Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 16,494 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, new to this forum but have found many interesting subjects and pictures.
i currently live in Florida and i am soooooo tired of this place. been living here for 22yrs and 16 yrs in Minnesota. cant stand the heat, the traffic, don't care about the ocean, the land is so flat. and green. the wife and i really want the change of seasons. the winter, the snow, and especially the colors of fall.
we are currently fixing up the house to sell in about a couple of months, hopefully it wont take to long to sell. in the beginning of the year the wife and i will be making a quick trip up to knoxville area to look around. we have heard so much about this area and i have visited once there and its gorgous.
the houses there are so much cheaper as we have been looking, the taxes are so much cheaper and i would assume the insurance is cheaper.
any advise from anyone who live there would be appreciated. one of our big things is finding a job and a house at the same time we sell ours. so timing is everything.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM

one of the things we are looking for in a house is, i want at least an acre of land.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Good luck with the move!

Spend a few hours and start reading all the posts here about these very topics, they have been covered over and over (even today).

An acre of land is not a problem, well it could be....it depends.
On the water? Well, sure, but the cost would probably make you shudder.
Close to downtown? Probably not going to happen.
However, there are many places out a ways that you can find an acre, at a reasonable price. The prices drop the further you are away.

You need to connect with a good Realtor and see what fits your needs and budget. They can also put a touch of reality into your wish list and set you in the right direction.

As far as a job, things are slow here, but it always depends on the type of work you are looking for, and the money you expect to earn. Along with the cheaper houses, taxes, and insurance come lower wages. It kind of works hand in hand that way.

Hope you are not looking for a lot of snow by the way. I've lived here since 94 and have only seen one really big snow.

Hope your house sells fast!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM

hey barking spider
i do know you'll get snow from time to time. which to me is perfect. i lived in MN for 16yrs and have seen enough of snow. not looking for water front, would be nice but not needed. i am in the cable business here in florida, i do a have a company up there in knoxville that i could transfer if an opening is available

Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogmoe View Post
hey barking spider
i do know you'll get snow from time to time. which to me is perfect. i lived in MN for 16yrs and have seen enough of snow. not looking for water front, would be nice but not needed. i am in the cable business here in florida, i do a have a company up there in knoxville that i could transfer if an opening is available
What company? I work for the cable company, too.

Our snow consists of once, maybe twice a year we get a dusting that is melted by 2 p.m., if it makes it that long.

I'm a Yankee, too, that lived in Florida for 10 long, horrifying years. Fort Myers.

I think the weather is perfect here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville