Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,537,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Ok....who here has and can drive a bus?
hahahahhahahahahaha, omgosh mb, you caught me off guard with that post! touche'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,343,017 times
Sorry, are my true colors showing??

Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,215,710 times
awhile back I read a thread on Vicksburg Mississippi.

A resident of Vicksburg said they opened their arms to Katrina evacuees and "got used" and taken advantage of .

They stated they believe the "better" evacuees went to Houston and Vicksburg got the "undesireables and ungratefull ones"

Old 09-03-2008, 05:08 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,449,420 times
Well I have family in Washington State and they to say the same thing when it comes to crime since Katrina. What is so terrible is not only the crime that came from open arms but the cost to tax payers before-during-after the storms. What about the people who actually became better off because of the handouts? FEMA gave out how much money? I swear to some a Hurricane is like winning the lottery, they get a free trip with room and board.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Well I have family in Washington State and they to say the same thing when it comes to crime since Katrina. What is so terrible is not only the crime that came from open arms but the cost to tax payers before-during-after the storms. What about the people who actually became better off because of the handouts? FEMA gave out how much money? I swear to some a Hurricane is like winning the lottery, they get a free trip with room and board.
Good point! Maybe we should send a letter to the creator of this news article and ask them to do an artical called something like: "How did the evacuees of Katrina spend their hand outs, how many families are better off now because of them?"

Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
When we first moved here, it was right before Wilma. By the time we moved into our rental, the hurricane had already passed through southwest Florida. As bad luck would have it, we moved next door to these creepy people that survived on scamming the system.

The woman told me I should apply for hurricane relief assistance. But that wasn't true. We didn't move because of the hurricane. She said I should apply, anyway.

Then she asked if I was married, and when I told her yes, she said, "That's too bad."

Not once did I say we needed anything. I just wanted to know where the electric and water departments were located. Of course, since she didn't pay bills, she had no idea!

Thank goodness, they were evicted the next month.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When we first moved here, it was right before Wilma. By the time we moved into our rental, the hurricane had already passed through southwest Florida. As bad luck would have it, we moved next door to these creepy people that survived on scamming the system.

The woman told me I should apply for hurricane relief assistance. But that wasn't true. We didn't move because of the hurricane. She said I should apply, anyway.

Then she asked if I was married, and when I told her yes, she said, "That's too bad."

Not once did I say we needed anything. I just wanted to know where the electric and water departments were located. Of course, since she didn't pay bills, she had no idea!

Thank goodness, they were evicted the next month.

Case study #1- they did not pay rent or utility bills with the funds.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,784,738 times
Quote:
Reading between the lines: Poor, mainly African American inner-city residents don't deserve help during a natural disaster because many of them get government assistance "that I pay for." I can guarantee that the amount of tax money given to those hurricane victims was infinitesimal compared to the amount our government gives to major corporations and contractors every year

Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 PM

65 posts, read 197,950 times
Here are some additional stories on Gustav evacuees (not negative).

Gustav evacuees in Tennessee sit tight, wait to go home / - Knoxville, TN - Local News, Regional News, National News, International News, Breaking News, Consumer News, Health News, Morning News, Political News

Gustav evacuees still wait for word in Knoxville

Gustav evacuees hoping to go home soon

Evacuees find haven in Knox : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

I see a lot of false information being posted on this thread, especially regarding Katrina. I don't really don't feel like debating this now (although I may tomorrow ). But here is a little info on N.O.

The city of New Orleans and the nation for that matter relies on the working poor of New Orleans and minimum wage jobs (not legal/illegal immigrants) in order to provide low cost goods and services.

Without New Orleans, the United States would have to find alternativesuppliers for many of the country’s important consumer products. Louisiana’s natural resources are crucial to the operation of the United States, and include:

Petroleum, Chemical and Mineral Industries
• 11 percent of U.S. petroleum
• 19 percent of the country’s reserves of natural gas.
• Louisiana is a primary source of the nation’s crude oil
• Second in production of the nation’s natural gas
• Second in total energy production
• Second largest refiner of petroleum for consumer use as gasoline and plastic
• 25 percent of America’s petrochemicals, including basic chemicals, plastics and fertilizers
• The largest producer of salt in America
• Second-highest mineral producer in the U.S.
(These stats may be dated by a couple of years)

One of the World’s Most Important Ports
More than 6,000 vessels move through New Orleans annually along the Mississippi River, making it the world’s busiest waterway and integral to the country’s economic stability.
In 2004, more than 380,000 jobs in the United States were related to the cargo activity at the Port of New Orleans’ marine terminals, and these job holders received $16.9 billion in combined personal income. The marine cargo activity at the port supported $37 billion of output in the
nation, and generated $2.8 billion in tax revenue.

• A leading port for the movement of imported steel
• Top port for imported natural rubber
• The nation’s premier coffee-handling port
• An important port of call for the cruise industry, servicing more than 700,000 passengers

If offshore drilling is allowed (McCain) these numbers will increase substantially.

Other note worthy aspects of N.O.

Seafood
• Louisiana’s fishing industry has been the second-largest in America, accounting for 26 percent of all seafood landed in the country and 40 percent of all seafood consumed by Americans each year. New Orleans is universally considered one of the top three culinary destinations in the world, a tribute to its indigenous Creole cuisine that is found only in the Crescent City and is an outgrowth of the city’s unique blend of nationalities and cultures.

Cash Crops
• Top 10 largest producer of cotton, sugarcane and rice in the U.S.

Last edited by think365; 09-03-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM

65 posts, read 197,950 times
Quote:
What!!? I guess some people don't believe in reporting the facts...

See below:

Katrina refugees to be scattered across 28 states

I'm sure the handful of people that MAY be in Washington State after Katrina are the cause of the crime problem there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville