself? Are they really that dependant? Did they forget how to be resourceful??? Then why not complain that no one gave you free clothes? I mean seriously now, that's just being ungrateful period. Focus on the positive. It could be worse, they could have been left in New Orleans with no food, no water, no electricity. I say bring on the cookies.

LCG

Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by assatafayejenkins View Post
I haven't read through all the posts, but I read the article on the link; it's one thing to be ungrateful for free food, but if the complaint is true (a bunch of snacks, no real food, people getting sick as a result), then it's valid. People need more than donuts, even in an emergency. If they are being served reasonably balanced meals, then the complainers needs to evaluate what's important, but I think most of us (if we couldn't afford to get anything else) would be put off by the idea of being forced to junk food every day. I understand the desire to not break the bank, but.... cookies all the time? No thanks.
The article states that the sweets were supplements and that two hot meals per day were being served with entree's such as lasagna, fried chicken, hamburgers.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
The article states that the sweets were supplements and that two hot meals per day were being served with entree's such as lasagna, fried chicken, hamburgers.
Thank you! I am not trying to be rude, but kindly read the article in its entirety before posting. It is really frustrating.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I consider myself to be charitable and perhaps a little gullible.

However, when doing someone a good deed or a helping hand and getting no gratitude ( or complaints back) the saying comes to mind-------------"fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice , shame on me "

Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
There have always been and will always be unhappy complainers. Some people are never happy, nor do they even want to be.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Some of them may NOT have had other money, if it had been me, right now I wouldn't have had any other money. That would have been my only food... but the person complaining said that's all there was... someone else said it wasn't (the SHELTER MANAGER, of all people... the last person to admit if they were only serving junk).... but, anyway, I said that IFFFFFFFFFFFFF what the complainer said was true, it was valid. Kindly read my post, because I DID read the article.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
But that's the point. They werent being forced to eat anything. The Park West Church on Middlebrook Pike has convenience stores and a pizza place around it. Did they come with no money either? I mean, as if the free ride to safety wasn't enough but the free food wasn't good enough either??? What ever happened to being able to take care of yourself? Are they really that dependant? Did they forget how to be resourceful??? Then why not complain that no one gave you free clothes? I mean seriously now, that's just being ungrateful period. Focus on the positive. It could be worse, they could have been left in New Orleans with no food, no water, no electricity. I say bring on the cookies.

LCG

With the economy the way it is, "being resourceful" may not cut it. They may not have had jobs when they were evacuated or they may have had other financial troubles. You don't know what their situations were already. Even people that go to work every day and are living outside of hurricane zones are struggling right now. As I said in the other post, you don't know if everyone had money or not. I actually don't have any money myself and I'm not an evacuee.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,777 times
When I drove by the Park West this weekend, I saw with my own eyes people out front by the concrete wall drinking out of brown paper bags. They had money.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm sure most people are very grateful for the help they received. But as another poster said, there are always going to be people that you can't please and it seems the news reporters can always find them.

LCG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville