Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
BRH BRH started this thread

99 posts, read 347,402 times

Advertisements

It seems that more local businesses are being affected by the economy every day. I just noticed yesterday while driving by Turkey Creek, that several area businesses had closed. In the new Campbell Station Center near Turkey Creek, the Del Mar's Baja Cafe is now gone (this is the third Taco Del Mar/ Del Mar's that has opened and closed within a year in the area. The one in Sweetwater was only open about 6 months and I believe the location on Cumberland Ave. is gone now as well). Also, in the same center, I noticed they were taking down the sign for Family Book Outlet, so I am assuming it is now closed also.

Then when I stopped at Moe's in Turkey Creek to have lunch, I noticed that Shane's Rib Shack, next door had closed now as well. (and I loved that place). Also, it always seemed like they did pretty decent business, so I'm not sure why they didn't make it.

I really hope, for everyone's sake, that things improve soon. It sure is depressing to see things closing up and leaving at this rate.

And as far as restaurants go; this has really been a bad year. Anymore, you almost need to call ahead and make sure the restaurant it still there before going out to dinner. I know I will personally miss several chains that have left this past year (Blue Coast Burrito, Schlotzkey's, Taco Del Mar, Shane's Rib Shack, Atlanta Bread Co., Cuovo Calypso Cafe).

Has anyone else noticed any recent closings in the past few days? I kind of figured that there would be a rash of them after the Christmas season, but I am suprised at how many closings we are seeing each week. (and especially newer businesses in popular areas like Turkey Creek that haven't been there very long).

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
It's unfortunate but it's happening to the entire state.

It used to be in Nashville that you could quit your job at 9am and have a new one by 5pm. Now.. You can't even get McDonalds or Mapco to give you an interview. I wonder if it's the economy or the TONS of new residents pumping into the state each day or a combo of both ?

I love Tennessee, It's such a great and beautiful state. This year marks my 10th year of living here and unless something gives on the job market by April, It's going to be my last...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,884 times
It's happening everywhere. Two of my brother-in-laws have been laid off. One in Nebraska and one in North Carolina. And I have a brother on the verge of being laid off in New Jersey. The bad is everywhere.

LCG

Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
And no Honda Hoot this year -- or maybe ever again.

http://www.hondahoot.com/index.aspx?bhcp=1

The years we attended, it seemed the event pumped a lot of tourist dollars into the economy. I know we returned to our hotel room several times to see dismayed travelers who didn't realize the rally was going on and were having a hard time finding a vacancy

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
I have to agree with LCG, the bad is happening everywhere. It seems whoever I call to chat with in NY, it is the same old story over and over again.

Places are going out of business at a rapid rate, credit card debt is mounting just to pay for fuel oil or groceries.It doesn't seem to be just one economic group either, it is blue collar to white collar and even proffessionals.The economy is bad period.

I know my comments are a huge invitation for someone to point a finger and say it is their fault for living above their means and having a lavish lifestyle. While it is true I won't argue that, I for one am glad that circumstances forced me into retirement and struggling to learn to live on a fixed income.Bill and I have been downsizing all these years and changing our spending habits. We almost have it under control and it makes me glad we've been learning to do without and we have no credit cards. I wouldn't want to be someone in their prime that has to face the reality of no job and no way to climb out from the debt and no way to pay for fuel to heat the house.

So it isn't just happening to Tn., which doesn't make it any less shocking to see it first hand.Restaurants and take out are one of the first things people cut out of their budget as they tighten their belts. All extras have to go and it would seem that stores that repeat what everyone sells are hard hit too.

I'm glad the state of the economy isn't my job to fix. Good luck to whomever that falls to.
Pam

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 01-09-2009 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: typos(sigh)

Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
We have had at least two casualties in Maryville that I have noticed restaurant wise and a third I believe but want to confirm before I post.

Up the Creek at the split has closed and the Maryville location of Little Italy's has closed. I will report back on the sandwich shop that looks shuttered.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
And from the state with the highest unemployment, MI, I can only add to the proof it's happening everywhere. Just in the past month we've lost our only Ruby Tuesday, a furniture store, our only Ponderosa and plenty of rumors have surfaced of more to come. All during 2008 businesses were closing up (maybe due to our economy we got started earlier) like CiCi's Pizza buffet, Rite Aid, Famous Dave's BBQ, several other local restaurants, factories, gas stations, dry cleaners, Blockbuster Video, Hollywood video and 6 auto repair shops. And that's just what I know about. And to make the fear of increased crime during these desperate times worse, several police officers here were laid off last week too.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
TNKY - you made me think about a couple of things. Maryville is the world headquarter of Ruby Tuesdays and with the closing of 90 stores coming this year I expect that there might be some local folks laid off. The Maryville - Alcoa Cici's Pizza closed, Alcoa Aluminum plant laid off a bunch on Tuesday, Mastercraft and Sea Ray boats in Knoxville and Monroe Co have laid off this week. There are healthcare cuts being made.

Some things that have gone up in this economy: gun sales, gun carry permits and classes, junk removal services (cleaning out foreclosure homes), thrift shops.

ETA: I can confirm that The Palace Cafe & Catering in Maryville (backside of the Palace Theater) has closed as well. What a shame; they had great food. The steamed sandwiches were to die for.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-09-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 AM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
It's really sad to see but it's not just here, my town in FL on what used to be called Restaurant Row and also all the car dealerships is looking more like a "ghost highway" More and more restaurants closed and some were big chains.

I saw on the news yesterday that over 73,000 stores will close in the first half of 2009. Even Walmart didnt meet their expectations in sales so I know it's bad.

I dont feel this big bailout is going to help either but since it looks like it will go through we can only pray it works.

Pam and Bill, I too had to learn how to live on a fixed budget, its not easy sometimes and sometimes between pay days its pretty broke around here, we still have found the way to make it. We do not live on or have credit cards either, so if we dont have cash we dont get it and we stay home. One way I make my money stretch is to buy Angel Food, its a great program and the food is pretty good especially the steaks. I just oredered this months, you can now order online. If you havent heard of it I suggest everyone search out "Angel Food" and read about the program, you are helping yourself and helping the churchs to be able to help Seniors.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
It's happening everywhere. Two of my brother-in-laws have been laid off. One in Nebraska and one in North Carolina. And I have a brother on the verge of being laid off in New Jersey. The bad is everywhere.

LCG
I absolutley HATE it but my wife and I are moving to Houston, TX because we have jobs lined up. It's really no secret that they have jobs availible but I've been out of work since October and I just can't do it anymore.

I'll really miss Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville